MICROMON : A Monster Capture Game for Mobile Devices

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by batux1617, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felix_Felicis

Felix_Felicis Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I'm going to be "that guy" and say:
    Yes, the art style of the monsters is a problem for me.

I think what you have going is acceptable for the world map, and I love the exploration and isometric view.

However, when I look at the monsters I get the impression that a ton of monsters were just cobbled together, and more time was given to creating lots of monsters than in making the monsters good. I can't take them seriously, neither the smaller or larger ones. I don't know if it's because they lack the simplicity of many pokemon, or because a lot of them just look too goofy (which might be an issue with eye design, or the way hands are drawn, especially when monsters have too many "pieces of flair" e.g. frogs with gloves on).

The only reason I'm posting this is because if micromon were released today with all of its content in great shape, I think i would not buy the game because of the monster art.

So I'm not just posting to troll. I hope to enjoy this game someday, but I probably won't unless the monster design gets overhauled. The same goes for supporting the kickstarter. If I had to point to something that's done a decent job with flash-style design (instead of a more pixelated look) I think MinoMonsters is probably on top right now. Unfortunately exploration is miserable in their game, and you get nickel-and-dimed like crazy because of their expensive microtransaction system. I think I'm going to stop playing it altogether because exploration system drives me up a wall, I would love to enjoy Micromon eventually.

Anyway good luck developing. It blows my mind that apple's mobile gaming market has become this big (didn't see that coming 5 years ago), but it blows my mind even more that in all that time no developer has released a competent monster capture/fighting game that rivals pokémon, despite pokémon clearly being the quintessential mobile game of many of our childhoods.

It may be that you don't want to create the kind of game I'd like to play. My ideal game would have monsters with the animation quality of MinoMonsters and the exploration content that Micomon promises. We could possibly add the design consistency and diversity of pokémon (simple (cute?) initial monsters that, when they evolve, gain a more complex and fierce appearance). I would gladly pay a high premium for this game ($15+) if I knew I wouldn't be nickel-and-dimed with micro-transactions. I know this post was super long; thanks for reading and good luck.

2. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I dont understand why you got banned, Moga.

If it's about starting a project, then I honestly dont think it was a controversial reason enough to ban you. In fact, I have seen this similar effort in other thread. I remembered checking out a thread at TA about a college guy trying to single-handedly creating a strategy RPG game all by himself and was in need of some donation help. Didnt see him banned for that.

Other than that, the recent sketch design is looking great!

3. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    I would like an option to pay for all of the iAP of you have to make them due to not getting all the needed funds.

4. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    What is happening to this game? Where are the updates?

5. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
  6. Laurenellis

Laurenellis Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Art Director at Ignis Studios
    Austin, TX
    I agree with you Felix - the world map looks amazing, but the monsters were somewhat lacking. It is too bad that Micromon did not hit their Kickstarter goal because it would be interesting to see new monster designs.

7. Bardock29

Bardock29 Active Member

Nov 18, 2011
    All the screenshots have good quality graphics and are stunning. Cant wait for this to come on live. Hope there is a way for me to try how good this game will be? P.s. Does it have support for 4th generation ipod touch? :^). I know your going to be successful in this game

8. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    ive got to say i can't really take the monster design very seriously and it should emulate a pokemon type design with the same look and feel of it but not a copy. geosociety in my eyes has the best formula and monster design for a pokemon type game on the appstore currently.

9. Bardock29

Bardock29 Active Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Cant wait for august for the game to come out i want to get it and play it. And its very useful to play anytime. Thanks for creating good ideas for this game is going to be great and i know you will have money for it since its going to be a succesful game

10. sir_racer05

sir_racer05 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Kansas, USA
    So is the game dead?

11. sandboxx

sandboxx Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    This game looks really awesome and now nothing... I was really looking forward to playing this game because it looks amazing and like a lot of fun. Please put this in the itunes market I am dying to play this game!!!

12. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    It'll be great to see some of the recent Pocket monsters games in the appstore.

13. pindarotsje

pindarotsje Member

Jun 29, 2012
    ''Since we did not reach our goal there will be a number of features and content that won't be available at launch but we managed to come up with a trimmed down version that will rock the app store sometime between late August - early October (We can't commit to a specific date just yet). Hopefully we will be able to add the extra content/features as updates later on depending on how good we do with our first launch. We have very cool ideas, trust me, this game is going to be awesome.''

was said on their kickstarter page.

really looking forward to this one!

14. dusel

dusel Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
  15. Vincexn

Vincexn Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not to rain on your parade or anything, but they said they're hoping for a late Aug/early Sept release.

16. dusel

dusel Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Sorry for not quoting correctly ;) At least it proofs that they are working hard!

17. jirayasama

jirayasama Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Network Admin
    Brasil
    I asked on twitter here's the response from developers

Moga Interactive @MicromonGame 42d
    @jirayasama We end development by August 31st, Apple should take at least 2 weeks to approve so I would say it would be out there by mid Oct

18. moga

moga Member

Apr 29, 2012
    #98 moga, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    We are still here :p

Sorry for the lack of updates :(... as you know we are a bit short handed and working full time on the game. We do have a Facebook page where we post updates a bit more often.

https://www.facebook.com/micromongame

In regards to the progress of the game... well we are pretty far into it. We had some setbacks though, and we are a bit behind some animations (our main animator dropped the project) BUT we are working hard to make up for that lost time.

What are we working on?

-We felt we could do better in terms of monster design so we had to re-do most of them (we are almost done).
    -Main Character portraits.
    -Fixing some bugs.
    -Fixing maps.
    -Adding a pet system and Avatar system.
    -UI.

What's next?

-We have a GREAT concept artist, so she will help us design more creatures.

When will we release the game?

-I've been noticing a sudden increase in monster capture games lately... I must admit... that makes me want to finish the game sooner... but I don't think Micromon is a game that should be rushed, that being said.. it will take a bit more of development time :(

We were aiming to release the game by end of this month but since we lost our main animator it will take longer. It's been hard to find a good replacement and creating animations for every monster is a lot of work...however, a mid October release is still feasible, sorry for taking so long guys!

I will do my best to post a video this week.... In the meantime I will leave this awesome portrait here!

I would like to I invite you to like our Facebook page for more updates, or you can also follow us on twitter @micromongame ;)

Do you like it?

[​IMG]

PS: He is not the player ;)

19. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Wish he was the player, looks really awesome. One question: Do we get customize our player/character?

20. moga

moga Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Glad you like it! Avatar customization won't be available not at launch :( but we don't rule out the possibility to include that feature in future releases. You will be able to select different avatars though ;)