App description: The Outcast is a whole world you experience in your pocket. Join us on this epic text adventure where you'll explore a vast and dangerous world through a unique story system that unfolds at your own pace.

This is a story unlike any other.

PLAY AT YOUR OWN PACE:
--------------------------------------------
We don't want you to sit down and play The Outcast for hours. Seriously. We want you to take it with you throughout the day. It's like a secret world no one else knows about. You might be out and about walking around, eating lunch, or maybe on a date when something happens in The Outcast. When you go in, the story resumes. Maybe you've stumbled across an old rest stop, or a graveyard of cars, or a stranger asking for help. You'll make decisions, meet characters, and explore. Once it's over, you leave and wait for your next unexpected event.

A STORY ONLY YOU CAN TELL:
We built our own engine to tell this unique story. We call it the Firewood engine. Why did we build one? Because it can tell stories no other engine can. Usually, if you make a decision, there's a single outcome. So if you play again, you already know what will happen. With the Firewood engine, we have the ability to make as many different outcomes from your choice as we want. So when you meet a character the first time they might become your friend, but if you play again, they may become your enemy.

This engine ensures that every story will be unique and unpredictable, just like real life.

JOIN OUR GROWING COMMUNITY:
We started The Outcast in June of 2014. Thanks to fans around the world who took a chance on us, The Outcast is what it is today. We're doing this because we want to share the creation of this amazing game with you, our fans.

Please be aware that we're making changes to the game with each episode, and as such, we hope that your feedback will help us to make the next update the best version of The Outcast to date.

After purchasing the game please join our forum and say hi @ http://www.simplemachine.co/outcastforums/

Note:

The Outcast requires notifications to be turned on. This is how you will know the story has progressed. We only send one notification when this occurs. We promise this is essential to playing the game and we will not use these notifications to spam you with sad depressing messages through out the day about how your game or the characters inside your game are "lonely" because you are neglecting them.

Credits:
The Outcast is a game by Simple Machine.
Co-written by Nick Fortugno/Playmatics, Clayton Gumbert, and Simple Machine.
Narrative design by Nick Fortugno/Playmatics.
Art by Ignas Zydelis.
10-14-2014, 04:14 AM
Very interesting passive game. Love the concept. One annoyance with the cave is that you can end up continuously looping it. Would be great if that gets changed.
10-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much! No sure if you're just picking it up for the first time, but we just did a huge huge update that we released on Friday.

If you go into the Community HQ (the small white gear button in the top left) and go into images, you can see what the game looked like before.

On your point about recurring events. Yes, that's super annoying. We have just completed rewriting the engine so that we have complete control over the narrative, it's actually a robust query system unlike any other interactive fiction where we can go from a group of events to another group by setting tags at the end ... but that's more of a fun thing for us.

Now we're on to the task of adding two things, one is ensuring one time special events like the cave do not repeat and building a stronger inventory and boolean system so that we can make options possible based on previous choices made, stuff in your inventory, etc.

We're super committed to our fans so thanks for joining and keep sending us feedback ... seriously, someone emailed us asking if we would add a falcon pet ... we added a falcon pet, lol. We're that serious ... also adding a pet falcon to anything is an awesome idea ... so make sure they're good ideas too, lol. Or just build off the falcon thing.

02-19-2015, 10:28 AM
One of the designers of The Outcast here.

It's been 6 months since our initial release.

We just launched our biggest update yet (rebuilt the engine, brought on an artist, assembled a writing team).

A lot of love went into it and we would love to have you all take a look. I know some of you picked it up back in August (many thanks) so it'd be great to hear what you think now.

We also have 5 promo codes, PM me and I'll be happy to pass it along.
02-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Wow, that's a dramatic change in graphics!

PM Sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-19-2015, 11:24 AM
There's six months and 3 updates in between those two images. Glad it shows!
02-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurrrt View Post
There's six months and 3 updates in between those two images. Glad it shows!
Thanks for the promo code, I'll be back with impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Bought it way back. Glad to see new update.
02-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuryushibo View Post
Bought it way back. Glad to see new update.
No more infinite cave looping!
03-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Thank you for the code!!

Love the whole idea of the game.
I love it when a story is not predictable.

I'm reading some great feedback here and hope that I can get to the point that I can say I made choices or adventure.

So far, I open the game, it acts like I'm going to do something, the 'page' changes (without any choices) and then it's over. I'm left thinking... "Huh... That's it?"

Maybe there's something else that I'm supposed to do? I'm not sure.
I'll try it a few more times and see if something happens.

Certainly, there's more to it.