iPhone Cover Orange (by FDG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I don't recall exactly - I do remember that the guy who suddenly showed up in 2nd place (Paul) had 237,840. At the time, I believe you hand 237, 648 - almost 200 point below 2nd. I believe you were a bit over 200 behind Seth (237,862 MAY have been his score - should be close anyway).

200+ point advantage would be close to an extra point on EVERY level! Considering your 992 scores can't be beat and only the 3G phone seems able to get a lot of 992 scores, it is unlikely he is legit.

But, as I keep pointing out, we KNOW he cheated on COV. Who scores that well on Cover Orange and feels a need to cheat on COV? So we know he cheats anyway.

I'd also point out that after I beat your score, you played some more and passed me - and it was just minutes after that where Seth suddenly popped up to first again - I didn't see him working his way up. Since there is a 2500 point gap between my score and the person behind me, I think he would have been noticed moving up - and his high score hasn't changed.

Sure, there are possibilities, but those are unlikely and we are still faced with the fact he hacked COV without question.

Oh, and I'd estimate his score on the last 20 levels at about 988. Certainly possible, but I'd say only if he got some pretty good slo-mo right away. Another of those unlikely things.

2. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Ctay is back in first place, as she should be. I sure can't catch her unless I found a way to improve scores on the older levels and I don't think that is likely - or that I'll even try.

But the fact that she is ahead of Seth Anubis does not mean his score is legit. It was his score prior to the new levels that were at issue, combined with the clear fact that he definitely hacked Cover Orange Valentine (I don't understand why such a blatantly fake score is still there).

I think, on Cover Orange, he just hacked in a score he thought would be enough for first place, but miscalculated how many points were reasonably possible. As the rest of us have been able to get things like slo-mo working, we could pass him for now, but only because of his miscalculation on the last 20 levels. I suspect as soon as he sees he is out of first place, he'll just bump his score up again.

3. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #1383 ctay, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    No luck getting players to the forum. Still no word from FDG. Moving on.

4. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Yea - Pantsjo is moving up fast!

5. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #1385 ctay, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    Happy Holidays!

6. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Okay, but one rather obvious problem - Cover Orange Valentine just has 10 level and has never changed. Yet Seth is in there with a clearly impossible score (996.4 average per level !!!). I've told them about it long ago, but it is still there.

Maybe they'll listen to you!

Haven't seen Pantjo get more points in awhile. Was hoping for some legitimate challenges to us.

7. cerma1993

cerma1993 New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    #1387 cerma1993, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
    Good

This is very funny and cool gaeme ,I have bought this game on ipad2 recently......
    i want more games related orange cover ? i want best iphone application for my iphone 4s ??

8. Dimbo_Jack

Dimbo_Jack Guest

Just Discovered this forum

Hi Guys - Just discovered this forum where all the hi scorers are. I'm currently at 62 on the GC list and i dont think I have a chance in hell to reach anywhere beyond 253K (at least that's what I think now :) ).

I've always wondered how some of the top scorers have scores that high when in one of my levels I cant seem to get over 907 however much and whatever execution U try.

Am I missing a trick here ? This is the only game I play mostly and interested only because I'm surprised to find myself so high on a world list of 2 million plus players, not being a dedicated gamer, that is.

I started playing this game sometime in August and play it atleast once a day.

Looking for some tips if there are any.

Thanks

9. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1389 dabigkahuna, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    You are in the same situation I was in - except you are higher. I was ranked something over 10,000th place which seemed pretty high to me for not being a hard core gamer. That motivated me to do what I suggest you do - read through the whole thread. Yeah, pain in the neck, but it's what we do to be at or near the top.

I'll give you one big hint though, that applies to most levels, though you may already know it. Get "slo-mo". That will jump your points up a lot. Different people have given different ways of getting it, but the most dependable and consistent is to set the game to game 7 and let it run as much as you can. The screen will have to be on or I don't think this works. If you ever completely quit the game, you have to start over, but on my iphone 4 I can change apps and come back to CO and it is fine, usually. Sometimes - maybe when too many apps have been opened, I'll lose my slo-mo.

Anyway, while it is sometimes inconsistent, the longer you let it run, the slower it gets. I think on my iphone 4, it normally takes about 8 seconds for the level to cycle completely through to a restart. Get it to take 20 or more seconds and you'll definitely improve scores.

I generally let it run, with screen on, overnight - or multiple nights.

Slo-mo does at least two things. The clock moves slower so you can get things in place with more points left. It also tends to reduce the amount of rain that falls.

Another general hint that helps on some levels - you can balance objects on top of oranges. Can be a devil to do, but it works. The real annoying part is when you try to do it on two oranges - I've done it, but it is really tough.

If you have particular levels you want suggestions on, let us know. We can provide some help and ideas that help on one may be a useful strategy on others.

