• Publisher: 2K
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 1567.4 MB
  • Version: 1.3.5
  • Price: $9.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.3 (3)
App description: ***NOTE: Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, and iPhone 5 - WILL NOT RUN ON EARLIER DEVICES, INCLUDING: iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad 1, iPad Mini 1, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 5, iPod Touch 4, iPod Touch 3***

One of the greatest first person shooters of all time, BioShock comes to iOS!
BioShock is the genetically enhanced first person shooter where you can turn everything into a weapon: the environment, your body, fire and water, and even your worst enemies.

You are a cast-away in Rapture, an underwater Utopia torn apart by civil war. Caught between powerful forces, and hunted down by genetically modified splicers and deadly security systems, you have to come to grips with a deadly, mysterious world filled with powerful technology and fascinating characters. No encounter ever plays out the same, and no two gamers will play the game the same way.

Biologically modify your body with plasmids - genetic augmentations that empower you with dozens of fantastic abilities.

Control the world by hacking devices - reprogram enemy security bots into personal bodyguards, modify vending machines to change prices, and transform machine gun security turrets into powerless pieces of metal.

Upgrade your weapons - Craft variants of ammo and plasmids by picking up materials in the city to modify them at kiosks.

Explore Rapture - an incredible and unique art deco world hidden deep under the ocean, vividly illustrated with realistic water effects and cutting edge graphics now playable on mobile.

Make Meaningful Decisions - do you exploit the innocent survivors of Rapture to save yourselfor risk all to become their savior?
03-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Wouldn't recommend it. As a huge fan of the series I bought with trepidation, and my concerns were very much confirmed. On the iPad 4, and, as I hear, on every other device, the framerate is abysmal, with atrociously downgraded graphics and poor controls. There is no customization of controls or graphics.

This is not remotely an acceptable way to experience one of the best shooters of the previous generation, and if this is your first excursion into the series I truly pity you. Pick it up for $10 on any other platform and enjoy it the way it was meant to be played. This port is terrible and if it's representitive of what iOS devices are capable of, it should've never happened. Sure, your phone can run a form of BioShock, but only a grossly multilated, distant cousin.
I think that's a bit exaggerated.Sounds more like you take it too personal that this version is not on par with the console/pc version
It's not THAT bad.Can't speak for the controls though since i play with a controller.Personally i can't play ANY shooter with touch controls.

The console version (360)is also not perfect.You have two graphic settings.You can choose between a choppy 20-30fps or deactivate V-sync and have a much higher framerate but tearing as hell.Afair the PS3 port is not better.

It's just 3 bucks.Hard to go wrong here for people who just want to check if this is their cup of tea.
03-29-2015, 04:05 PM
Shifty at Beyond3D Forums:
"Super upscaled. I can't make an accurate count, but you're looking at about 2.5x upscale in both directions AFAICS, so around 500x300"
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/i...8#post-1834735

That's not ok, people play Bioshock on their Baytrail tablets @720p or 1024x768.

03-29-2015, 05:26 PM
And this is the screenshot from my iPhone 6+ been having a hard time upping this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (172.1 KB, 18 views)
03-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
is this game worth a purchase? i never played bioshock, only have a mac laptop and no xbox or any other game system. always thought of getting bioshock, looked like a good game, but i keep hearing mixed feelings about it on ios. the price drop makes it more enticing but there are other games around the same price that im also interested in, like oddworld stranger's wrath which i never got to play either. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. also im using an iphone 6 as my mobile device..

thank you!
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Mac app store version is currently on 50% off sale right now, you should check it out! - https://macappsto.re/hk/90lh3.m

iOS version is also on limited 50% off, should buy both version, its worth it

and it also support OS X game center + iCloud save progress across iOS & OS X so you could pick it right up & continue the game when you are on your iPad & iPhone, thats why i always tend to buy games on mac app store rather than steam

BioShock - https://macappsto.re/hk/EOcSy.m there's also mac version of bioshock so you could buy it there instead of wondering about the iOS version is good or not, i bought iOS version because it support game center achievements and i am too chicken to play this game on my own so i have to take it outside ... man this game creep me out!

Last edited by henryfakesmile; 03-29-2015 at 06:01 PM.
03-29-2015, 06:04 PM
the game looks quite good from a distance but blurry & low res texture up close, since this is a game for the old generations of iOS device, couldn't expect too much until they decided to update it with metal API

the sound is excellent, immersive with my B&O H8 headphone, man, i am too chicken to play this game on my own! thats why i didn't buy the mac version of it instead went for iPad
03-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I think that's a bit exaggerated.Sounds more like you take it too personal that this version is not on par with the console/pc version
It's not THAT bad.Can't speak for the controls though since i play with a controller.Personally i can't play ANY shooter with touch controls.

The console version (360)is also not perfect.You have two graphic settings.You can choose between a choppy 20-30fps or deactivate V-sync and have a much higher framerate but tearing as hell.Afair the PS3 port is not better.

It's just 3 bucks.Hard to go wrong here for people who just want to check if this is their cup of tea.
I'm not expecting it to be on par; I just feel as though the experience was compromised too much in bringing it to mobile.
03-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Pathetic

I think its disgraceful that its made not to run on iPad 3. This was only superseded by the iPad 4 less than 2 years ago. All of the other recent state-of-the-art iOS games that I've come across run fine on iPad 3 - e.g. for FPS, Modern Combat 5 and 4, Call of Duty Strike Team, Deus Ex The Fall, Dead Trigger 2, etc.

From the other comments, it seems that the game doesn't even run smoothly on the newer models, which seems to me from a layman's perspective to be pretty slack programming. In any case it evinces contempt for the market in my view - like fashion houses that only make dresses in size 0-8. Well, I am planning to upgrade to the 128GB iPad Air in the next couple of months but I won't be buying this game then, or anything else from this developer in the foreseeable future.
03-30-2015, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu-man View Post
Shifty at Beyond3D Forums:
"Super upscaled. I can't make an accurate count, but you're looking at about 2.5x upscale in both directions AFAICS, so around 500x300"
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/i...8#post-1834735

That's not ok, people play Bioshock on their Baytrail tablets @720p or 1024x768.
And on new devices,iPhone 6,6 plus,it run at last as iPhone 4 resolution,and on iPhone 5,5s Like a 3GS resolution..