For an RPG fan, the iPad has become my favorite handheld gaming device.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by donner, Jan 30, 2014.

1. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I don't think any other handheld gaming system can come close to stacking up against the iPad as far as RPGs go.

Sure, there are some great exclusive titles on the 3DS, but the quantity and quality available on my iPad is making my 3DS gather dust.

How bout you guys? Any RPG enthusiasts out there think similarly? Or do you think the 3DS outshines the iPad in this genre?

2. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Definitely... BG, BG2, Kotor, XCOM, FF(s), etc... RPG paradise.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love RPGs but never owned a 3DS so can't compare. iOS is an accessible platform for indie developers and there are some low key RPG gems on App Store exclusive to mobile. Make sure to post some recommendations or comment in game threads when you can, I'll be curious to see your opinion.

4. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Undeadcow, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I'm curious if you think there are any iOS exclusive RPGs that are as high quality as the top tier RPGS ports (BG EE, KotOR, FF, etc)? I know there are a lot of indie or iOS exclusive RPGs available, but I've always viewed them as being in a lower league as the ports mentioned.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #5 undeadcow, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    I don't think there are many iOS native RPGs that could compete directly with top tier RPG classics ported to the format with their big budget roots. However, I am a fan of the possibility that iOS gives smaller developers the chance to try something crazy and see how it works out. Compelling games like Kingturn, 9th Dawn, Fall of Angels, Cavern, Partia, Dungeon Plunder, