Universal Spellsword -(by Everplay)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 25, 2012.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I really enjoyed playing through all the missions and definitely recommend it, but I don't find it that compelling as an Endless game. Hopefully the new mission are coming soon. :)

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is actually one of the endless non-runner games that I like a lot. SCB and Muffin Knight were ok, but I was done with it after I unlocked and upgraded everything. This, I kept playing.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #323 crunc, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    I feel like SCB makes it clear what your score was and whether you beat your high score, and that keeps you trying. To me this game, in Endless, feels like I play and it ends and I have no idea how well I've done. It's just over. The only place where the game seems compelling is in the progression of the missions - and that is compelling and fun for as long as it lasts, which is a while. IMHO, of course.

4. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Since the dev is reading through the thread, I would like offer these criticisms:

-Collision needs work. I often get hung up on parts of the environment.
    -Controls are unresponsive at times.
    -I get it -- you like challenging games -- so do I. Put in about 300 hours with Demon's Souls; 85 hours with Dark Souls. But some of these missions are annoying. A balance tweak is in order.

Those issues aside, I really love this game a lot. When things get going, the chaos is intoxicating. The technical issues and absurd difficulty, though, make it unnecessarily frustrating. The A.I. so obviously spawns right next to books, and when paired with the control and collision problems, my Tourette's Syndrome acts up uncontrollably.

5. Tg2708

Tg2708 Active Member

Aug 11, 2011
    you basically hit the ballpark with these issues glad to see someone has the same gripes as me but in the end if these are fixed up it is going to be a perfect game.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I feel like the challenge of the missions was just about right, though probably they could be improved in being more consistent in their difficulty progression. The Get X Cards ones aren't quite as difficult as they first seem though - the trick is to use a different approach and kill as little as possible so you don't progress through waves too fast.

I agree that the controls are occasionally problematic and I do get hung up on ledges (and then seem to jump up and off of it in slow motion moon bounce mode).

7. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    The controls are just fine. I don't know why / how someone has any "issues" with it (on the iPad ;))

This is s really great game. I love the art style and also the music. The gameplay is pure fun for me and I am impressed sometimes what's going simultaneously on the screen. The biggest compliment to the dev I am able to give: I am enjoying to grind for all the cool stuff!! Kudos that you don't have any IAPs!

8. Mogry

Mogry Member

Jul 12, 2010
    This!!!
    The fact that you use no kind of IAP makes the grind for new abilities even more enjoyable.Make a free version with just a few stages/missions to get people hooked to buy the full version. 99 cents is an absolute steal. I would´ve paid more for it.
    Please please stay away from IAP which gives you ingame currency.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm surprised if you never run into the getting hung up on a ledge problem. I see that on both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 and it isn't uncommon at all. I get stuck and I tap jump, jump, jump and then finally I float slowly up into the air and then down. It's pretty weird.

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    2nded. Still a very fun game, though.

11. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I track myself in endless regarding the wave I got to. And about the challenge, I don't get it, not to say anything, but I didnt find this game hard. Sure, I had to retry here and there a couple of times, but overall it is v forgiving, specially if you consider the number of places you can fall from, the jumping mechanic, even the slow debuff is v forgiving.

12. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Though I still feel the controls can be unresponsive at times and the collision and A.I. could use some work, I might have been wrong about the difficulty of the game. Once you get your card levels up nice and high and unlock some of the later gear, you definitely have more of a fighting chance.

All I can say is, this game is hella addictive. Definitely one of the best things to come out in a while. Waking Mars will still probably end up my GotY, but this one will be staying on my phone for a good, long while.

13. vanalau

vanalau Member

May 5, 2012
    Still not out für Uns!!!

Half past two tuesday morning. Still not out in our region... Grrrr... what am I supposed to do at work????

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Right, so all the game needs is a high score notice after your game is over. So note the highest wave you achieved, whether you got a new high or what your highest wave is. Something that simple would make Endless mode a lot more fun IMHO.

15. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Fair enough. I'm also not saying the game couldn't use improvements, it really could (like the bug when I dunno how on earth the black hole sword works as I tend to just randomly spawn slimes, sometimes one by one til i get like 4, other times a whole bunch with 1 attack, like 8 or more, and all of this while maintaining the same upgrade level).

Also, is it me or are the eyes invulnerable for a while after you hit them? It is noticeable with the wind blade because 3 hits will kill them if you wait for them to come back down, but if you spam, it take a while.

16. seviu

seviu Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I cannot believe this game is still not available for german speaking countries.

I wanted badly this game, but now I am so disappointed about this that I will not buy it. I do not speak german, my iPhone is always in english. I cannot believe that because of a translation mistake half of Europe has to pay.

17. vanalau

vanalau Member

May 5, 2012
    #337 vanalau, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Well I am mad as well that everybody finished it already but will not go that far... Checking for it faithfully every hour or so and when it's out I will buy it and You will too:) just hope it is out before Diablo 3.

One day there will be one market - moved to Germany recently and still dealing with the mess of switching iTunes stores half year later (iTunes Match, apps not updating...)

18. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
    don't be so dramatic... they explained why this happened and I'm sure they were not happy about it... but after all it's just a game, so it doesn't make much of a difference if you can play it now or in a few days

greetings

MJFox

19. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Updated!

Could you make so when we finish all missions the default starting mode changes to endless?

20. Everplay

Everplay Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Regarding the German Store:

It is NOW Available in all territories with the latest update! :)