★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

JollyPop's BoOMle: first preview

08-03-2008, 05:57 AM
#1
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Send a message via ICQ to Yza
JollyPop's BoOMle: first preview

Hi!

As a member of newly formed team JollyPop I'm really proud to introduce us and our debut game here on Touch Arcade.


.:: ABOUT US ::.

JollyPop was formed two months ago with freelancers and matadors who worked for companies like THQ, Disney, RedBoss etc. We all are game enthusiastic and we spend a lot of sleepless nights because we want to bring you the fun of oldskool and experimental games, well designed and fully polished for your maximum pleasure from gaming. We hope we could comply with our slogan - touch the fun.

Nowadays we are hard working on several titles - and here - ladies and gentlemen - short preview of our game - BoOMle

.:: GAME PREVIEW ::.




BoOMles are small creatures which was kidnapped and forced into the coloured blocks or cages. Help them with escape, destroy evil's diamonds, fight the monsters. Colourfull planet with fully animated sceneries filled with puzzles is waiting for you. And here some interesting features:

- Game is writen in OpenGL - 3D space allows you intuitive zooming with only one touch.
- We developed special animating engine which allows us animate everything. The level in preview is runing up to 500 animations every frame.
- Every boomle interact with yours touches.
- Game has build in physical engine - that allows us better response and interaction with real world.
- Several game enviroments with special bonuses which will influence gameplay
- We expect 4 gameplay modes and up to 100 original puzzles + infinite or random levels
- Online scoring, original soundtrack
- We want to distribute the game with 7+ language translations


Youtube link | Pop Up


- youtube link

We hope the game will arrive on iTunes AppStore in late summer 2008. Price is not set yet.

Vit Haratek
CEO

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
We are looking for new team members. Are you an artist, musician, game designer, story-teller, webmaster, PR ... do you watn to translate our apps ... are you enthusiastic like us ? Do you want co-operate in some way?
send us an e-mail: admin@jollypop.net
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

P.S.: There may be some grammatical mistakes. Sorry for it - in fact - I'm from the Czech Republic and I want to learn English properly

Last edited by salsamd; 03-31-2009 at 05:23 PM.
08-03-2008, 06:11 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 88
Wow, after watching that YouTube video, consider me instantly sold! I love the style, and hey, even the song in the video was an excellent pick. I'll mention this on my site and over at Shacknews.com, and that you're looking for new team members.

Matt

08-03-2008, 06:38 AM
#3
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Send a message via ICQ to Yza
That's excelent !
Thank you a lot for posting the infos across the web This thread is our first public presentation so I'm really glad you like the game !

www.jollypop.net - game developer
08-03-2008, 06:45 AM
#4
I'm not even sure how this game plays, but i'm sold on the presentation alone.
08-03-2008, 06:56 AM
#5
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
I'm not even sure how this game plays, but i'm sold on the presentation alone.
It's a bit like Bejeweled or Diamond Twister, in that you line up matching colors, but instead of moving gems horizontally or vertically one square at a time, you draw the matches with your finger to remove them from the playfield. Various powerups help you along. Throw in a similar feature in Aurora Feint's where when you tilt the screen, the critters move in that direction, adding an extra element of strategy to the mix.

Matt
08-03-2008, 08:17 AM
#6
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Send a message via ICQ to Yza
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
It's a bit like Bejeweled or Diamond Twister, in that you line up matching colors, but instead of moving gems horizontally or vertically one square at a time, you draw the matches with your finger to remove them from the playfield. Various powerups help you along. Throw in a similar feature in Aurora Feint's where when you tilt the screen, the critters move in that direction, adding an extra element of strategy to the mix.
Yes, you are absolutely right! That's the main gameplay idea. Moreover, try to imagine hurdles of stage enviroments and monsters like moving rows/columns, falling boulders, blocks in grayscale colours, rising water, vapour in playfield etc. I'm sure you will see it in upcoming trailers

www.jollypop.net - game developer
08-03-2008, 12:10 PM
#7
If more developers took the time to make their apps presentation more professional and with good advertising like you have done there may be a lot better games out there for the iphone/ipod touch.

This game looks great, can't wait to get it. Just hurry up with the development!
08-03-2008, 10:51 PM
#8
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,491
wow, to be honest I wasn't sure about this game. I saw the screen shot and mixed feelings.

I love the the billboard and score sign (I pay attention to the details) and the creature in the back ground is very cool.

I don't like the art style of the boomies though, reminds me too much of snood. They all look like like a mix of 3 different eyes, mouths, colors. The other thing is that the slider and "power bar" seem to cover the boomies on the left and right, seems like there is a good chance for accidental input there.

I saved the image to my iphone and loaded it from the camera roll to test it out and my thumb puts half my thumb on the red boomie to the right on the first level and half on the slider. Trying to hit the outer edge of the boomie with my index finger i ended up having more contact with the green one next to it.

So I checked out the video and the presentation really sells it.

I'm not fond of the zooming that was happening though =/ only because it forces my perspective to one area when I'd prefer to start looking for my next chain.

Can you tell I used to be a beta tester? haha, now all that being said this is a game I will most certainly be keeping my eye on. The presentation and sheer style of it is exactly what I've been hoping for.

keep up the great work
08-04-2008, 03:49 AM
#9
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Send a message via ICQ to Yza
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
wow, to be honest I wasn't sure about this game. I saw the screen shot and mixed feelings.

I love the the billboard and score sign (I pay attention to the details) and the creature in the back ground is very cool.

I don't like the art style of the boomies though, reminds me too much of snood. They all look like like a mix of 3 different eyes, mouths, colors. The other thing is that the slider and "power bar" seem to cover the boomies on the left and right, seems like there is a good chance for accidental input there.

I saved the image to my iphone and loaded it from the camera roll to test it out and my thumb puts half my thumb on the red boomie to the right on the first level and half on the slider. Trying to hit the outer edge of the boomie with my index finger i ended up having more contact with the green one next to it.

So I checked out the video and the presentation really sells it.

I'm not fond of the zooming that was happening though =/ only because it forces my perspective to one area when I'd prefer to start looking for my next chain.

Can you tell I used to be a beta tester? haha, now all that being said this is a game I will most certainly be keeping my eye on. The presentation and sheer style of it is exactly what I've been hoping for.

keep up the great work
Hi VegantTnT!

Thank for your comment. We are not 100% satisfied with the look of boomies and surely they come through some pixel surgery but the concept will stay the same.

The side bars are not so problematic as it might seem. We implement a kind of algorithm which try to recognize what place you probably want to touch.

Thank for your comment about zooming - we will add the zooming feature as a option.

And now word about the betatesting. The development process is somewhere at the mid point so it will take some time until first betas will be released for testing purposes. Maybe we will later do some announcements about the testing which will be open for few volunteers - but this will come in right time.

www.jollypop.net - game developer
08-04-2008, 07:05 AM
#10
It's very refreshing to see a developer taking an active interest in the feedback of (potential) customers, and addressing concerns with honest and intellegent answers. I'm now looking forward to this offering, and hoping to see other future projects from this studio.