I presently am in 2nd place and am almost sure I'm maxed out. On my 3G iPhone, I would have the top score (different hardware plays differently - the top player can get more points on her iTouch than I can on the iPhone 4) but there is no leaderboard for the 3G.

10. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii

11. Dimbo_Jack

Dimbo_Jack Guest

12. Dimbo_Jack

Dimbo_Jack Guest

Just saw this note about slo-mo. Not sure but let me attempt it sometime over the weekend maybe. Thanks.

13. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Since you have an iphone 4, you can start working on slo-mo right now. When you go to bed, run level 7 - it will keep restarting as the orange dies. This is why this level works to get slo-mo while others just run down to zero points and sit there (thus no slo-mo gained).

MAKE SURE the screen will not turn off after X amount of time. Slo-mo seems to only get picked up when it is running and the screen is on. The more you get, the better. I'll do this several nights in a row.

You can run other apps the rest of the time. I think if you run a bunch of them, you can lose the slo-mo you've gotten so far. So I'll periodically double tap the home button to see all the apps in the task bar. Then hold down on one of them till they jiggle. Then touch the minus sign on any you don't need at the moment - leave Cover Orange on or you'll lose slo-mo!

Trust me, this will drastically improve your scores.

Level 108 is one of the problem ones with the iphone 4 - the clock keeps running to 977 no matter what I do. But that is way better than your score. This is one way I do it, without slo-mo. A quick test gave me 915-925 and some bad ones. Slo-mo would help with this one, btw:

Knock the left orange onto the cart. Have to wait so it will stay on top. Wait for the cart to move further and then bump the right orange so it also falls in the cart and as soon as the cart has move far enough, bump the pole to the left so it drops down. Now the oranges are protected.

You can also drop the second wheel on the left platform after the orange is gone and hope you don't get a bad ricochet at the end.

I suspect you have done these things. I don't have the patience now to do the harder approaches - like balance a wheel on the left orange, knock the pole down with another, and then bump the right orange towards the pole. You still need to hope you don't get hit by ricochets - slo-mo helps with that. Can probably get over 960 this way, if you can be quick enough on the balancing. Balancing is aggravating, but necessary to learn on many levels.

On level 104, I knocked the left orange to the right - needs good speed to get the orange over far enough (so just hit it so it just hits a small part of the orange. Then quickly knock the right orange to the left (in the same place the other orange ended up. Then quickly drop the box on top of them for protection (hopefully the first wheel also knocked the horizontal poll to block the rotation. On a quick test, I stopped the clock at 972.

Oh, I assume you know you don't have to tap a wheel (or whatever) and drag it where you want to drop it. You just tap where you want it and it jumps right over to it - important when timing is critical, as it is in this one, especially the first orange.

Pass on any other specific levels you want some hints on, but definitely get slo-mo and do some balancing if you haven't already.

14. Dimbo_Jack

Dimbo_Jack Guest

Thanks Man. That was a whole lot of info. Will try this.

15. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I probably specified an unnecessary detail in 104. You don't have to have the wheel you used to push the left orange over to also knock the horizontal poll because when you drop the box on the two oranges, the box will block the rotation.

Looking forward to you jumping up your scores.

On balancing things on top of oranges (any of the objects can be balanced), I've taken two approaches. One is to hope for luck - just quickly tap above the orange and hope it works. It usually doesn't, but the quicker you are, the more points you can usually get.

The other approach is to hold my finger on the screen, fairly low (below that line that goes across the screen), and SLIDE my finger up to get the object where I want, then release. The advantage to this is that the object is well above where your finger is so you can see it clearly and line it up properly. Still hard though.

16. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I think we have another hacker - don't see any way a person could be that far ahead of Ctay unless they used an iphone 3G - which doesn't have the leaderboard.

17. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Dimbo Jack,

I see you finally passed the 253,000 level and the last jump seemed a big bigger than before. Congrats!

I'm still a bit mystified about you not getting some really big jumps though. I mean, you had pretty darn good scores already and didn't even know about slo-mo? So I figure you must be a strong player who would quickly add hundreds of points in short order by getting slo-mo. After all, with 260 levels, there is certainly a lot of potential gain.

So, have you gotten the slo-mo yet? Again, just set your phone so the screen stays on and let level 7 run all night (don't do anything to actually play the level - you want it to keep starting over).

I've had a few occasions when I didn't get much change, even after all night, but I'd just let it run the next night, etc.

We need some excitement here and I don't think any of us old players can make much of a change in what we already have so it's all up to you!

Get enough slo-mo and you can do take a picture (press the top and home button at the same time) for a screen shot and you also get a gap in the rain. But without slo-mo it won't matter enough. And it still takes luck to get the gap where you need it.

