iPhone Little Crane World Editor

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by bram, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Title: 'Little Crane World Editor'
    Companion app to: 'The little crane that could'.
    Target release date: april 2012
    Target release price: $2.99
    Platform: Universal Binary iPhone/iPad (full retina support)

Little Crane World Editor is coming to the app store, and will enable you to make your own levels for the (free) hit game 'the little crane that could'.

Featuring a cell-based modelling method, the world editor makes creating levels for the little crane is as easy as playing with legos. Just connect up blocks with six degrees of freedom.

The world editor lets you store your level designs in the iCloud, so that you can design them and play them on any iOS device you own. Moreover, you can share your designs with friends via email.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bram Stolk
    Author of 'the little crane that could' hit game.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Totally cool, and makes me wish I had a mac to run it on. :eek:

3. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hah... don't be fooled by the large screen: the editor is actually running on an iPad. It can also run on iPhone :)

4. AgieCan

AgieCan Member

Apr 18, 2012
    This is a very cool application, thanks for making a world editor.

The thing that misses is the job that has to be done.
    It would be much more better if we can make a mission in stead of just a map(world). :eek:

For sample: if you get a ball through the basket the game ends or if you get on one the (black white) floor the game ends etc.
    So if we can choose at which action the game actually will end that will make this app much more better.
    Just an idea for future updates.:rolleyes:

(if I've written down something wrong, sorry ( I'm not perfect in Englisch ):p

5. Gourlaykid

Gourlaykid Member

Apr 18, 2012
    You can make missions if you put down the black and white checkered board when the vehicle touches it the game finishes

6. AgieCan

AgieCan Member

Apr 18, 2012
    With the black white floor i ment checkered board. I mean making missions like the missions we already got. Like making a road.

And it would be much better if you dont have to have a face to set a box on the map. Sample: you cant make 2 towers without adding a floor to create a face.
    Just an inspiration.

7. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    If I want to make two towers standing on the plane, I simply add some temporary blocks between them, and delete them after building the towers.

8. Gourlaykid

Gourlaykid Member

Apr 18, 2012
    #8 Gourlaykid, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    Move

Can you add a move in so you can move lots of bricks at one time and also could you add in a T way juntion for the road with the line down the middle and then possibly a + junction after

9. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you for the feedback. I will consider the move functionality, but before I can do that, the selection mechanism would need improving. Selection is very crude at the moment.

I have added the T junction. It will be part of the next release, which is soon. V1.1 will also fix a launch-crash for people that have local-designs only and no icloud stored designs. Lastly, the 1024 block limit will be doubled so that you can make larger worlds.

[​IMG]

Bram

10. Gourlaykid

Gourlaykid Member

Apr 18, 2012
    #10 Gourlaykid, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks that will make my roads look a little less weird. Also would you be able to update the 'Game' App so it can open the .cranelevel files

p.s. do you know when this update will come out

11. AgieCan

AgieCan Member

Apr 18, 2012
    I wanted to share this game level with you guys that I've designed.:cool:
    You need to get to the checkered board to finish. It's pretty hard so It's kind of a challange for you guys to finish it.:D

Hope you enjoy it and tell me what you think about it:rolleyes:

12. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hooray! The first community-designed level I played. Thanks for sharing.

Some comments:

- You did not name the level, it was still called 'Untitled1' which gave me problems loading it: I had to delete the 'Untitled1' I have on my iCloud account first, before I could load yours.

- There was no starting position placed in the level (just place a truck in the level to set start). Without a starting position, it spawns at a default place, which was an awkward place to spawn: I fell on my side at game start.

- Yes, it is hard, I gave up and could not finish it. Did you finish it yourself?

Bram

13. Gourlaykid

Gourlaykid Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Bram see just as a comment about the editor can you make it so we can change the way the vehicles/other movable objects are ie rotatable because some levels there not the right way round

14. Gourlaykid

Gourlaykid Member

Apr 18, 2012
    #14 Gourlaykid, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

That is so hard

Like it I'm gonna keep at it till I get it and I suppose that's what you want in a game people comming back to play

Comments

I noticed there was a stray bit of stairs about the map

when you start You fall (I don't know where that's intended or not)

Edit : Done it. I finally done it on like my 40th try that is a great level :)

15. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    For obscure technical reasons this is hard to do, mainly for the truck. I think I have to pass on that feature.

16. AgieCan

AgieCan Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Thanks for playing it;)

-Next time I'll change the name.

- I know that there wasn't a starting position, but it was pretty nice that it fells on it's side and then back up.

- Yes, I finished it on my fourth try.

17. Gourlaykid

Gourlaykid Member

Apr 18, 2012
    #17 Gourlaykid, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

Ah ok. Do you think you could add in a system that we can upload our map but we can login and update / add to our portfolio so other can download and play them

Edit: forgot the end bit

18. AgieCan

AgieCan Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Can't you make a update where we can make selections and delete them, or dublicate the selections rotate them.
    Sample: if you make a stair up and if you want to get it down after you need to make all those blocks again. So it would be better if we can select, dublicate and rotate them.

19. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Well, sharing via this touch arcade forum kinda works, but a dedicated site with designer profiles would help.

However, I was hoping the user community would pick up the task of building a site.

I suggest we give it a little time.
    I believe little crane now has something like 2M downloads, and the editor 1500 downloads. For now you guys are the pioneers, but once it sees 50k users or so, there are bound to be a few users that start a tlctc site. My advice is to share them here, until a site springs up. Heck, even a blogger site works, of designers that link to each other?

IMPORTANT WARNING:
    iCloud shared document links expire!
    I have NO control over this, it is an apple thing. I think exported doc links expire after a week or so. If it expires, you can always export again. Maybe iTunes on Mac will let you extract the raw .cranelevel file that never expires?

20. Gourlaykid

Gourlaykid Member

Apr 18, 2012
    #20 Gourlaykid, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

I will make the site for you

I will post it up in a few days once my exams are out the way and I've got some time