Universal Fate/Grand Order (English) (by Aniplex Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by L.Lawliet, Jun 25, 2017.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Sure whatever you say man. I guess basic gacha game gets top 10 sales worldwide mobile rankings and is constantly top 5 in the Japan mobile stores. If only everyone could make basic gacha games and get rich.

https://pvplive.net/c/injustice-2-beats-out-overwatch-in-console-digital

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/news/64574/fate-grand-order-more-successful-in-japan-than-pokemon-go/

And it's so big that "It did help push revenues up by 8% for Sony's music division, where the game has been placed within the company."

And there's dozens of more articles like these out there. These were just on the top of Google search.

2. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Ok cool, that's supposed to change how I feel about it? Popular manga and anime games are popular, that's nothing new. Also yes, basic gachas do get top 5. Mobile strike and game of war are above it and they are not only nothing special but even bad. I try pretty much every new hyped f2p with a popular following. This game Just didnt grab me, doesn't mean you have to like it less, enjoy.

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I agree I already deleted it.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Are the treasure vault and ember gathering quests every day? Or just some days?

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    You said it's basic. I'm saying it's not basic.

I'm not trying to change how you feel about it but I can say you're wrong. I didn't say you had to like it, I simply stated my counter to your opinion of basic. You can delete or hate it or whatever but I'm free to say I think you're wrong.

I think those games aren't basic. They have to have a draw to make people play them. Basic means it's just like most other games of their type. So how come other games can't make that money? Because the ones that make money have something that other ones don't offer, which makes it not basic.

Basic gachas do NOT get top 5.

6. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    So how long did it take one to grab a 5* from their second pull? Thinking about just sticking with my three 4*'s.

7. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #127 Montanx, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    The gameplay hook did not hook me. The game is popular because Fate is popular. You can throw anything against the wall in Japan and if it has a popular name on it, it will be a high grossing game. See bleach, one piece etc. Basic or even bad games get top 5 all the time in japan, they are fiends for gacha. Thismis a silly argument anyway since it's based on personal opinion. I also think mobile strike and game of war are Ebola, but they are even higher, so go figure.

Oh also there's not even an auto battle function which is mandatory for these grindy squad builder games. Can't even let it play passively. Now you will say "oh noob you want the game to play itself?", and the answer is yes, everyone does. It's a staple of the genre.

8. chronosz

chronosz Well-Known Member

May 24, 2016
    thanks for the reply about Altera lawliet!

9. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    No, everyone does not. You know what else is a staple of gacha games? Having to have 5* characters to get anywhere. Funny, this game doesn't do that either.

10. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    That's by design. Usually in these games you can raise your lower star guys into higher star guys over time but not here. So they made it where you can play and progress perfectly fine with a team of 3 and 4* guys, which is nice.

11. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Precisely. And it distinguishes it pretty handily from the typical game of this type.

12. pheriannath

pheriannath Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    #132 pheriannath, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    JP version player here. I've been playing FGO for the past 2 years as well (practically since the beginning, I barely missed out on the initial Saber Lily).

For what it's worth, the basis of FGO's appeal and the reason I'm still playing it to this day is the content and the writing in this game. The gameplay is fun as well (I would not have played it if it were boring), but FGO appeals to me more as a visual novel than as a gacha battle game. Simply put, it's a really good read.
    (Disclosure: I had previously played the Fate visual novels to completion, so I picked up this game knowing the lore and what I was in for)

To provide an example without spoiling: upon the release of the first arc's final chapter, a substantial Quartz bonus was awarded to the players who had completed all the previous chapters. I missed out on that bonus because I was too engrossed in reading the story while I was playing through the second last chapter (in
    Babylonia
    ) and took too much time.

That being said, while the original writing was good and mostly engrossing, sometimes flat out emotional (even in the seasonal and limited-time events - like last Christmas), I can't help but feel concerned that some of that will be lost in translation. Especially for those pockets of writing heavily steeped in Japanese culture, modern or otherwise.

