Arcana: Spell Duel Dev Update

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by daveyoung, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveyoung

daveyoung Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Just a quick head's up on development progress for Arcana: Spell Duel.

Previous Thread Here

I have completed prototyping the gesture-based casting mode. It's extremely powerful because it allows you to potentially cast a much more powerful spell combination, but also requires more skill: if you try to use too much energy while casting a spell, it will damage you significantly.

It also allows me to add in so many more spells that a menu system would have trouble handling. A neat side-effect might be that you can reverse an opponent's spell simply by doing the gesture in reverse.

I've gotten a lot of great feedback from the online prototype, and will be updating it soon with my latest enhancements.

Another awesome piece of progress is that I finally got a network framework working for online games. As this is a turn-based game, there are still several little nuances left to work out, but today player 1 was able to enter a lobby, talk some smack, see player 2, challenge player 2, and begin a match. They blasted each other until player 1 was dead and crispy.

I'm excited to finish up the logic and get to work on the User Interface.

If you want to try out the current prototype (it doesn't have online mode or gesture mode yet), check it out here: http://www.daveyounggames.com/arcana.html

I am still taking on all feedback, from all corners.

It feels like I have 2 weeks or so left before I am ready to submit.

2. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    oh man, i missed this when you posted it! Cant wait to try the latest prototype! Any word on the art?

3. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Yes, the art is going to be the majority of the time left in development.
    I'm looking at a replacement model for the orc, one who is customizable which will allow for more user customization later on. I still need to go through each spell effect and craft it appropriately and finalize it. The GUI is the biggest part of the art swap.

I'm not *quite* done adding features it turns out. I've decided to add in some level of online persistence now to facilitate match making.

4. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Added early this morning: dynamic spell casting lights for some additional spell blasting ambience, and player customization.

Also added a consolidated 'chargeup' effect for all spells, so you can get an idea of the power and magnitude of a spell as it is being cast. Gives you that immersive feeling of impending doom :)

Also, ran an iPod to iPod multiplayer test. Really great experience!

5. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Downloading that add on and gonna give that prototype a try :)

6. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok,

Heres my feedback on the current prototype.

Lighting. The new lighting effect is cool, but seems to stop before the spell is finished casting. I think the lighting should be made even brighter and over the top. the fireballs should aslo have their own lighting. I basically think the lighting should be big and beautiful. Right now its kind of subdued, and with the current arena, it leads to a kind of dull feeling.

Sound FX. They dont seem to blend well, they kind of stop and start instead of fading into each other. Some kind of ambience is needed, i guess it depends on the arena.

UI and character. I know you're working on these as we speak so i'll leave this alone!

Arena. Hopefully you're adding in some cool 'arenas'. I had some ideas for these arenas. A forest clearing. Top of a wizards tower (think flashing lightning and rain). Alchemists workshop. Tavern. Town Square. Castle battlements.

Animations. These still feel rather rigid.

Thats all I got for right now. if you want some more specific feedback just let me know. You can hit me up on AIM if you want : Jamiefluk

7. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Haven't gotten to the artwork at all yet, or the sounds :)

As for lighting, the iPhone only supports a small degree of dynamic lighting in a scene, I'm trying to push it further though.

Thanks very much for the feedback so far :) The online mode does work now in the prototype BTW, with a few glitches. I can even play on my iPhone against someone on the web version :)

8. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Hah yeah, well like I said, any help you need let me know. Non-technical of course lol, feel free to hit me up

9. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Here are some notes on the gesture-based gameplay, according to a design session this week:

The duelists will be using a small hand-held artifact called an Arcanix (plural Arcanii) to cast spells. An Arcanix is meticulously constructed out of a resonant material. It's square or rectangular in shape, and relatively flat. It must be carefully maintained. There is a matrix of depressions or holes along the surface. Each one is imbued with a type of crystal. The duelists wear special gloves or caps on their fingers which are designed to interact with Arcanii. As the duelist moves their fingers across the surface of the Arcanix, the artifact responds with a resonating tone and an energy node is activated on the artifact.

