iPhone Revamped Gamebook Adventures series coming soon to the iPad!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TheTinMan, May 25, 2010.

1. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Well it was inevitable really wasn't it? The iPad is certainly an impressive reading and gaming platform so we were really excited to get working on an iPaddable (is that a word? Oh well, it is now...) version of Gamebook Adventures. We're looking to release both An Assassin in Orlandes and The Siege of the Necromancer for the iPad in the coming months. As you can see below we have managed to transfer a large majority of the gamebook into our iPad GA engine. We've held up our current iPhone version too to give you an idea of scale.

[​IMG]

One of the key issues that we wanted to address one starting iPad development, was that we did not want to solely port across the iPhone version as it was. We've noticed many other iPhone developers and *ahem*, certain competitors rushed out ports, solely up-rezzing their existing apps and quickly throw them up on the app store. While that's fine, they are not really using the full capabilities of the platform. I mean, come on people, this is an awesome platform! Let's make these games this seriously shit-hot!

A great feature of the iPad is that you change the orientation of the screen by rotating it. While this is also available on the iPhone, it wasn't really feasible for GA as the text would have been too small to read. Now that we have lots of pixels to play with however, we can now set the orientation to however you feel most comfortable. This also means we can now display a full open book, with text and images printed across both pages, as it would be if you had a real book!

[​IMG]

We'll still include all the cool GA features such as the 3D physics based dice rolling system, achievements, and interactive menus, but we're also wanting to make use of the iPad's unique features by having the character sheet, maps and menu based options appear as floating menus. This means you never need to leave the gamebook.

As well as increasing the resolution of all the in-game artwork and illustrations (including adding coloured versions), Gamebook Adventures is looking amazing on the iPad! We'll release more info about these upcoming releases as soon as we have it.

The Tin Man

2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    SWEET! Sounds awesome, can't wait for future news. :)

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I haven't tried the gamebooks on iphone but WOW does it look fantastic on ipad!

4. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    You really should, this series is fantastic. First one's currently on sale in anticipation of the second one's launch too.

And man, this really does look incredible on the iPad. I so wish I had the disposable income to pick one up...

5. Chaosprower

Chaosprower Member

Dec 28, 2009
    If I already bought the iPod touch version, do I need to buy it again or I just need to update?

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looks great!

Waiting for books 2 & 3 :)

7. TheTinMan

All you will need is an update as we will make the app universal! :)

We do want it to feel like a different reading/playing experience on the iPad though and not a simple port, which is why we're going to take a little longer putting it together.

8. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Fantastic!

This way I can buy the upcoming games for my iPhone as soon as they are released, and then switch them over to my iPad whenever I buy the iPad. Otherwise I might have considered putting off my purchase until I possessed an iPad, to avoid paying for both and iPhone and an iPad version.

9. Chaosprower

Chaosprower Member

Dec 28, 2009
    That's great!

I loved the first book, but I didn't get the ultimate ending, maybe I'll give it another chance in the iPad version*. :) Also looking forward for the next book.

*If I'm able to get an iPad at the European launch.

10. TheTinMan

Just wanted to let any Gamebook Adventures fans that things are going well with the universal iPad versions of GA1 and GA2! We've slowed down a little to allow for iPhone 4 upgrades and a number of other changes as well as finishing the upcoming GA3: Slaves of Rema, which is currently in beta.

You can check our blog for more updates over the coming weeks!

The Tin Man

11. virtualsmith

virtualsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Software Engineer - Telecommunications
    Colorado
    This looks awesome! Looks like a day-one purchase for me!

Brings back memories of the old gamebooks from the 80s... :)