RPGs Please!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sharpiemarker, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Sharpiemarker

Sharpiemarker New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Hello people (robots, animals, plants, and single-celled organisms) of toucharcade,

I'm writing to ask for game advice. I've been looking for a decent iOS RPG (for an iPad 2) and so far nothing jumps out at me. My criteria (and RPG history/preferences).

-Loot! - lots of treasure of different kinds.#
    -An inventory system to equip/carry loot
    -A class/leveling (incentive) system.
    -An objective system or story line (immersive but shallow enough for iOS playing ie: 10 minutes here or there.
    -Replay value - I'd love to wander, build stats, collect loot (to a particular end) , and complete objectives.

I really enjoyed Diablo, Diablo 2, and Oblivion (I'm not an RPG enthusiast, just attention deficit and picky.)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Sharpie

2. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    It's not made for the iPad, but inotia 2 is the best rpg ive played on the iOS, and I've played/tested almost all of them.

After that I'd recommend aralon just because it's cool to play a full 3d game, it's not a masterpiece when it comes to content tough.

After that I'd get order and chaos online or actually buddy rush.
    Buddy rush got a lot of diablo 2 elements, believe it or not :)

Exitium plays ok on the iPad, but from what I've heard it's very shallow.

Zenonia 3 is soon to rereleased, and I'm waiting for that one.

But seriously, inotia 2. I got my diablo 2 fix from that one.

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #3 ojtitus, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Aralon: Sword and Shadow
    Dungeon Hunter 1 & 2
    Avadon: The Black Fortress

There are a couple I can think of at the moment.

PS - You should have made this thread in the General Game Discussion thread not the Game Releases thread, I'll mark it for a mod to move it.

4. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    have a look at Companions, just follow my signature links. there's a lite version also, so you can try the game before buying.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Let me agree with this as a non-interested party.

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #6 Dazarath, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    This may not fit all of your criteria, but Battleheart is one of the best RPGs available on the iOS (IMHO) and the control scheme is designed for touch screens unlike some ports of console RPGs. There is loot but not tons of it. And there's no story, unfortunately. But I do think it satisfies everything else you requested.

7. Sucker Punch

Sucker Punch Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Emphasis on Avadon, fantastic indie rpg. Check out http://www.spidweb.com/avadon/index.html and you can download the demo for Mac or PC before buying it.

8. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    I'll let others help you with Diablo-like games. There remains only one game on iOS with anything like Elder Scrolls gameplay: The Quest. It is turn-based rather than real time, but otherwise in line with Bethesda RPGs. It fits all the criteria you mentioned. Look up The Quest Light for a large taste of the game. You can transfer your character to the main app if you want more. The only caveat is that it's not iPad native.

9. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Wild Frontier.

-Loot - pending. Your harvest materials and one-use recipes from slain monster corpses instead of equipment drops, which you use to craft items. In this sense, the looting is almost prolific as you'll receive streams of materials as you harvest corpses. I personally love hording stuff and this game certainly fulfills this desire. It's also good to know that everything you harvest will be of some use to you, other than for resale value.
    -Inventory system - CHECK! Though IAP bags are available increase your inventory slots. There are individual inventories - equipment, runes + special items, potions + dishes (that you cook) and materials + recipes.
    -Class/leveling system - half checked? You get 3 melee classes - warrior (highest dmg low def), thief/assassin (high dex lowest def), and tank (highest def lowest dmg). There are skill trees though they will not substantially change your character's play style. All classes can use ranged attacks and there are a set of skills dedicated to increasing your ranged attack effectiveness.
    -Story line - MONSTER CHECK!!! Hands down one of the most interesting stories in a RPG game ever. Here's the catch - NO ONE NEEDS SAVING! There's no kingdom under attack, no damsel in distress, and your protagonist is not destined to become the savior. I shall now obscure details of the story for your own enjoyment.
    Oh and it's hard to not care about the characters or story line, but the good thing is, text dialogue are short, concise and generally entertaining to read so the info is easy to digest. There's not much lore and the story develops on its own so almost no effort needs to be made to enjoy the story.
    -Replay value - EPIC CHECK! Random daily quests, 3 characters, looting high grade recipes and materials, capturing pets... Yes everything will come to an end but the amount of stuff you can do post game completion should not be underestimated.

10. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Aurum Blade is a pretty good one. It didn't completely suck me in, but mostly because I wasn't looking for a game with such a huge time sink.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It certainly scratched the Diablo itch for me...

12. Caladell

Caladell Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    At least you didn't have a Diablo rash. Those can be quite nasty....or uh...so I've heard...

13. xerxesthegreat

Oct 3, 2011
    Recommendation for RTS / RPG

So getting a bit bored with Civilization 4, and looking for a similar game to interest me. Ideally a bit more strategy oriented (ie, able to play in portrait mode). Very interested in that Star Command game I've seen, but obviously it isn't out yet. Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The worse part about the Diablo rash is that if you get it you have to inform anyone you've ever gamed with...

Alright, that has gone far enough :D.

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The game was slightly compelling, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd compare it to a mobile Diablo, but it was decent. However I couldn't get over the control - it's definitely a port of an old mobile game due to no diagonal movement programmed into the game. Having to move directly vertically or horizontally for an extended period of time pretty much killed it for me.