18. Dimbo_Jack

Dimbo_Jack Guest

Thanks Man -

Haven't been playing much over the last few days. Only time I do play in a day is early morning before work. Haven't got upto slo-mo yet. I was at 252,998 this morning and then got lucky on level 173 to get some 30 points (though my best there is still 950 odd) that helped me cross 253K. I know there's room for improvement seeing the gap ahead of me, but maybe I'm too lazy.

Also to let you in on a secret, my kids play with my phone more than me :). This is the only game I liked and got addicted because of the variety. The angry birds stuff looks lame in comparison !!

Also I saw your comment abt the hack and someone jumping ahead by a huge margin. That certainly is a demotivator, if its so easy for people to do such things.

I thought we had 240 levels unless CO has added another 20 which I haven't yet seen. Will update my app.

I use my phone as a phone too much so not sure when I can have enough time to keep it aside without fiddling away. The only time I can see is probably a Saturday night and I cant see putting my phone away for more than 8 hours at a stretch. Would that be good to help the score somewhat ?

Hey thanks also for letting me know how to snap that screenshot. Always wondered how people do it (also lazy or forgetful not to google it !!!)

Hopefully I will climb further but patience is key.

19. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Getting slo-mo has no effect on phone calls. You let the game run and if a phone call comes in, the game stops while you do the call. No problem with an iPhone 4. Of course, overnight you probably won't get calls anyway, but it won't matter. Of course, keep it plugged in during this process to keep from draining the battery.

The only tricky part is to avoid losing slo-mo. I'm not sure of the details, but I know that sometimes it just suddenly goes back to regular speed. Don't delete it from the task bar because that will lose slo-mo every time. But also if you run a bunch of apps before going back to CO, you can lose it. So I'll periodically go to the task bar and delete apps from it to reduce the chance of them forcing CO to start over. I've been known to run it overnight every night for a week or more. None of this stops me from using the phone or other apps. Again, as far as I can tell, the screen must be left on when running the game overnight or whenever. I tend to let it run every chance I get. If I'm sitting at my computer like I am now or watching TV, I plug in the phone and start level 7 running. Well, not now - I'm not trying to get slo-mo now. Looking at my notes, it is possible for me to get 11-12 more points (I've stopped the clock early enough, but didn't win the level and it is really hard to get the clock to stop that soon on those particular level - got tired of trying).

I don't see any way to get close to the very top without slo-mo.

You can tell if it starts over because even if it is in the task bar, when you launch it, it will show the normally launch screens instead of showing whatever was on screen when you quit the last time.

I think it may also depend on how big an app you run in between. At least since I've been playing Infinity Blade lately, I've seen CO start over again more often.

Level 7 normally takes 7-8 seconds to go through a complete cycle. Get it to 20 seconds and you'll benefit. But longer is always better. Over 30 is much better.

Level 173 is tough. One strategy is to balance a wheel on both oranges and just drop the other wheels out of the way. Pain to get two to balance, but I've done it. But that might not be good enough without good slo-mo - too many drops ricocheting around! And to get more points, you'd have to be darn quick. You can also drop a wheel to set off all the bombs, knock one orange down and only cover one.

The guy listed 4th (Seth) is definitely a hacker. While his score is possible, before the latest update, he had a score that was not. And for confirmation, he also hacked the old free version (may not be available anymore) called "Cover Orange Valentine". Only has 10 levels. His score AVERAGES 996 points! Simply not possible.

I think when he put in a bogus score this time on CO, he miscalculated - he entered enough to be in first place for awhile, but not enough to stay there. He has never appeared since on the "Today" or "This week" list - what top scorer would suddenly appear and never come back? Someone in first place out of over 2 million is going to at least sometimes be showing their friends.

Now, the new top scorer is a little harder to tell. His score is theoretically possible, but not likely. Showed up suddenly for one thing. And to be 77 points ahead of ctay is rather huge for this game. I can beat it on my 3G iPhone (257,793 - mostly because 992 scores are more common), but that phone doesn't have the leaderboard. The third generation iTouch can get more points than the iPhone 4 - it can get some 992 scores, but the iPhone 4 can't as far as anyone can tell.

It is discouraging - game center is really a joke in many cases (just look at all the impossible Angry Bird scores). This one is controlled better than most. The makers have gotten rid of hackers sometimes, but not every time.

You must already have all 260 levels. If you didn't, your average score/level would be over 1000, which is impossible without hacking. It starts at 999 and no one has ever gotten more than 992 on even one level.

Get slo-mo. It will make a huge difference. BTW, what is the highest score you have gotten on a level? Shouldn't be more than 991 on an iPhone 4, but if you have gotten 992, we'd love to know which one and how!

20. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1400 dabigkahuna, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    New levels!

Dimbo Jack, if you can play them quickly before other top players do, you can move up - at least temporarily!

Oh, and if you did start trying to get slo-mo, getting the update will lose it again. Sorry about that! But at most you'll only have lost a day if you did try to get some last night.