Codea: coding (or learning to) directly on the iPad...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ezak, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Hey there,

I bumped into a pretty awesome little app named Codea the other day. I'm pretty sure it's super famous but well, maybe there are others like me that also live in a cave.
    It's obviously not a serious developping environment, but I believe it's great for anyone that wants to learn, or just try some code.

It's a very polished app that lets your program in lua directly on the iPad, and the devs have implemented a few nice APIs.
    Regarding the graphics, it's targetting 2D drawings, but since I have no more laptop for the moment, I started using it during my trip to Paris to do some 3D testing (wanted to try some rendering trick Glenn Corpes mentionned on his blog). I ended up building a software renderer entirely on the iPad.

Anyway, here is the result.

I seriously recommend Codea if you want to learn, it comes with a bunch nice examples and it's very stable. Here is the Codea website: http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/

Cheers

2. That's amazing Ezak. And thanks for the kind words. I saw your creation posted elsewhere as well.

Just to let everyone know: we'll be open sourcing the Codea engine (everything minus the code editor) soon. We're finding that we're even starting to write our own games in Codea.

It performs well enough to create great games, fast. So we hope others pick up the engine and start to use it for development of their own projects.

3. !LakeviewHotel!

Dec 1, 2011
    And this tool would be freeware regardless of non-commercial and commercial apps? Or will it have the same pricing method as corona or stencylworks?

4. The tool, Codea, is not freeware. It's $7.99 on the App Store.

The open source engine will be released under a non-restrictive license, which is to be decided. Likely BSD or MIT style. So you could use the code as you please in commercial apps, games, tools and more.

We will impose the restriction that you can not use the term "Codea" in the name of your commercial or non-commercial apps. But other than that you will be able to develop with it as you please.

5. !LakeviewHotel!

Dec 1, 2011
    Been working on and off on a iOS game. Even though I don't know that much LUA(although I previously coded a bit for corona non-commercial), I'll check this out.