Universal Warhammer Quest 2 (By Perchang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    An official answer regarding my 56 damage dealing archer would be appreciated.
    After several weeks of abstinence I was finally happy to start playing this game but here we go again, I stopped within 2 hours after the latest update if I can‘t be sure if the damage calculation is still bugged.

In addition to that I searched for old posts:

I never played more than some missions so please I am not looking for spoilers because I still have faith that I will have the motivation to finish this game some day... I have a question regarding Nullzones post and there are also some hardcore players out there like Pitta which can help easily.

Could you tell me what‘s the highest health value of enemies which you encountered? (I don‘t want to have spoilers, please don‘t tell me what kind of enemy it is and so on). I hope they have at least 300 - 500 health if damage like that isn‘t unusual.

What is the highest damage of weapons you found? I am asking for the weapon description and not ingame damage.

Regarding Nullzones post if 270 damage is possible all the time later on and if I assume critical hits do tripple damage...
    If I follow the official formula and there is no damage resistance... I need to reach somehow 90 damage... If my warrior has a strength of 20 (which is incredibly good) and a weapon which maximum damage is 70 in one single hit it would be possible...
    Did any of you fulfill the requirements?

Well could some of you do a plausibility check and browse their warriors for the highest single hit stat and post it? What additional modifiers has your weapon, what‘s the strength value of your warrior and what is the maximum damage of the weapon description?

Best regards,

a confused Roger

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Roger: Let's see...
    1) Highest health enemies I saw so far were around 100-125 HP as far as I remember.
    2) I don't know how crit damage is calculated, only that it can't be a simple double damage. Otherwise the Knuckleduster (1-1 base damage) wouldn't do 10+ on a crit even for a hero with low Strength (say, below 5).
    3) Highest base damage I see on my current play is 12-19 on a Greatsword, 14-18 on the Loren Bow. And I saw a Ring for the Mage that does 1-20.
    4) When you check max damage dealt on your heroes, keep in mind that AoE attacks count as single hit. My Sorceress lists 255, from a multi-enemy hit of Chillwind. My single-target attackers Captain and Bloodknight have much lower values, 32 and 27. Note that they all are level 2 only, with corresponding low Str of 3 or so. I'll check on my other two saves (where my folks are much higher level) later.

3. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Thank you for answering my questions, I am sure Perchang will enlighten us next week.
    My Greatsword dealt 88 damage in his first dungeon: https://imgur.com/a/KxuCc
    That would be 19 max. weapon damage plus 3 strength = 22 damage.
    If he started the turn with his base weapon without changing it the damage gets doubled which would be 44 damage and if crits would double the damage again we would have the 88 damage which is shown.
    Well, 88 damage for a base character with his base weapon, so he could almost kill high end enemies without any resistance.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #644 Nullzone, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Heh, at least before the last round of updates you could - and did - easily oneshot even highend enemies. I wrote somewhere upthread that my Bloodknight routinely oneshotted Minotaurs, sometimes more than one per round. But I *think* Perchang adjusted the damage downward a bit with the last update. Hhmm... with those numbers, quad damage for crits sounds about right.
    Also oops, I think I overwrote my highlevel save when I started my current play. Highest singlehit I found is 268, but that's for a Captain with the AoE Pistol.
    Sidenote: Not that it matters much, my current lvl2 party curbstombs everything in Middenland so far. Already at Storyquest 7, fairly certain I can win without leveling them up further.

@Ben @Pete: Could you clarify both the general damage formula, and the one for crits?
    Oh, and more saveslots please. 3 isn't enough. I'd say at least 5, unlimited would be even better.
    Last, see above comment: higher difficulty level(s) would be very much appreciated - by me at least :p

UPDATE: Hah, lucky shot. Just saw weapons with even higher base damage in a shop: Greatsword of Carroburg 20-40 Slashing, Axe of Dargo 15-35 Slashing, Staff of Avelorn 1-40 Crushing.

5. BobP

BobP Active Member

Aug 3, 2015
    #645 BobP, Dec 10, 2017
    Hi, really enjoying the game, though finding it hard to work out the rules sometimes.

Please could someone let me know the maximum number of action points? I assume this is 8 as I can't seem to get a character to a score above this.

I think a way to heal injuries beyond levelling should be introduced. Training being the only easily arranged way to heal makes no sense and is restrictive at high levels.

Whilst I like playing the goodies I also think there should be more evil party members, if the point is to create the idea of good and evil having to work together. At least one DLC character should have been evil and I can take or leave the dark elf or the blood knight.

Finally there have been weird difficulty spikes. My first random encounter pitted my captain against four ogres. Since then most random encounters have been very easy. I think this should be addressed as it may send a bad message to people that have just downloaded.

6. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    #646 Roger the Alien, Dec 10, 2017
    I also asked the devs why there is no other way to heal injuries and here is the official answer I received:

EDIT: I would like to add that my first random encounter versus enemies were 4 stone trolls vs. 2 of my heroes. One of them had only weapons which were almost useless due to resistance and I couldn‘t select them for the encounter. There was no possible way to win.

7. jhericurled

jhericurled New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Criticals are 4x bonus damage multiplier.

In your instance:

2 [strength] + randomly selected number in your weapon's damage range, long bow is between 10 through 13 (your attack randomly selected 12) = 14

14 x 4 [critical bonus multiplier] = 56

possible critical damage values with your bow and character with 2 strength against an enemy with 0% resistance will be either 48, 52, 56, or 60

8. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    That would be crazy if it‘s true.

Could you do the calculation for my Greatsword: https://m.imgur.com/a/KxuCc

I am talking about the base character with his starting equipment which dealt 88 damage after his first mission.
    This wouldn‘t be possible without a critical hit.
    Strength: 3
    Weapon damage: 12-19 but if the weapon wasn‘t changed during the turn the damage is doubled. I had no other weapon this means we are talking about 24-38 damage.
    Worst case for a critical hit: (3 + 24) * 4 = 108 damage or am i missing something... But he dealt 88 damage
    Best case for a critical hit with your math for a critical hit: (3 + 38) * 4 = 164 that would be a total overkill for each enemy, why bothering and buying new equipment at all...

9. BobP

BobP Active Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Aha yes it was trolls for me too - far too hard and left me feeling pressured to spend money to progress

Can anyone let me know if 8 action points is the maximum?

10. jhericurled

jhericurled New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    #650 jhericurled, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    EDIT Forgot if critical bonus is triggered on the action or against each individual attack, so formula is listed is a rough estimate. Also uncertain how they determine the exact value for each individual attack for a multi attack weapon.

My interpretation of the damage formula per attack action if successful triggered critical bonus applies to the entire sequence:
    (Strength + random number in the weapon's damage range * (1.0 - enemy's resistance to weapon's damage type) * any bonus damage multiplier(s) [e.g. critical hits and/or double damage bonuses from items]) / weapon's number of attacks

MAX DAMAGE WITHOUT DOUBLE DAMAGE BONUS:
    (3 [strength] + 19 [weapon's maximum damage in the range between 12 through 19] * (1.0 - 0.0 [no weapon type resistance])) / 2 [weapon's number of attacks]
    e.g.
    (3 + 19 * 1.0) / 2 = 22 / 2
    Thus you'll see a total of 22 damage across two attacks, e.g. 10 + 12, barring any misses or deflections.

MAX DAMAGE WITH DOUBLE DAMAGE BONUS:
    (3 [strength] + 9 [weapon's maximum damage in the range between 12 through 19] * (1.0 - 0.0 [no weapon type resistance]) * 2 [double damage bonus multiplier]) / 2 [weapon's number of attacks]
    e.g.
    (3 + 19 * 1.0 * 2) / 2 = 44 / 2
    Thus you'll see a total of 44 damage across two attacks, e.g. 20 + 24, barring any misses or deflections.

MAX DAMAGE WITH DOUBLE DAMAGE & CRITICAL BONUS:
    (3 [strength] + 9 [weapon's maximum damage in the range between 12 through 19] * (1.0 - 0.0 [no weapon type resistance]) * 2 [double damage bonus multiplier] * 4 [critical bonus multiplier]) / 2 [weapon's number of attacks]
    e.g.
    (3 + 19 * 1.0 * 2 * 4) / 2 = 176 / 2
    Thus you'll see a total of 176 damage across two attacks, e.g. 80 + 96 (or 88 + 88), barring any misses or deflections.

EDIT forgot if the 4x critical multiplier is a chance on the single action or against each individual attack, so formula is not exact

The character's statistics page records your highest attack damage. Note, if you are welding a weapon that has multiple attacks, then the statistic tracks your highest damage from one of those multiple attacks and not the aggregate of all the attacks in that single action.

------

8 Action Points and 8 inventory slots are maximum.
    Excluding Hit Points, 10 is the hard maximum for each attribute category (no, you're unable to go beyond 10 points with items/bonuses).

11. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    #651 Roger the Alien, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    That makes sense.
    I didn‘t notice that the Greatsword may attack 2 times with his base weapon...^^

Edit:

Four times the damage for criticals seems high.

Bye the way... Are you one of the developers?^^

12. jhericurled

jhericurled New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    No, have an excessive amount of gameplay.
    Also four times the damage isn't high, especially since the experience points required for higher character levels scales quickly, e.g. at lvl 27 you need an additional 100,000 XP to reach 28

13. vladswe

vladswe Active Member

Jun 13, 2010
    I think I understand the calculations for Strength. How about Dexterity, Intelligence and Speed? I assume Dexterity increases your hit probability. Is it something like a base of 50% and modified by the difference between your Dexterity and the target's Dexterity?

