[Beta: CA & AU] League of Mages: Online Magic Duels [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by i-Free, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i-Free

i-Free Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    #1 i-Free, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    LEAGUE OF MAGES: Online Magic Duels
    Arm yourself with spells and advance from your apprenticeship
    to become the winner of the League of Mages tournament!

[​IMG]
    League of Mages features unique controls, native to iOS system.
    Use gestures to launch spells at your opponent and beat off his attacks!

[​IMG]
    Discover new reagents and use them to learn new destructive spells!

[​IMG]
    Turn your opponent into a block of ice or roast him with a burning ball,
    but don’t forget to dodge his counterattack!

[​IMG]

MAGIC: A fight club for magicians and wizards is waiting for you!
    COMPETITION: Regular tournaments with valuable prizes
    MAGIC POTIONS AND OBJECTS: A surprised enemy is a pushover
    BIG GUNS: Magic staves and wands will help you fight
    CUSTOMIZATION: magic gems will fortify your defense and enhance your attack
    TROPHIES: The more treasures you get, the stronger you are
    ATTIRES TO CHANGE: More than twenty cool outfits for any occasion
    COMMUNICATION: In-game chat allowing to challenge your opponents

Fight online against other players in magic duels and become the best wizard in the League of Mages! Master wizarding skills and develop powerful spells. Turn your opponent into a block of ice or roast him with a burning ball, but don’t forget to dodge his counterattack! Take part in the tournaments, win valuable prizes and let your name appear on the top of world ranking!

The game will be available in the end of July
    through the following link:

[​IMG]

2. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    the graphic is nice...
    I'll try this game when it's hit AppStore... I don't have any AU or CA account, so I can't play the beta.
    I have several question:
    - is this using GameCenter account to search opponent? or something else? I hope that's not facebook...
    - I just feel too quite to stand alone in arena. Can't we see our opponent too in the same arena?
    - Any single player mode?

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    "League of Mages features unique controls, native to iOS system.
    Use gestures to launch spells at your opponent and beat off his attacks!"

There's gotta' be a better way to say that... /Arrested Development quote :p

I am also a little confused regarding how many players are in this game. Is it purely a multiplayer-only affair? Or is there a single-player element?

If it is 100% multiplayer, definitely consider it as a freemium game from the start. You will get more downloads and that guarantees more people playing online, which could start a nice snowball effect and make it very popular :) Just make sure if it's freemium, that you restrain the IAP prices. If there are magic points and you can buy a new spell for.. .say... 100 magic points, I think you could get away with charging $1.99 for 150 magic points.

You could even work that into an advertisement... essentially you are getting three spells for the price of 2! :D (300 points = 2 purchases of 150 points = 3 spells at 100 points a piece?)

Also, the description states the spells are gesture-based, but that video didn't show anything about gestures, at least from what I consider gestures. It seemed like a strange version of ...Geospark, I think. Matching odd shapes together to attack the opponent?

You did say the video was rough footage, though, so maybe you -do- have actual gestures in the finished product?

When I think "gestures", especially with regards to spells, I think, "Okay, so a fire spell... make a line on the screen in the shape of a flame."

Stuff like that, you know? :)

Definitely looks interesting and much more accessible than Mushroom Wars. The art style is cute and seems like it could captivate curious buyers, and if the gameplay does incorporate real gestures and not just matching shapes, it could also be captivating on the gameplay front! Plus if it's Freemium and you have a good pricing model... you could have a real winner on your hands :)

This is only based off of the description, screenshots, and rough footage, though, so if my comments are totally off-the-mark, that would be why :p

4. i-Free

i-Free Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Thank you for your comments, we're glad that the game looks appealing from the start :)

League of Mages was developed as a multiplayer-only game because fighting against real people and friends is more interesting than beating bots. And yes, its going to be a freemium game from the start without any restrictions.

Speaking of the gestures, think of the runes (the flying symbols on the screen) as of the mana needed to cast spells. If you have enough runes for any spell you have unlocked and equiped into your magic wand, then the wand will produce that spell provided that you were able to collect and lauch them in one gesture. So basically, the gesture for casting a spell does change all the time as you need to collect specific runes in one touch flowing around the other runes you dont need or it will break the spell. I hope that explains the machanics better :)

Hello and thank you for your interest! Here are the answers:
    1) Yes, you are easily able to play using GameCenter. Facebook is here only for the social features, so there are no restrictions if you would not like to connect to FB.
    2) In the arena you do see your opponent, and he sees you. Attacks and spells you launch should be targeted at him to make them hit him :)
    3) Unfortunatelly, no single player mode at the moment.

K.R.,
    League of Mages team

5. i-Free

i-Free Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    #5 i-Free, Jul 1, 2013
    We have updated the Beta with the new release. Please check it out: it carries major advancements both in visual style and features.

We're welcoming canadian and australian gamers to join League of Mages Beta and help make the game better.

6. i-Free

i-Free Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    #6 i-Free, Jul 5, 2013
    We have updated the thread with the official video preview.

Those who've seen the previous one might notice how much the game has changed in both gameplay and visuals.

7. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Eh, not out yet? :confused:

8. i-Free

i-Free Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    #8 i-Free, Jul 12, 2013
    Hi copaeci, thank you for your interest in joining the League of Mages!

This secret school of witchcraft and wizardry is still travelling through the planar space and is expected to materialize in this world around the end of July. Our experienced mages will update on the state of the League soon.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #9 metalcasket, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    Since League of Mages is out, it's time to continue this discussion in the game's release thread.