Just got an iPad...any good horror games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by reverse channel, Jan 16, 2011.

1. reverse channel

reverse channel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Just wondering if there are any decent horror games for the iPad, I haven't really found anything as of yet looking through the App Store.

Speaking of the app store, is there a way to change the layout? In particular, I really liked searching through the categories in the Games section, but now all of the genres seem to be all lumped together. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for your answers! =]

2. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Theres games coming out that are horror like. Forgotten Memories should be good but I dont know if its for ipad too. And Muse, though I'm not sure how it will be horror even if it says it will.
    Oh and Dead Space is also coming, January 25th I believe or something like that. But I'm not also sure if its coming to ipad too.

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    EDIT: Realized you said iPad... sorry. It's an iPhone game, but still might be good played on the iPad.

I really like Prisoner 84. It's a bit short, but the atmosphere in it is incredible.

Here's the TA review too: http://toucharcade.com/2010/07/20/prisoner-84-review/

Prisoner 84

Hidden Games
    Prisoner 84 is a 3rd person action/adventure game for the iPhone and iPod touch that sees the player take control of a p…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Prisoner 84 is a 3rd person action/adventure game for the iPhone and iPod touch that sees the player take control of a psychotic inmate who is attempting to escape Tryton: a maximum security offshore prison. The game takes you on Prisoner 84's journey as he tries to escape. It combines action and puzzles - with lots of hidden surprises! FEATURES: - Over 40 areas to explore - All levels realised in 3D - Combines action with fiendish puzzles! - Supports all generations of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch (running iOS 4.3+) - 64 bit native support
    Information
    Seller:Hidden Games
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Jul 15, 2010
    Updated:Jan 14, 2016
    Version:4.2
    Size:112.7 MB
    User Rating: (6)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

4. Jane55

Jane55 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
  5. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    The scary maze/quiz games if you want a quick scare.

6. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    A couple cool, artsy horror games are

Soul- Guiding a ball of light through a horrific maze, it's an interesting cult title much avoided by the media and such.

Papa Sangre- A totally unique experience, this game requires headphones and an iPod/ iPhone 3g and above. In the game, you do not see anything at all, but hear your way through the whole story. It implements 3d sound technology to simulate real-world sound physics, and using this you must find your way through a land of darkness.

7. zbychu

zbychu New Member

Jul 11, 2013
  8. neilw711

neilw711 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    App Developer
    Virginia, USA
    Try this game that I developed:

Lucen: The Afterlife

Note: Works with iPhone 4S or newer, iPad 2 or newer and the iPod Touch 5th generation. This app is optimized for the iP…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Note: Works with iPhone 4S or newer, iPad 2 or newer and the iPod Touch 5th generation. This app is optimized for the iPhone 5. This app is universal for both iPhone and iPad devices.

A dark horror fantasy game finally makes it to the App store!

Get ready to be thrilled with this action packed arcade game that delivers an intense storyline beyond your wildest imagination!

- An action stationary shooting game
    - Two dark worlds of the afterlife to choose from
    - 50 action packed levels
    - An intense haunting storyline
    - 100% Indie
    - Beautiful haunting orchestra music
    - Grisly but extraordinary artwork and graphics
    - No IAPs!
    - Free updates!

The story of Lucen takes place in the bizarre dark world of the Afterlife. The Afterlife is separated into two worlds. The first world is where the cursed souls are trapped for eternity. They suffer from starvation and pain but their souls live like this for eternity. The second world is a free range environment which is controlled by Death. The souls in this world just wander and wander without any memory of who they are and why they're here. Lucen is a special kind of soul. A threat to Death's Afterlife. Death makes sure he is put away and locked up for good in the first world until a ring of good spirits releases him and guides him out of the afterlife and on the way to the present world. There is something wrong in the present world that drove the ring of good spirits to bring back Lucen and help him escape the afterlife. As the guardian angel, it is your duty to help Lucen escape Death's reign of evil spirits that are chasing after him. There are many disturbing souls that try to lure the young naive kid into their evil schemes but only you can help him stay strong and courageous!

Coming soon:
    - Arcade mini games (connected to Game Center)
    - Pause button: a working pause button will come soon. The last working pause button failed on us so we are working on improving it.

Bugs and problems with the app? Contact support at [email protected]

Game suggestions for the mini-games? Email [email protected]
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Jun 17, 2013
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (1)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

9. JMZapper

JMZapper Member

Feb 3, 2013
    France
    Year walk gave me a few scares

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #10 undeadcow, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    Afterlife is a fairly atmospheric dual stick style shooter with cool flashlight implementation. Alien Shooter is a gory frantic dark corridor style extraterrestial game.

The Woods is a good first person perspective Slender Man style game.

There's another good horror game, I don't recall the exact name but it's something like Survivor 84 (which I can't find on AppShopper).

Stay With Me (iPhone only) is a cool exploration game where you avoid a killer in the dark while looking for survivors and traps/etc.

Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land is a WWI era turn based strategy game based on Lovecraft horror.

Home (on sale for $0.99) is a unique but short adventure game.

Mission Europa is a good first person shooter that's more action and science fiction but with horror elements and gore.

11. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    you mean prisoner 84? :D

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, Prisoner 84. Thanks.

13. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    How about The Eye, The Walking Dead or Dead Space even if the latter two aren't that scary.

14. WontonsiPodHelp

WontonsiPodHelp Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Papa Sangre, Year Walk, The Woods, Forever Lost and NY Zombies are my recommendations.

15. Zeldaniac

Zeldaniac Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2012
    If you're looking for something Slender-style, Slemder Rising is your best bet.

I like Home, but I can't really recommend it as a horror game. It's on sale for 99¢ though, so I recommend grabbing it anyway.

16. Bantocks

Bantocks Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Another vote for home. Not out and out horror but very good. at 69p it's a worthwhile purchase.