Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 AM

I have to admit I've found most solutions to be a pain in the seated place, I used to go whole hog but business practices seem to have changed these days and I would have trouble recommending anything that isn't an irritant. I do allow MSE to do its thing (but can't help with the XP question sorry) and regularly do scans.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

My real problem with Antivirus is probably based on my past I used to write my own Remote Access Server/Client programs when I was learning to program and tested them against various AntiVirus just to see what would happen.

Basically absolutely nothing they didn't detect it that then led to me playing with available ones that were detected it became apparent it was very easy to turn them undetected using various exe packers like UPX or simply changing a byte or two in a hex editor.

Before that I did use Antivirus a lot like everyone else but found it pretty useless the single time I did get a real nasty virus was way back on Windows 95 and it was a pretty destructive one it basically added itself to every exe file on the whole system which broke most of them including Norton which refused to run. I'll add I did manage to fix this one using a dos virus scanner run from a floppy then re-installing a lot of the broken programs so not even that forced me to reinstall windows.

My honest advice

Use one if it makes you feel better maybe it may even save you one day I personally don't think it's worth it but if you do though make sure to get one with good heuristics as the rest only go by known signatures I think the best is NOD32 but that's personal opinion.

Use chrome or firefox as internet explorers always been a weak link

If you really want be extra safe run a scriptblocker like noscript

Don't ever install Java if you can help it if you do update it a lot.

Don't ever install Adobe PDF Reader use an alternative like Foxit.

Use common sense when installing things and be very wary of anything bundled in the installs basically be ready to untick toolbars etc oh and avoid all installs from cnet I've heard a lot of bad things about those lately if you can always get the installer from the programs actual site.

Try to learn what should actually be running on your system and what starts with it maybe take a few screenshots of the start up in msconfig to refer back to them if you need to.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Banned

I still prefer to have one installed on my PC. I just based which on the reviews I read online, mostly tech sites. Currently using Avira.