4 Elements or Glyphs? -loved azkend and wanting a step above the typical match 3

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cranker, Aug 23, 2009.

1. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #1 cranker, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    I am looking for puzzle games with lots of polish and quality as I found in Azkend. Anyone tried these games or have something to recommend that is a step above your typical match 3 game?

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Try out Dragon Portals it's by the same people that made Azkend.

You might also like: Match 3d Flick Puzzle, Adubble, The Treasures of Montezuma.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Although I have not purchased it - a lot of people like Rise of Atlantis as a good match 3. I have it on my wish list...

Also Trism is a favorite amongst a lot of people as well. I did not personally like the slide mechanisms, but a lot of folks do...

4. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Thanks for this list :) I am hopefully looking for input from those who might have played Azkend ( will pick up dragon portals ) and can let me know from their expereince some similat quality games. I am not interested in the typical match 3 games that are just that with not much else to add. Just looking for the stand out one that add something extra to the mix with a nice polish. Someone mentioned that 4 elements and Glyphs were good so I was hoping someone else has tried these too.

5. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal

Thx:) Rise of Atlantis looks interesting and a little different !!

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have Azkend - love Azkend. Dragon Portals not as good, but still fun. Hard to match the style of Azkend in any other match 3 that I have come across - the ones that I consistently come back to are Gemmed!, and Treasures of Montezuma - but truthfully, Azkend really stands on its own. I have not looked at 4 elements, or Glyphs but will since you mention. Treasures of Montezuma is a lot of fun, and has some nice leveling, powers, etc. Gemmed! is just sort of cute - also has interesting powers. Biggest issue with Gemmed! is the stupid (frustrating) timer that causes rocks to form, locks you in a cell, causes ice to form, goo to form - only give you 60 seconds, and so if your blocks don't work out right - just when you free a door to escape, or free a guy from jail - another rock blocks the entrance, or jail cell locks you up again...

7. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    One other Question............does bejeweled 2 have anything special going for it other that the match 3 concept ?

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    I'd personally recommend Stoneloops! of Jurassica over Atlantis, but that's just me.

I feel Match 3d Flick Puzzle offers a lot for match 3d game, at least try the lite out, I think you'll like it and +111111 for Treasures of Montezuma. You must get that one, MUST I say! ;)

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    I would say no, compared to the other available match 3 games in the store, it's a very simple, basic match 3 game.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Well -the iphone version is unfortunatley dumbed down. There are 4 hidden modes in the PC version that add a lot. Even the Palm version had some hidden modes that made things more fun - blocks falling up and/or down. The match 5 with the zap everything cube addes to the game play. THe bombs for matching 4 objects makes things fun - can sometimes get some huge explosion - but for the iphone - I don't know that it is worth it from what Ihave read. If it had all the modes - would have bought it as a no brainer - even though I own several versions - I like it a lot - but not for just standard old bejeweled 2 - it needs to bring more to the table - still an excellent game compared with many match 3 out there...

11. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #13 cranker, Aug 23, 2009
    I agree Azkend is really one of a kind and dragon portals is fun but not as good for sure. I will try out your suggestions. Gemmed looks good:) .............strange, only see gemmed Lite available for download.

I want Azkend 2 !!!!! Glyphs seems to look similar to Azkend but no reviews.....

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    You mean Glyph right? Not Glyphs? Astraware generally does a pretty good job with their games. They listen to feedback, and continue to improve things. Handmark I think just sort of sell things - although they generally charge a premium price even if the apps are only so-so. I will have to do some background checking on Glyph - owning the Palm - I am surprised that I did not come across this, as I followed Astraware pretty closely over the past couple of years - Not sure how I missed this..

13. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Yes Glyph......sorry ......................let me know what you think when you check it out:)

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I will need to d/l the trial version to my Palm and see what it is like _ I don't know how tthey did the free version - but it should give me some idea. Probably reply back later today, or tomorrow.

Rise of Atlantis looks good - to be honest been waiting on a price drop - may never happen, but....

I was waiting on Azkend and that paid off.

15. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #17 cranker, Aug 23, 2009
    I was sure Rise of Atlantis was 4.99 this morning, and now it's 2.99.

mixed this up with another game (glyph) ......sorry :(

16. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    If you are gonna get dragon portals you should pick it up now as today is the last day of the sale I think.

17. neon_guide

neon_guide Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Yeah absolutely awesome music, and the no-timer thing makes it very relaxing

Azkend is awesome but getting to the end of all the survival bits is hardcore.

And as for Dragon portals, all the presentation, power ups and little bits on the side are awesome, its just a shame that the actual game is so ****ing boring to play. Boring and frustrating even.

18. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    I feel the same about dragon portals..............I loved azkend so I am really trying to love this game...................but not so far :(