Bloodris: is it a good name for my game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by sigLuca, Oct 6, 2011.

1. sigLuca

sigLuca Well-Known Member

Hi all,

i'm just near a beta version of my last iPhone/iPod game. Basically it's a mix of a match-block game with a tower defense and a shoot'em up. A chain spawns a lot of blocks you can match or use as a weapon against hordes of hideous creatures struggling to reach you.

Battles splits in four different goals:

a) Collect blocks battles: match an exact amount of blocks while defending from monsters.

b) Build the wall battles: use blocks to build a structure, killing the annoying creature that will do their best to waste all your efforts

c) Survive time battles: withstand hordes of monster for a short (but hard) time.

d) Kill the boss battles: Destroy huge bosses, each with peculiar attacks and strategies.

Here are three gameplay videos and some sshots from the alpha version (menu graphics are temporary)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The original idea was naming this game BLOODRIS. I chosed this name because it is a matching-block game (remembering TetRIS), where you have also to kill monsters, gathering BLOOD to activate various powers. The name is also unique, short and easy to remember.

Recently, some friends of mine told me that the name Bloodris could not be the right choice. They said that a name like this could be a 'backfire', because recall a splatter clone of Tetris, pushing away (in theory) both casual gamers and 'gore' lovers.

I'm really confused, so i'd be very grateful to anyone will say his personal opinion. I specify that all friends of mine are italian speaking, i'm wondering what could think an international audience...

Thanks in advance,

sigLuca - Game Artesan

2. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

I agree with what you've heard from friends, it's not a good name. It sound terribly juvenile for some reason. I would pass it up in a list just because of the name.
    I don't have an alternative though.

3. Parogames

Parogames Active Member

Aug 24, 2011
    What i saw the post title I was thinking it is some kind of action game that has blood or something, I didn't expect the "ris" behind is a reference to Tetris, I think you can use something like "box" or "block" to tell people directly what your game use and what does it do.

4. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    I knew that it's related to tetris even before i opened the thread... But i have to agree, this "Bloodris" is not a so good name /:

5. sigLuca

sigLuca Well-Known Member

#5 sigLuca, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
    Other options for the name of my game

Hi all,

i agree that Bloodris could not be the best name ever choosed, but i thought that it was unique and easy to remember, recognize and search on the web.

However, i've tried to find other names. It's quite difficult because there are many games in the store with 'Block' in their name... in addiction many combinations with 'block' seems 'flavourless', sad and lack of originality...

Here are some other options:

Monsters ate (My) Blocks
    Blocks and Goblins
    Blockill
    Dr.Blockill
    Chains & blocks
    Chain Defense
    Shackled Blocks
    Blocklust
    Warblocks
    Thousands Blocks
    Blockfalls
    Sblocks
    Blockus Pocus
    Blockalypse

Do you find some of this names worth being choosed!?

Many thanks in advance, very kind for your feedbacks.

sigluca - Game Artisan