What is it with all the "OLD" games??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by defred34, Dec 7, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Recently, I've realized there are just too many old games being rebooted on iOS, and I think that this is unhealthy for the growth of the platform. Seriously, if you played a game 10, 20 or 30 years ago, what purpose is there to play it again? Why not try playing new games set and made for the modern world?

There's been Jet Set Radio/Crazy Taxi by Sega, whole list of Final Fantasy by Square Enix, GTA games by Rockstar, Raiden Legacy, Carmageddon....and really so many more that I don't bother to care about.

When will this madness end?

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    When you decide to stop worrying and play minigore

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Minigore is not that good I like what they are doing so stop bitching. I hope max Payne 2 is next

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You just lost all credibility when you complained about rockstar porting the GTA games.

5. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Disagree gta vice city rubbish port that does not work on the devices it should according to description

6. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    +100000

7. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    ...no iPod 4 support ... Says in description that it does ??
    In what world is that acceptable im so happy I bought minigore 2 which works even though it says it won't

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #8 JBRUU, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    I haven't heard of that problem. But the game itself is excellent. Don't complain if you have an outdated device; it works and looks beautifully on current ones.

9. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Well big point is rockstar states on the app page works for iPod 4 and it doesn't so people are gonna hurry and get it then see that it doesn't.

On minigore 2 it works for now but after updates it will keep crashing and play crappy like dead trigger

10. Is complaining about true "console-quality" games in the App Store a thing now?

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    10 year old "console quality" games...? Yeah!

12. Sorry, I just don't understand your argument. How exactly are the releases of 10-year-old games unhealthy for the growth of the platform? It's not like the influx of older games is crippling sales of new titles. If anything, it shows that there is a market for console games among the iOS owners who are usually seen as casual gamers by mainstream media.

13. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Really why complain about old games being ported? It's not like there has been a sever shortage of original titles. I would personally love to see a ton of my old games ported over as I would love to play them again but have grown up and no longer have the time to sit in front of the TV so playing them on the go is awesome.

I'm hoping more developers like Capcom and Konami decide to port over a ton of their titles. I would love to play old school MegaMan, Castlevania and many others with added GameCenter achievements whenever I want.

I believe there is a serious market for this especially when you add little achievements and general ITunes pricing structure.

If nintendo did this on their 3DS with their backlog they would make a killing. It's time for them to open their eyes.

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Those old games are better than a lot(most?) of the newer games out for the iOS platform.

15. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Not true, at all. Just look at the graphics...makes me wanna ****

16. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Oh wait. You're one of those people. Nevermind then.

17. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Yea its pointless to argue. Hell I don't see ps3/360!people argue about playing old school games

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What a ridiculous thing to say. Graphics may age but gameplay doesn't. There's 10000s of games out there. There's games I don't like, I don't buy them. I don't get annoyed by them on the App Store

Do you not watch any old films then as they look dated? No films from your youth? I bet you'll be happy in 10 years time when you can play an Xbox favourite on your new 'iPhone 12'. Imagine some kid laughing at you for playing that old game, be annoying wouldn't it

Graphics don't make a game. It's all about gameplay and its a shame you have such a narrow minded approach as you're missing out on some great games

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    ^^I was going to say something but he stole my thunder.

20. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Nostalgia sells. Period. End of story.