X-Men: Days of Future Past Chat [with spoilers]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by CygnetSeven, May 24, 2014.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    #1 CygnetSeven, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
    Spoiler Alert!!!

Read no further if you have not seen the movie yet, you've been warned!
    Discussions include the movie or the original comic.
    Have at it!

[​IMG]

2. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    What did you guys think? Was not understanding Kitty Pryde's newfound abilities. But what about the red dress at the end of the movie???

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Well she could already phase through space. I guess mastering her powers let her phase through time as well

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #4 undeadcow, May 24, 2014
    MOVIE SPOILERS!!!!

Yeah... they totally retconed The Last Stand. Probably for the better, but I was hoping they'd do more with Dark Phoenix. I was excited to see people return. Apparently the Apocalypse movie will feature the First Class crew in the 1980s so this seemed like a reasonable send off for the original trilogy class if that must be the case. It was great to see the focus on the original film cast, but at the same time disappointing how casually they disposed of previous material (calling First Class rooster).

I really enjoyed Days of Future Past, but wish it would have had more team action. The sequences with Blink were unbelievable and especially the hopeless end segment so wish there were more Sentinel on mutant action. Being a big fan of X-force (and The Exiles), I also geeked out seeing Warpath and Sunspot in such prominent roles. The ideology clash between Professor X and Magento is epic, but it's been done and starts to feel stale. Give me X-men team action! What are the chances of Blink getting her own movie spin-off?

They pulled off Quicksilver well.

Mystique impersonating Styker at end was a cool twist, but I couldn't figure out how it followed. Were they implying it was Mystique manipulating Weapon X rather than Stryker... or just a fun but insignificant twist? Mystique is my least preferred X-character and super overemphasized in the movies relative to her role in the comics.

Hypothetical multiverses are fun but it's annoying how common they show up coexisting with canon - it feels like all DC Universe if just one big rotating multiverse, the new Star Trek movies, and now the X-men film universe. I can't decide if that's an smart way of blending the original X-men film cast with First Class actors or if it just ends up wiping out the plot from the first films (which seems to be the case, they're still fun... just irrelevant now). I hope the X-films don't turn into "re-telling stories in a retcon universe."

I think the only thing cooler than a Days of Future Past movie would be an Apocalypse movie...

Yeah... but she wasn't phasing through time, she was transporting the consciousness of an individual into their body at an earlier point in the timeline (so nothing physical traveled).
    They could have invoked Gateway. GATEWAY! Oh wait, apparently it's a "secondary mutation" - http://www.mtv.com/news/1725347/x-men-days-of-future-past-set-videos/

5. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010

I think the presence of Warpath, Blink and Sunspot in the future is setting up a New Mutants film, and hopefully they get a better title. X-Babies? Oh wait, that's been done.

The Mystique card has been a bit overplayed. My only gripe with the film was that they tried to do wayyyy too much to the point that no one got any lines because there were way too many members. Even Blink, who had a larger role never spoke, don't remember Bishop speaking. Rogue was reduced to a walk by and yet in the credits Anna's name was one of the first shown. Still not convinced that this is the last we will see of the original cast.

6. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    And Quicksilver stole the show, no way Avengers can top that!

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #7 undeadcow, May 24, 2014
    A New Mutants film would be great news. I hope you're right, it'd be a good way to fold in Cable with the Apocalypse set. With Blink being so closely tied to the Age of Apocalypse storyline I'm sure we'll see more of her. Hopefully Guardians of the Galaxy does well and opens the flood gates for more films about marginalized Marvel teams.

I agree they could have scripted the new mutants better, a bit more of them definitely would have spurred along the middle segment. I wonder if Toad, Ink, etc will show up again too.

I noticed the original cast actors got top billing even if they just had cameos. Hopefully we will see more of them without each movie featuring time travel. Now that Kelsey Grammar is 60, I'm sure he'd make a spry Beast.

8. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    That was a bizarre casting. I didn't get it then and I still don't get it. He looked outright stupid walking by in the suit.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Haha his scene was definitely a highlight. Had me chuckling aloud in the theater along with most of the audience.

10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    He totally did, I was really hoping to see more of him towards then end of the movie but oh well.

Despite the plot inconsistencies I really enjoyed it. Makes me want to rewatch the older movies and the cartoon.

11. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    They needed to bring quicksilver along for the ride! I hope the writers of The Flash get inspired after watching those scenes, especially the slo-mo one. It could make for some really awesome episodes this fall. I want to pace myself, but I really want to go see it again...I might have to before it bounces off the giant screen, which means maybe TOMORROW!!

12. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    We saw it tonight..... I like Magneto more than any X-Men. I am tired of Mistique. Thought the movie was solid, but not awesome. I didn't stay for trailers, but I heard about them....