Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

View Poll Results: Asking users to invite 10 friends to advance a level is:
Really smart if it gets you more sales, I'm all for it 4 21.05%
Smart but maybe crossing the line 3 15.79%
O.K. but I wouldn't do it on one of my apps 3 15.79%
A bit much and creates a bad president for other developers and the users. 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
This totally depends on your target audience. Actual gamers usually hate this nonsense, I know I do, but actual gamers don't play candy crush.
His point is still valid. Replace "actual" by "core", there you go.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Great article on this topic - How to beat Candy Crush Saga
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v View Post
Gaming is playing and playing is learning.
Oh god I'm pulling out of this conversation now. You sound like some sort of corporate buzzword spewing robot with absolutely no connection to reality or gamers.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Oh god I'm pulling out of this conversation now. You sound like some sort of corporate buzzword spewing robot with absolutely no connection to reality or gamers.
No connection to reality or gamers Mate, I have played competitive Counter-Strike for 3 years for the team that attended worldwide WCG finals two times in a row and placed 5th at ESL Europe. I have founded two international progaming portals and leagues in CS 1.6, Warcraft 3 and DOTA. Seriously mate, your opinion is very elitist and arrogant

I did game design of core games, as well as casual ones. Don't wanna sound rude, but honestly - I'm 100% sure I have more gaming experience than you And yes, I do development and marketing of casual and mobile games now. And they are exactly the same type of games as any other hardcore one.

That quote I wrote you about playing and learning is actually from game design bible Theory of Fun wrote by Raph Koster. He's just another another corporate buzzword spewing robot who did whole game design of Ultima Online.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Theory of fun, while overall an interesting read, is indeed full of bullshit bingo trying to "prove" the valid point that you learn something by playing and learning is fun. The statements themselves however are really not to be taken too seriously. They are a form of marketing because smart ass statements that are easy to remember help drive sales. I remember him citing Einstein in there: play is the highest form of research. Yeah, really.

It's just like almost all management books being full of bullshit bingo for the same reason.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Then... I need to stop listening to first-class game designers and psychologists and start accepting professional opinions from people on TouchArcade forums with two games and 1000 downloads. // Ending this pointless flame.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v View Post
Then... I need to stop listening to first-class game designers and psychologists and start accepting professional opinions from people on TouchArcade forums with two games and 1000 downloads. // Ending this pointless flame.
Practically nothing you've said makes sense. First somebody clearly stated their own opinion, which you called "a statistical fallacy". Really? Perhaps that's why they clarified it as just one single opinion.

Then you said "a woman playing candies can't be a gamer?", implying they have the same priorities as other gamers, but instantly follow with "but with different priorities", which suggests you're actually agreeing with Royce in his statement that "hardcore" gamers generally don't like this type of business model.

Then you ask him to clarify what he meant, and he explained that he was talking about a certain sub-set of gamer... to which you responded with a comment about gamers being split into sub-sets, repeating what he'd just said himself. Again, you're just agreeing with him, yet somehow still arguing.

Is it any wonder he called you a "buzzword spewing robot"? You genuinely don't seem to know what you're saying, it's almost like you're reading lines straight from a book... which you then admitted to doing.

Still, it's been amusing to read.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Still, it's been amusing to read.
Yeah, true. Which means not only games and learning can be fun but self contradictions can also be fun to spot. A lot of things can be the source of fun! Fun is everywhere! What a great title for a new book.