r/iamverysmart

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by eugenemcardle, Nov 17, 2017.

1. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    This could be a great game if we weren't forced to listen to those awful American accents. A voicepack with local emergency numbers, eg, 000, or 999, or whatever other countries use. The rest of the world is not like America, we don't have multiple mass shootings on a daily basis for example. Yes, we have to watch their TV etc, but that's just to remind us of how stupid they are over there. I would gladly pay to purchase a voicepack and the option to reduce the number of calls to attend shootings. Please consider.

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I wouldn’t say their accent is awful but yes I would love to here something else for sure, why not Indian English or Singaporean English ^^ That would make my day, they are native too and have lovely accent. And I totally agree with the mass shooting, we don’t get that crap else where, it’s very rare.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats pretty stupid and offensive. 'Remind us of how stupid they are'. What a ridiculous generalisation. Sure you're fed up of the australian jokes ?

Have you been to America ? Everytime i've been its been great, friendly people and a great time. The 'awful' american accents are totally fine. I'm sure if this game does well they could provide voice packs but i personally am fine with them. It would be commercial suicide if they released the game with 'indian english' etc.

Devs - please dont consider this guys requests !

4. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Every now and then there's someone even more annoying than an American. Signed, an American.
    PS: My coworker's British accent is p awesome, accents are awesome.

5. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I can’t tell if this is a poor attempt at trolling

6. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    No,it's not. It's a genuine comment about how these games are in English, when really it should say American English.

7. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    I live in Australia. I'm not an Australian. If you can't figure that out from my name......
    Fingers crossed that the devs take more note of my post that of your attempt at sarcasm. And no, I've never been to America, but I've worked with 100's of them. Most would agree with my comments re the accent etc. Perhaps that's why they left the USA.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    How on earth can I figure that out from your name ? I’m not the only one who thought your comments were ridiculous.

It just sounds like an embarrassing attempt at trolling. Anyway I’m not going to argue with someone called ‘Eugene’

9. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I generally agree with the Americans are stupid sentiment and I certainly agree that, just because we tend to purchase the most iPhone/iPad games, all of the games don't have to reflect our values and/or issues, but I have to take offense to your over generalization about Americans being stupid. If only for the sake of reality, facts, and truth, one must always account for the fact that there are almost always exceptions to such seemingly unassailable beliefs. For instance, some of us stupid Americans prefer stabbing sprees or at the very least are only okay with average citizens being capable of killing small groups of people like citizens in all of the other nations that have managed to advance past the Iron Age. Contrary to the impression one can get from who the minority of us who elected as President, there are in fact a few Americans who actually aren't stupid at all. We are, after all, a pluralistic and incredibly diverse society with not just a significant portion of stupid people, we also have a lot of ignorant people, bigots, selfish folks, theocrats, and even a few somewhat reasonable and intelligent people.

10. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    #10 eugenemcardle, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Note that I did put my name to my posts and didn't try to hide behind some half baked pseudonym that only makes sense to the user. I make generalisations, where as you make personel insults. People who are offended by generalisations generally fit the generalisation in question. Generalisations are, by definition, not 100% true, wheras personel insults are generally used by someone who has lost the argument, or the plot, as the case may be. I would suggest that many people could hazard a good guess as to my country of origin, but if you can't then.....what can I say.

11. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    I take your point, and you are obviously one of the many smart Americans. But stabbing sprees? I thought they were confined to the UK and China##

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey pal, i'm not american, but go to spit your venom over them in some "i hate americans" forum somewhere, not here... if you wanna talk about games, this is the right place.

oh, and try to argue the shit in your country, whatever it is, before start to talk about others, ok?

13. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013

I'm not your pal, buster. What does 'try to argue the shit in your country' even mean? I don't hate Americans, I just have a different opinion of them than you do. I'm sure they are big enough to fight their own battles without your support, whoever and wherever you are. The only person to claim to be an American on this chat, agreed with many of my points. And as I said, generalisations are, by definition, not 100% accurate. Anyway, I've had it with you people, don't take things so personal. Bye bye##

14. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    If you were not trolling and neither under 15, please go see a psychiatrist for your insecurity issues.

15. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    ## ##

16. JP Falcon

JP Falcon Active Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Am I reading a South Park script here?

17. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    Oops!

Yes, it's a great game which could be so much better if localised voicepacks etc were available. Many great games have been spoilt, to a greater or lesser degree, by having voice-overs that don't fit. For example, a medieval RPG where characters have an odd accent, when most of the world knows that medieval generally portrays early European history, before the new world had been populated and contaminated by colonists.

18. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    That’s why I love the lord of the rings,
    They used different accent for each race. But not everybody has the budget to do so, even tho it would have been a good idea.

19. JP Falcon

JP Falcon Active Member

Sep 27, 2013
    And just like Australia was contaminated by English convicts and whores right?

20. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #20 badmanj, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    deleted by author