Universal ORC: Vengeance - (by Chillingo Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jcifrit

jcifrit Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    graduate student/researcher
    Ontario, Canada
    If everybody ignored problems like you do, nothing would get better; suggestions and criticism can be good, you know.
    Take your own advice and if you don't like others' opinions, ignore them.

2. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #82 Leegames, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Game Impressions

I must say this is one of the best looking games I have seen on a portable system. As a dungeon crawler this must be the best looking, and that is counting Ruin on 3DS, Untold Legends 1+2 on PSP, Dungeon Hunter, DH Vita, Pocket RPG and ... well the rest of them. :D

Simple weapon system, but at least one important bit for all us loot lovers, the weapons and shields show on the char.

The style is awesome, the details stunning. Great sound and great atmosphere.

As I expected I will not be playing this much as I cannot stand the touch to move and watching my hand all over the screen, and sometimes the double tap thing gets mixed with my intention to move and I have a hard time seeing why I would want to walk instead of run (hopefully because of some nasty traps later?). The latter I will probably get used to after playing more than half an hour. If you like touch to move I see nothing wrong with getting this.

But for an update D-pad is much wanted for me. Especially since this game blows the competition to bits. :)

3. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    On it!

4. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    well finally downloading cant wait

5. jcifrit

Jul 9, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    2.5 hours until release in my timezone! I can't wait, Chillingo doesn't disappoint!

6. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Frame rate is perfect silk on my iPhone 4S. Also I always like it when a dev tries to figure out good touch controls instead of just plonking a virtual controller onto my screen... although having said that, I do find my left thumb keeps searching for a non-existent virtual stick to control movement in this game.

Haven't played much yet, but a very promising start overall.

BTW does anyone know why Orcs always come from the east end of London?

7. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    This game suppose to be like diablo?

8. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    yes and the graphics desing looks really close to the first video of diablo 3.

I would say if you're in doubt of getting this maybe you should try heroes call they are the same type but this looks more polished and with less fremium crap that hc

9. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I have some nice, beach-front property in Arizona you might be interested in...

10. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Finally found it in the store... Had to search Chillingo and scroll ALL the way to the bottom... what a pain.

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I agree that DM, IB and such look nice, but they're hardly even PSN or XBLA or... Hell, even Wiiware quality. The only reason IB looks so good, as with Rage, is due to it being a forced linear on rails game, assuring that everything will be in its place, perfectly. It doesn't need to rapidly change on demand. It's the same reason Dragons Lair looked so brilliant versus any other game in its day. Or Myst. It's pre rendered captures, and many of the fantastic looking IOS games are just that.

This game, as good as it might possibly be, will be a no buy because of the consumable IAP. At an IOS price of $3, I don't expect there to be that kind of consumable IAP. It's a joke. THIS is the IAP that is killing gaming.

To clarify:

GOOD

Telltale
    Nimblebit
    Big Fish Games
    Magic
    ticket to Ride
    Carcassonne
    Outwhatevers

BAD

.... Everything else?

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Honestly if the game is good, I would pay more money for a IAP less version. This kind of crap is an OCD video gamer issues, but it is still and issues.

13. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    well i was playing like 30 min and what can i say the graphics are great diablo quality and i'm not joking very well polish in all the details for example the body of the bats explode leaving a pool of blood the skeletons leave the bones when they die, the part of the scenery that is even out of reach have a desing and not a black background like in heroes call, some parts of the escenery like colums falling dow etc those for me are little details that make the game experience a lot nicer and smooth.

The music during the fights fits perfectly given it a nice action felling, the iap for gold doesn't seen necesary for now in the first chapter i got 1000 gold and like 5 weapons to sell

I would say is you cant wait for ib dungeons get this one and a dev like this i think they deserve our support for this game that practically came out of nowhere, if you liked heroes call still with all the freemium crap of buy another class, waiting time, iap for rebirth you would love this one 100x times plus it does have icloud support and universal what more could you want

The controls even the tap to move feels smoth if the give us a virtual pad a some bottons to attack and use skill perfect if not the game still the game plays great, the only negative points if like someone else mencioned in this thread is that it would be great to have an option to toggle the always run or tap and hold to walk and tap to run and would be nice the option to buy armor that can change your design hopefully it could arrive with futures updates

To finish a few screenshot of the act 1 and act 2 of the first chapter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sorry for any butchering i made to the english lenguage

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Unfortunately, not very happy right now. The game is supposed to support 3GS but crashes. The initial cutscene, getting armor and killing the first skeleton all run very smoothly. Then for some reason -- and it's happened every single time, even after a hard reset -- it crashes at the same point when attacking a bat.

The graphics are incredible and, as I said, it plays smoothly at first until I try to attack the bat.

I sincerely hope this is something that can be fixed as even though I haven't played it for only a couple of minutes, I'm quite impressed and really, really want to play it.

15. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    There's a difference between consumable IAP that basically amounts to a paid cheat code and consumable IAP necessary to complete the game.

It sounds like this is fully in the former category. I wouldn't buy IAP, but seems that I won't need to.

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Damn. Those pictures though. I'll wait for reviews. I've got enough for one night.

17. jcifrit

Jul 9, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    If you'll actually read through this thread you'd know I haven't made a single complaint, my copy is still downloading in fact. I'm speaking for the devs who welcome feedback.

18. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I think earlier in the thread they said the game wasn't tested on the 3GS. I would talk to Dan about it.

19. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    ehhhhh.... like DH2 the skills don't scale with attack/weapon stats which totally doesn't make sense...it also means that when you fully pump your attack stats and use the best weapon..you are bound to do a lot more damage with your normal attack. The static (upgradable somewhat >.>) skill damages start off rather high and are overpowered in the early stages of the game but end up being vastly inferior to normal attacks much later in the game.

20. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    MI, USA
    IAPs are very unnecessary because gold is so easy to get (looting!). But if you're the gamer who won't buy a game with IAP no matter how unnecessary the IAPs are, simply because they are thereĀ— your loss. :p

I personally like the controls and the gestures instead of buttons for skills. As displayed by the screenshots, graphics are beautiful. Game music is pretty good too, the animations are smooth and detailed. Wish there was more types of equips, maybe in a future update?

Good buy for $2.99.