Most bandwidth consuming apps/games.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by CassieTheChaoticCupcake, Jan 12, 2012.

1. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

I was wondering what apps or games took up the most bandwidth possible. I'm wanting to test the limits of my connection with the devices, so if there's a way to maximize my bandwidth usage, I'd like to know the best apps for it. :)

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    If I get what you are particularly asking, look no further than this app. However, if you are looking for something free, or not anywhere NEAR that incredibly hefty pricetag, I don't know what else could help you. Sorry :eek:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifiperf/id458836095?mt=8

3. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

I was looking for apps that use my bandwidth, not measure it. Maybe an online game or something that requires a lot of bandwidth to play. I need an Internet-hog lol. :)

4. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    OHHHH sorry I generally suck at piecing words together to understand what people are saying. :rolleyes:

I would generally think that a game such as Order & Chaos, on a more populated server would be pretty bandwidth intensive. Are you trying to test it on multiple devices? Or what. Cause I mean, I guess you could always download the speedtest.net app and run that over and over. You could always go to the appstore and download free large filesize apps from the appstore, like Dungeon Hunter 3.

Just something to try I guess. ^.^

5. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Fact: online games don't use much bandwidth. You'll consume more bandwidth by watching youtube videos than playing online games (MMORPG/FPS).

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/all-of-wiki-offline/id364878448?mt=8

^
    That. Or any Wikipedia offline apps. The one I linked requires you to download data lumps over wi-fi. English data lump is 4GB.

*Edit: oh and yes, Gameloft games have pretty big file sizes. So I suggest you wait around for a sale and grab a bunch of those?

6. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Admittedly, when I first saw this, having not knowing anything about it at all, I couldn't help but think "Bull shit." hahahah. But a little investigation shows that you are indeed right, online games do use relatively low bandwidth. I knew downloading things, depending on what you are downloading and what from, use quite a lot. But FPS games and even lower (surprisingly) MMORPG's, hardly use any. I would have never guessed that honesty.

But yeah like I said, I would just download the new Freemium Gameloft games. No cost, and they are usually no less than 400mb. Hahahaha

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What reason do you have to waste so much bandwidth?

If you're just looking to speed tests, there are apps for that.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Get a download manager and then find anything huge (and legal) to download outside of the App Store.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The speedtest.net app is pretty nifty. Just use that.

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Allofwiki really only needs you to download the database once although sometimes it's app updates seem to mess it up and you need to grab a newer copy of the database. It is a very good app though it's nice being able to look anything up anywhere.

I'd say order and chaos as well as far as games go and the only other apps I have that use a good bit of bandwidth are skype and instacast (very good podcast app).