Another observation: the first FGO App Store screenshot features a claim that it is 'more than a million characters'; obviously for marketing, but it's also a translation misrepresentation as it looks like they just used the literal translation for 'word' in Japanese (字). (edit: I previously described it as an error; it's not wrong, but it can be misleading or confusing and there are certainly more sensible ways to translate this)(edit #2: They fixed it!).

It's particularly these kinds of shenanigans that make me concerned about the quality of this localisation. FGO is fun, but sadly I'm not sure if the English version is going to be as entertaining.

13. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    You do have a point about Fate being the main draw. Even the president of Typemoon (Fate IP holder) admitted that early jpnese server was a mess and they were afraid they banked on the IP too much.

But that's where you're wrong to thinking this game is your run-of-the-mill gacha game. FGO pays a lot of attention to its lore, and they don't mind it affecting gameplay. For example, Astolfo, a very popular servant is explicitly stated in their lore to be weak, so the dev went out of their way to make that servant pretty much the weakest 4* to be released. Who the hell makes a new rare unit to be bad, who are they going to sell it to? They don't care, they believe that "if you love the servant, you roll them."

Another example is their storyline deadline. In the JP server, humanity won't survive past 2017. So approaching the end of real-time 2017, and by that I mean the last days on the calendar, they push out the last Singularity right after the Xmas event. You look at it from a business viewpoint and it's terrible: pushing your staff during holiday season without even a gacha to pull in some revenue (yes the last chapter isn't not accompanied by a limited gacha), telling players to participate in final boss raid right after they just done grinding Xmas event, what's more, servants with more bond points (the points you accumulate for using a servant for a long time) will deal more damage. Their reasoning was "now it's the time to defend history, let's do it together with the servants you share bonds with."

And finally, it's also the reason why an auto-battle function, or an NP-skip button won't happen. The dev wants players to appreciate their servants and the battles they've been through.

Actually, there is already a function in the NA server to use the Grails you collect to expand servants' level caps, potentially growing bronze units to gold units. However you can only do so to a few servants. You can guess the answer for that: Grails aren't supposed to be abundant according to the lore. So it's better to grail servants you love.

14. Sequence

Sequence Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I have way too many gacha games I'm playing right now and did not want to add another one to my plate (DragonBlaze, Mobius FF, FE Heroes, Marvel Contest).

But damn it, I just started a new account and got 5* Vlad, 4* Heracles, 3* Medea and 3* Robin Hood (!!!!). Looks like I'm committed now. Now have to decide which gacha game to quit.

15. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Out of the four imo i'd pick Mobius to drop out (its just one guy in different outfits) or FE, because the grid is way too small for this type of game.
    Dragon Blaze has new stuff coming steadily now to the point of cannot keep up and CoC if you are invested, don't drop it.

16. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    #136 adamphetamine, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Have two accounts to give away, both have 5* Jeanne d' Arc and a few 4*s. First PM's first get.

Edit: wow that was quick. Both given away, sorry!

17. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    Anyone else have any account rolls with 5*s they don't need? Been re rolling for two days straight with no luck haha. Just a 4* on top of the already free 4* saber.

18. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    30$ a 10 pull is a bit crazy. It appears there's about 5-6 5*'s in the game?

19. barbicoh

barbicoh Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Got Altera, Cu Chulain on my first 10 pull. My free pull was bad.

Getting antsy to pull a decent 5 star because I really want Zhuge Liang so looking to reroll more. As long as I have the one time code thing this account with Altera would be saved right?

And what does it mean to put Mashu on the backline does that mean the 4th 5th and 6th slots? Does she level up as well there because currently I have Altera and Cu on my first two slots.

20. mbjones

mbjones Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Director of Technology Services
    Cape Town, South Africa
    If you get your Zhuge and want to give away the Altera account let me know! :) I tried re-rolling about 20 times and never got a 5 star.