Energy is gathered from the surrounding area and focused and shaped to respond to the resonating frequencies of the Arcanix.

Certain patterns of nodes are what gather the energy and shape it and twist it to perform specific tasks.

Arcanii also closely bond with their bearers. A duelist must learn to work in symphony with the artifact and learn to guide the gathering and shaping of arcane forces. If the energy mustered by the Arcanix is too much for the duelist to master, there is a nasty backlash and the duelist's own life force is spent in an effort to achieve arcanic harmony.

There are whispered tales of over-ambitious duelists consuming their very lives in an effort to destroy their opponent.

This is the ever-present danger of using an Arcanix. Be warned.

10. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok that was coool. :)

11. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    So will the spell casting animation reflect the use of the Arcanix? Rather than the more traditional flailing/waving arms style lol? Because that'd be rather important I feel.

I can't wait to see the next prototype with the casting the animations and arenas hopefully!!

12. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    #12 daveyoung, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    The spell casting animations are going to change dramatically because the character is being changed, and has entirely different animations. I'd like to have animations incorporating the Arcanix, but I'm not an artist, so I purchase all my models.

The online web prototype now has the Arcanix included, to try out the gesture based casting. To toggle it on/off, hit the 'a' button when it is your turn. There is also a ? button to show the existing library of spells.

Also included is an AWESOME new background/logo (Thanks Tavoss!)

http://www.daveyounggames.com/arcana.html

13. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    For those who haven't seen the web prototype yet, here are a couple gameplay vids. One showing pvp head-to-head (same device) mode, and one showing play in gesture mode using the Arcanix.

14. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    looks interesting, not understanding the concept on some of the spells being cast, why would you want to bleed or suffer?? hope theres going to be more to the backgrounds.

I'll be putting this on my to watch list :D

15. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    You would bleed someone else: is an unstoppable direct damage.
    Suffer is sacrificing some of your own health in exchange for spell energy.. just the sort of extra boost you might need against a nagging opponent.

16. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Here is a pic of the Arcanix: I'm almost done modelling it. There will be different varieties made of different materials which have unique properties and bonuses to the duelists.

http://screencast.com/t/YFXjq0rj0lp

This model will be used to replace the existing Gesture casting view.

17. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Magic forces coming to life!

OK, the Arcanix is still in progress, but I've replaced that rusty old gesture-interface with an actual 3d object now. When you move your finger over the hole, an effect bursts into life. Video to come soon when I'm further along.

I still need to make sure the pattern matching is functional!

Pre-Swipe
    http://screencast.com/t/ce1VHieuE

Post-Swipe
    http://screencast.com/t/4Gbb9SofWh

18. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    ohhh, I like! much better and more fitting with the game I think. I'd have to see the new casting view working in order to give an opinion on that. I don't know diddly about making a game, but I sure know how to play! lol

19. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    #19 daveyoung, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    New version is up with the 3D Arcanix. Still need to rethink the design of the interface here to make sure it is helpful enough to those who need it.

Launch the Arcanix by hitting the ~ in the lower right corner. Otherwise, use the menus for casting!

http://www.daveyounggames.com/arcana.html

Edit: I'm also toying with the idea of making the game in the portrait mode as opposed to landscape. This will make it easier to hold and use the Arcanix. Thoughts?

20. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Adding in a new iPhone-only feature: Nexus. It's an iPhone/iPod only option which uses your current location to determine your proximity to a power Nexus. The world is criss-crossed with ancient lines of power. Where these lines cross is a power Nexus. A duellist who is near a Nexus will gain an additional amount of energy per turn.

In addition, a duellist can try to plant a Nexus at a location using an Arcanix and a special ability. If there are several duellists gathered there, or in a place over time, a Nexus will spring up at that location.

Also, I've thought of two class names for the two types of gameplay:
    Naturalist: Uses the menus to cast. Less dangerous, less powerful
    Arcanist: Uses the Arcanix to cast. More dangerous, much more powerful, requires the ability to remember the correct node patterns to use.