Intelligence is also a big question mark for me. I haven't really seen any damage increase in spells - I have, however, seen damage increases for spells when adding more Strength.

Speed supposedly gives more chances for Death Blows. Does it do anything else? What are the base odds for a Death Blow, and how does it add up with Speed?

14. jhericurled

jhericurled New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    #654 jhericurled, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Either Ben or Pete explained in earlier post the purpose of each attribute category for offensive purposes, no official word if the stats are leveraged for defense.

So for offensive purposes:
    • Strength - default attribute used for calculating attacks unless an equipped item(s) explicitly overrides this default
    • Dexterity - used for calculating chance to hit, formula undisclosed
    • Speed - used for calculating chance to trigger death blows, formula undisclosed
    • Intelligence - used in place of strength for calculating attack damage when an item explicitly indicates such, otherwise currently an unused attribute for majority of the characters, particularly non mages.

Note that there may be other items that use other attributes in place of strength for attack damage calculations, e.g. there is an elf ranger specific armor that enables speed to be used in place of strength for all attacks.

Excluding movement, player phase actions including death blows have a chance to trigger a death blow. I have used a potion and it triggers a death blow, lol. Or as others have mentioned before, have numerous death blows occur in succession right after another.

15. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    @jhericurled

It seems a multiplier of 4 makes gameplay wise sense regarding the exp. but what do you think regarding the difficulty?

You seem to be a very experienced Warhammer Quest 2 player.
    Did you play Warhammer Quest 1?
    I am very interested in your ideas to improve the game.
    Do you have any suggestions?

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    First of all, welcome to TA! ;)

Level 27? Talk about overkill... How long did you play to get there? And if you don't mind satisfying my curiosity: do you have only one hero that high, or several?

On another but related note, I almost completed Middenland campaign with a level 2/3 party, only a few more rooms in the last dungeon to go.
    And since I didn't get anything substantial for the levelups (Captain got +1 Int...) , i.e. no additional slots and only my Sorceress and Mage got one additional AP each, I think I can safely conclude that at least Middenland can be won with a level 1 party as well.

That is my answer to @Roger's question about difficulty: way too easy ;)

17. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    #657 Roger the Alien, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    After having the feeling that the worst bugs are fixed I am going to finish the game.
    I started a new save file and finished 8/10 missions of the first campaign without any problem, once a warrior died that‘s all.
    I never leveled up any hero and just bought once an item (the acorn for the gladeguard).
    I never lost any battle so far and there was only one random enemy encounter without completing any side quest at the moment.
    Random enemy encounters and enemy spellcasters (I didn’t encounter anyone after almost finishing the first campaign) within dungeons would make this game much more interesting.

PS. If you sell equipment and you have duplicates compare their prices.
    https://imgur.com/a/HaF6C
    https://imgur.com/a/1cZ7P

18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I feel that is kinda sad.
    It's little things like that, that reinforce my belief that this game was simply rushed out way, way too soon.
    I know it's not a big thing and there are obvious bigger issues with the game.....but still. #

19. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    I have the same impression.
    There is still a lot to be done.

Little things like that make me wonder what else could be wrong.

Here is another oversight (enemy equipment): https://imgur.com/a/OtkLf

Here is a positive note:
    After a couple of hours I almost finished the main campaign and I didn‘t have a single crash after all the updates, yay. Thumbs up

20. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    9/10 main quests done
    2 random enemy encounters
    2 side quests

One warrior died once.

Maybe I was just pretty lucky.

After the acorn I bought the Chillwind spell everybody was talking about, no other money was spent.

One side quest was done to get the explosive pistol and another one for a heal spell.

I did 1 main quest with this new equipment and the enemies had no chance.

Most of the time it is a good strategy to keep the enemies at distance as long as possible and attack from afar especially if there are no ranged enemies and due to the fact that there are no ambushes in the game. After a battle you can camp as long as you wish and heal (which isn‘t necessary in my opinion).
    Still no enemy spells seen by me and all warriors are still level 1.
    Half of my vacation day is over and the main storyline is almost done.
    Well I also bought the skaven expansion right after release.

Do you level up your heroes often?
    I think it‘s kind of wasted money because 1 stat increase doesn‘t make a difference and I am only interested in slots and especially AP but leveling up is such a gamble. I rather invest my money into equipment right now.
    My party consists of 1 warrior of each class.

PS. Here is another glitch: https://imgur.com/a/EJAAd (which one should I buy?)^^

I want to finish with a positive comment again: The graphics are amazing^^