★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

To Developers : What do you think about Appstore ios 11?

10-04-2017, 08:52 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,681
To Developers : What do you think about Appstore ios 11?

As a consumer, i see that gone are the days that you could search the appstore for the new games list each day, under paid/free in each category. Those sections are now gone.
Instead, we only have what Apple chooses to feature / favorite and the top games for each category.

Doesn't this mean that unless your work is astonishing or you are already famous/featured, your work is never going to reach the consumer- not even the choice to see it?

This in conjuction with the ban of TA, Appshopper and similar apps that helped navigate the Appstore releases.
On one hand, i am happy i dont have to go through the TON of non-localised / assetstheft / same-app-with-10-different-names- app list every week. On the other hand, i can't help but feel Apple took it to the other edge-putting blinders on us to show us only what they want.

What are your thoughts? I ask as a curious gamer, since the future of gaming depends on game developers.

PS :if there is a way to search for the new releases inside the Appstore(non3rdparty apps), i missed it and will certainly feel foolish-but grateful- if somebody would point me to it.
10-06-2017, 06:03 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 15
Unfortunately now is even harder not to sink immediately for us small indie.
Only a feature or tons of money in ads/influencers can define the success of a game.
The problem is that they always feature the same games over and over again

10-06-2017, 02:12 PM
#3
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,523
It's long since stopped mattering to smaller studios. Unless you're on the landing page you're getting nothing from features etc.
10-06-2017, 02:15 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzarules View Post
Doesn't this mean that unless your work is astonishing or you are already famous/featured, your work is never going to reach the consumer- not even the choice to see it?
It's been that way for several years now. Our last big release - Epic Little War Game - did even did a minor feature and still we've not made 1,000 sales in total for example. Didn't pay one programmer for one month of work, which means we will soon have less programmers.
10-09-2017, 12:50 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,574
It's been years since they removed the list of all new apps (I don't remember if there was any cutoff or if those lists essentially showed every app first, beginning with the latest submission) which was present in every category and sub category. I discovered some real gems scrolling through tat list on my iDevice.
10-09-2017, 11:03 AM
#6
Yup, I miss that list as well. It was a sure way to get an initial burst of visibility for a new app.

It used to include both new apps and updates. Apple removed it in part because developers began taking advantage of the visibility with minor updates and even re-releases of apps.

Same goes for screenshots/descriptions - you used to be able to update them any time, but after developer abuse, Apple decided to allow screenshot updates only upon submitting an app update.

Thank goodness for sites like Touch Arcade, that still provide a comprehensive list of new releases each week, and ability for developers to create their own announcement threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
It's been years since they removed the list of all new apps (I don't remember if there was any cutoff or if those lists essentially showed every app first, beginning with the latest submission) which was present in every category and sub category. I discovered some real gems scrolling through tat list on my iDevice.

Last edited by Stroffolino; 10-09-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Yesterday, 12:53 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 39
I am actually pretty optimistic about the new store. I have been watching the "Today" section every day. This is providing many new opportunities to get featured. Also apple is regularly featuring games as old as 2 yrs in this sections. This means that after you release a game, if you don't initially get featured you still might get featured down the road.
Yesterday, 12:52 PM
#8
Not to be cynical, but if an app isn't initially featured by Apple, I can't imagine any circumstances where they'd change course and suddenly decide to feature it years later. Have you seen this happen? I'd expect it far more likely that older successful games would end up being re-featured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zq7r View Post
I am actually pretty optimistic about the new store. I have been watching the "Today" section every day. This is providing many new opportunities to get featured. Also apple is regularly featuring games as old as 2 yrs in this sections. This means that after you release a game, if you don't initially get featured you still might get featured down the road.
Yesterday, 10:14 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Not to be cynical, but if an app isn't initially featured by Apple, I can't imagine any circumstances where they'd change course and suddenly decide to feature it years later. Have you seen this happen? I'd expect it far more likely that older successful games would end up being re-featured.
You could be right. I don't know if these games were featured in the past. Crossing my fingers though.