Automated newsletter for promotion

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rikschennink, May 11, 2012.

1. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    I'm building a newsletter in campaignmonitor and want to send updates about my app to review sites using this service.

The people I'm going to email did explicitly not sign up for it, I got the email addresses from this forum and from various other lists of review sites on the web.

I'm wondering if it's a problem if I send these people an automated newsletter for promotional purpose, although they did not sign up for it they want you to contact them for app reviews at that address.

Is this a problem, is it considered spam? Is anyone else using campaign monitor to send out app updates and promocodes to review sites?

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    You can only send email to people that has opt-in to your newletter (confirmed the subscription)
    If they didn't subscribe to your newsletter it's spam.

3. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Hm, that's what I was afraid of, any other ways to send nicely formatted email?

4. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    I decided to just send it out, it works great and have not had any complaints yet.

I figure the review sites put up the email addresses to be contacted about updates or press releases, wether the email is automated or not should not matter as long as it is about your app and not about certain pills to enlarge certain body parts. :)

5. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    ok, I though you were using forum user email.
    If it's official email from review web site, you should be fine.

Of course if you send them an email too often, you will probably be flagged as spam.