Lets talk real multiplayer (online multiplayer)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by zsilverman, Jun 19, 2009.

1. zsilverman

zsilverman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I have some issues with some of the big developers out there. And frankly, im not too pleased with the consumers for not pointing this out to developers, it seems im the only one! Here is my concern.

How is it that so many big developers neglect to include online multiplayer in their games. Esecpially in games in where online multiplayer is almost essential. Im talking about games such as monopoly for example. BTW, wifi multiplayer means nothing, because it is useless. lets be honest, how many of you have friends who own an idevice and the same game with you in the house so you can play using the wifi multiplayer mode. What really upsets me is that people do not mention this at all. I went and looked at all the reviews for monopoly on itunes and i was the only one who said anything about this!

I started thinking about why they dont include this feature (It was more like justyfing their actions) so I thought to my self, maybe its too costly or too difficult or perhaps even impossible. But its none of these! What makes me say this? Well, there are many developers (small ones too - relativly speaking comapred to EA) who have implemented this! Eurocentre is one such example. they have online multiplayer in a lot of their games ( i have ace tennis and it works pretty well)

So i guess im just frustrated with big develoeprs (EA for example) that make games like monopoly without such essential features and the consumer base is not ever speaking out.

please feel free to comment, am i the only one who thinks this? Is there something wrong in my thinking?

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    no i agree i have three friends with ipods and it is still hard to play head to head

3. somedude445

somedude445 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    i agree 100% , to be honest i dont even think about buying games that dont have multiplayer unless its a type of game that really interests me, such as caster or Zenonia.

but if u are looking for some good multiplayer games, F. A. S. T has got to be the best one out right now, especially because there's always people playing it, and its got unlockables and a coming "war" mode.

4. zsilverman

zsilverman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    OMG, i just checked FAST out. I love it just from the desciption. Thnak you so much. DOWNLOADING NOW!

TO all developers, more online multiplayer games please!!!!

5. Xgamer1224

Xgamer1224 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    FAST looks ok but it seems more like an mmo mafia type game to me. i hate those games. or is it mostly just a dogfighting xplane that is only online? and does it have peer to peer bluetooth? plz correct me if i am wrong in my previous statements.

6. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    They are probably putting more effort into the more hard hitting/money making titles instead of spending time on every single title which is a waste of time and money for them but more beneficial to us. To be honest the only reason the keep doing it is that people are still supporting them by buying their products. My 9th grade AP US history teacher always used to tell us how alot of things which could've easily been changed weren't for the simple fact that it works and why change something that is already effective. That is one of the reasons people say if you don't like it don't buy it because if you keep supporting them by buying their game what is their motivation to change it?

Honestly I think if you were put in there position it would be more of a preference and you might not feel the same way. If you are trying to make money in order to keep your job are you going to sell 5 great games with full features or are you going to sell 15 decent games with good features.

You also have to remember there may be some stuff you don't understand and putting multiplayer into a game like monoply or something might take more time and hurt sales. Im sure there was a time schedule they looked at and adding something like multiplayer would cut into their schedule for the year.

It would be interesting if you took awhole bunch of good indie devs and put them in one team, then you would have the quality of the smaller companies and the speed and increased game output of bigger companies. Actually when I think about I think apptreasure is currently doing that.

7. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

How does a game that looks as good as HAWX look like a text based mmo. In all fairness now.

8. Xgamer1224

Xgamer1224 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    well i mean it will play like it as in you constantly hve to play. i dont know im just typing my thoughts.

9. somedude445

May 12, 2009
    well not really, thats just this version, they're releasing a war update that will bring full fledged multiplayer with unlockables and stuff. plus its just leaderboards score, any multiplayer game with leaderboards requires u to keep playing if u want to hold onto your rank lol.

but seriously F.A.S.T is tom clancy's hawx but with iphone graphics and a better multiplayer mode (when the update comes out)

ughh it pisses me off so much when good games like this get pushed aside for a cheap knockoff of some stupid ea game that didnt even do well on the consoles.

10. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Really spot on opinion. I agree whole heartedly. I'm happy with the few online multiplayer games I have like Dinosmash. I'm planing on picking up FAST and Home Run 3D as soon as I get some cash. Those look too good to be true.

11. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Dang I didn't even think of online Monopoly.. That'd be awesome.

12. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Acually... There's F.A.S.T., DinoSmash, and well.. A thread i made with a bunch of online multiplayer games *not text based!!* but.. I was really looking forward to a good fps game (like SOCOM) or a mmorpg... Though it's not that easy to create a multiplayer game... EA has really dissapointed me big time.. Some great companies are ngmoco:) *some people think that ngmoco is bad*, Gameloft (sorta), Chillingo, and.. Several others

13. somedude445

May 12, 2009
    agreed, EA is just dishing out dumbed down ports and people are eating them up like no tomorrow =(. a soccom style game would be awesome, but theyd need a really good control scheme. oh and i know theres other multiplayer games i was just saying F.A.S.T is better in my opinion.:)

14. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I think livefire is going to be a eye opener for the MP possibilities of the iPhone. But a awesome 3rd person coop shooter, would be absolutely amazing, DEVS get on it!!!

15. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Isn't that supposed to be released sometime around the 3.0 OS release? So sometime in the near future?

16. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Yep, should be released soon.

Heres what they should do, make a 3rd person coop shooter, the controls from band of brothers could work. make 4 player coop, and it could have in built VOIP, apple has released dev API for such a thing. The game would be hugely popular. You could indeed just port Socom over, I'm pretty sure the iphone could handle it!

17. zsilverman

zsilverman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    good to see im not the only one!

well, thank you all for your replies. I now know im not the only one. BTW, I emailed EA a few weeks ago about monopoly and the lack of online play and got no reply. What do you guys think is the solution to this? Does EA and other Devs read these forumes? If not, perhaps we could ask toucharcade to write an article regarding the disapointments of big companies like EA in regards to online multiplayer.

i'd love to hear what you guys think!

18. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Well i know for a fact a lot of smaller iphone devs read this forum and even post here frequently, i know because one of them go in touch with me over a recent post. As for the bigger companies, whos to say? After a game has been a released a while, pretty much everyone whos gonna buy it, has bought it, so theres no real incentive to continue support. A big company like EA can afford to alienate a small number of potential fan base, where as a small dev cant.

19. zsilverman

zsilverman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    This is true to a certain extent, but not fully. I will have to respectfully disagree with you Tavoss. They could alienate a small group of potential fan base only for as long as the small base does not cause to much trouble for them. If we start speaking up, sending e-mails and convincing the admins of touch arcade to write an article about this, we might make enough noise to catch their attention!

But then, that requires work, LOL.

20. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    How can we make trouble for them? By us letting them know we want multiplayer? Before I continue, I 100% agree that certain games that dont, SHOULD have more MP functionality. But honestly, nothing we can do will make EA add monopoly MP. If they want to do, they'll do it. and they'll do it as a paid expansion in a future update. Companies like EA care about profit, and unfortunatly, they have our money already. They'll only add it if they see a reasonable rate of return.

Our best bet is for the smaller devs to add the level of MP we want, thats the only way the larger devs will do it as well. Because right now, we're all sheep, we see that big name title and we all run out and spend that 9.99 on it, regardless if its naff or not. Thats the way the game industry works. Now I know some people will jump on and be like "I'm not a sheep", well then, you're the exception. I like to think I'm not, but god knows I've bought some of those titles and then 10 mins later been like, well, thats $5 I'll never see again.

We my friend, are tiny fish in a big ocean.