★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Trism Review and Discussion

View Poll Results: Which video explanation would you like first?
Bombs 0 0%
Locks 0 0%
Off-Screen Trisms 3 50.00%
Starshine Mode 3 50.00%
Achievements 0 0%
The Trism Forums 0 0%
Infinism 0 0%
Terminism 0 0%
Tutorials 0 0%
Other? Please explain in a post.... 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Trism Review and Discussion

Hey guys,

I did a video review on Trism explaining all the basics to the game here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV3GPkgH9Kw

Maybe this will enlighten some of you here on what this game has to offer

I also would like this to be a place for discussion on Trism, if you guys have any questions, comments, scores, screen shots, etc....anything post 'em!

Thanks

Twitter: @Zincous

Last edited by Zincous; 01-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.
01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
In my opinion, Trism is the best game on the iphone. It's the game I ALWAYS go back to when there's nothing else I wanna play. Everyone should own this game.

01-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firteen888 View Post
In my opinion, Trism is the best game on the iphone. It's the game I ALWAYS go back to when there's nothing else I wanna play. Everyone should own this game.
Aha! Thank you, exactly what I think. Trying to spread the word here at touch arcade.

01-13-2009, 02:16 PM
It's hard to tell just from the pictures, but this is the most addicting game ever. Especially trying to get all the acheivements (Which I have all of).
01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I dunno. There's much better accelerometer based puzzle games that come to mind. Gaia did rotation right by only having rotation along the vertical/horizontal axis of the iPhone, whereas Trism forces diagonal rotation, which is not as easy and got frustrating for me.

Sure, it has a LOT of modes, and if you love the gameplay then there's a lot to do. I didn't.
01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I enjoy it every once and a while, but it's fallen in rank from my first page of apps to the middle of my third page, and I find myself playing it less and less. It's really the only match-3 I bought, so for that it's great to just have on my iPod whenever I feel like playing it

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Neither the game nor your review explains what "Starshine Mode" is.
Can you enlighten me please?
The graphic symbol change when toggling between Starshine Mode being on or off shows it toggling between a black triangle or a multi-coloured / rainbow-coloured triangle, implying, to me, that Starshine Mode is the mode where you get rainbow-coloured triangles. In your gameplay demo however, you play with Starshine Mode set to OFF, yet you still get a rainbow triangle when matching 5 colours at once...

Also, you describe Terminism mode as being a mode whereby the timer presents you with locks or bombs.
As far as I was aware, you also get these same locks and bombs when playing in Infinism mode. Is this not correct?
If so, then what is the difference between Terminism and Infinism?

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Also, you describe Terminism mode as being a mode whereby the timer presents you with locks or bombs.
As far as I was aware, you also get these same locks and bombs when playing in Infinism mode. Is this not correct?
the bombs in infinism are on a counter. Everytime you make a move, you go down a number on the bomb, when it hits 0 it's game over
the bombs in terminism are on a timer. When a bomb appears you have to hurry to get rid of it. You don't have the luxury of taking your time to plan a move. After a certain amount of time, the bomb will explode, even if your nto making any moves.
01-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Neither the game nor your review explains what "Starshine Mode" is.
Can you enlighten me please?
The graphic symbol change when toggling between Starshine Mode being on or off shows it toggling between a black triangle or a multi-coloured / rainbow-coloured triangle, implying, to me, that Starshine Mode is the mode where you get rainbow-coloured triangles. In your gameplay demo however, you play with Starshine Mode set to OFF, yet you still get a rainbow triangle when matching 5 colours at once...

You bring up some very good points that I left out of the video. I'm sorry for skipping over some of these features. One because I only had ten mins and I knew it would come close. And two because I was going over the basic features of the game and Starshine mode was the complex strategy part of the game.

And of course I will gladly enlighten you

Ok for locks and bombs. Yes locks and bombs do show up in infinism but not on level one. They come randomly throughout the game after you make moves. The bombs are different though, they have a number on them in infinism and count down after each move you make, so it's not a timed thing, just strategic. Locks work the same way as in terminism and infinism.

There is a Trism called a star trism and it is black in infinism that I also didn't get a chance to go over. This pieces gives you starwalking power (5 moves for each black piece), which allow you to move a row or column without having to make a match.
And there are also the rainbow trisms in normal infinism that are just regular rainbows that match with any 2 or more colors of trisms (except black trisms)

Now starshine mode is based off strategy and matching rainbow trisms. In starshine mode, the rainbows are different though, they are a combination of black star trisms and rainbow trisms. It is a rainbow piece with unlimited star powers. Now the object is to match as many rainbows pieces together as possible. In infinism long chains and high combos from multiplying the chain gives you lots of points, although in starshine mode there are little points for making a match. The point scoring in starshine mode is determined by the rainbow trisms, which are multipliers. So the more rainbows the more points. This is not easy to pull off though. Since matching three or more results in activation. You must strategically place trisms on the board so when you make a final move they all line up into place. Take this picture for example in which I have set up some starshien mode trisms:
From this:

To this:

Notice the looks of a starshine mode rainbow with unlimited starwalking power looks different than a normal rainbow.
Now see how this is advanced stuff? lol This is not that easy. A lot of people struggle trying to get these rainbows/ actually keep them on the board. If you try it for yourself, you will see why. Which makes this game as great as it is. Not until you play it will you see why this is actually a fun but challenging puzzle game.

And I haven't even gone through any of the achievements which are all hard to get within themselves. Each one provides a different look/strategy needed in order to complete these.

Last edited by Zincous; 01-13-2009 at 04:39 PM.
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
It's a pretty cool game, but it desperately needs an info screen explaining all the funky trism types. Rainbow trisms, supertrisms, rainbow supertrisms, black trisms. What EXACTLY do they all do?

How about a clue on the scoring model? I've gotten big multiway combos that scored huge points, and gotten equally big multiway combos that scored virtually nothing. I haven't got any idea how the points are calculated and there's nothing in the game that tells you.

And finally, the game seems too random. I'm not saying there isn't strategy, but for the most part you're tilting this way and that and hoping for a match to extend your combo. There's not enough time to LOOK and see which way to tilt, or am I missing something?