Dead Effect - new sci-fi FPS [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hochy, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That's a pretty poor excuse for what is essentially, "We don't have time or money to make a good looking game for your device". Imagine if all developers had that attitude, or if Rockstar were to take Max Payne 3's port to PC and make it look exactly like the console versions. (some developers are actually this lazy; you can't even adjust the resolution or key bindings, let alone graphics in their PC ports).

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Well, it's pretty simple. The developers are speculating that they will waste less and earn more, if they make the game playable on more devices. Rather than going into quality and make it playable on the last two models.

The mobile market is currently not made for setting new mile stones in graphics, because it just doesn't pay off. Unless a specific game/developer team decides to dedicate all of their time to graphics, hoping that their game will shine (and shine as the only game in that area); example DT. People with newest devices always download it just to see and show off the gorgeous graphics. Whoops, went off-topic.

It's not the question of laziness, but the question of profit.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #123 JBRUU, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Automatically downgrading quality per each idevice model fixes this, and it's the standard set by pretty much every other developer and what's come to be expected on the AppStore. In other words, step up or step down. It's simply not necessary to play to the lowest common denominator anymore.

I'm not asking for Shadowgun: Zombies, but when a dev mentions that they didn't add ragdolls specifically because older devices would chug, I scratch my head a bit. Having the game automatically detect what device you're using and adjust accordingly should be relatively simple, not to mention it's become a standard in this market. I wouldn't even make a big deal out of this, but canned animations can get old quite fast, and real physics add a degree of unpredictability, and, at times, humor. Plus, the game is supposed to be quite short - why skimp on worthwhile features that could make a short experience a better one?

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    .... You guys do realize how ridiculously difficult game developing is, right?

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #125 Rip73, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Or that not having the time, or possibly funding, to implement all the effects or scaling that people want does not equate to laziness (a term I'm growing more and more disdainful of due to the complete lack of understanding of the development process that it displays, there is in fact nothing lazy about developing as it is a very challenging and demanding process).

Its simply cost effectiveness. A very reasonable widely used business practice.

6. Hochy

Hochy Active Member

Mar 13, 2013
    peace

HUH, pretty amazing, gossip become truth, truth become law?
    I never said anything about excuses. We haven't ragdolls...end of story. :)
    One of the reasons was definitely "slower devices" and time needed to reasonably implement such a feature (time/resources).
    Again, no excuses. Simple math.
    1 programmer (partial work with his regular work)
    + amount of time to finish solid game
    = more work for animator to prepare acceptable "less consumption" animations/no ragdolls
    Sure I will accept full responsibility for such a decision. It's our risk. On the other hand, we avoid many potential problems by this decision. Noone said "we won't add them later". Simply wait few months, Dead effect will run nowhere. And with future updates, it will be probably better and better game...depends on success of course. :)
    btw. if any of you buy our game, please post credits here and compare them with other team (like mentioned rockstar?). No excuses, just for fun.

Dead effect is our first game for mobile platform and for me personally it's great experiment.
    Small team, solid game, short mobile game development period, relatively low personal investments.
    We did much worse cuts than ragdolls. :)

And don't forget. As a customer, you are most important piece of machine in hierarchy called game industry. Another simple math.
    No ragdolls + No buy = No more games without ragdolls/No more games, by inDev Brain

It's all up to you, customer!

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That all seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    Thanks for that.

(Original post replying to edited to avoid double up)

8. Hochy

Hochy Active Member

Mar 13, 2013
    #128 Hochy, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Final post

This is paraphrase which I promissed (Offspring - Smash):

"Ahhhhh, it's time to relax,
    and you know what that means,
    a glass of wine, your favourite easy chair,
    and of course this game playing on your mobile device.
    So go on, indulge yourself,
    that's right, kick off your shoes, put your feet up,
    lean back and just enjoy the game.
    After all, game soothes even the savage beasts."

Ok guys, Dead Effect is out and this is my last post here in this thread.
    If you have any troubles or suggestion, don't worry and let us know.
    There is new Dead Effect thread on "iPhone and iPod touch Games" and
    one guy from BulkyPix, who will be in touch with you (Vincenzo78140).
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=203351
    You can also contact directly BulkyPix support.
    And again, don't worry to tell us about Dead Effect, what you think, what zou want etc. We want hear you! Your comments will help us improve our game.
    THANK YOU GUYS FOR SUPPORT!
    One last request.
    ENJOY OUR GAME!!! :)

9. lukasK

lukasK Active Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Creative Director at 9cubes LTD
    Swindon, United Kingdoms
    good work Hochy! what's the plan after release? do you have any updates/extensions in plan ?