iPod/iPhone gaining over PSP and DS Revenue

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sambo110, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    http://gizmodo.com/5499467/proof-that-apple-is-invading-the-game-market?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29

Great news for iDevice gamers, hopefully more and more high quality games come out.

2. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    No surprises here. Apple made it really fast and easy to purchase apps on the iphone and the fact that the apps are cheaper only makes the decision easier to make. I personally don't think we will more high quality apps though. Sure there will be more along the road but right now I'm seeing a big trend where developers are trying to make these all in one apps and topping the charts. Some developers are even milking their own franchises too. Digital Chocolate used to make and port their really cool cell phone games for the app store but now it seems that they ran of of ideas and are happy milking their 3D Rollercoaster games. It's actually getting worse because just saw a new theme based on the Tower Bloxx game today.

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    This is old news. Everyone knows that the iDevice is way better than DS and PSP.

4. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

The thread title is misleading. Can a mod change it?

The iPhone hasn't overtaken DS sales volumes or revenue. The iPhone now has a 19% share of portable game sales and 5% of the entire games industry. The DS commands 70% of the portable market. Clearly the iPhone has some way to go before it overtakes that.

What this does show though is that the iPhone shows massive growth and is stealing market share from the others, particularly the PSP. That is the worrying sign for Sony and Nintendo. And at the same time, news like this has got to wet the appetite of even more game developers looking at making DS/PSP games.

5. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Infiltrating and claiming 19% of the overall market is hardly "overtaking PSP and DS revenue".

That's a really misleading title :\

6. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    sure, it just need some real games

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008

8. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    How you dare to troll the iDevices. We have Doodle Jump, Pocket God and physics games. What do the DS/PSP owners have? Metal Gear, The Legend of Zelda, Scribblenauts? Those are garbage!!!!! :mad:

iDevices are full of AAA titles like NOVA, Gangstar, etc. Cry moar!

9. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Now explain why Metal Gear, Legend of Zelda and ScribbleNauts are garbage? You obviously have not played Phoenix Wright, The World Ends With You, And Disgaea.

10. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    [​IMG]

11. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    but srsly, all these marketshare e-penis pushing is just fanboy feel good pointless bragging

what i have is an iDevice, and what i would like to see is more real games

lets just hope this marketshare translates to more big name devs into the store, about time we get psp level stuff

12. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Seeing how the number of DS games sold in 2010 was higher than 2009, I don't think Nintendo has anything to worry about. I think that iPhone games are sold to a different market than DS games, rather than iPhone games taking sales directly from DS games, which this topic is trying to get you to belive.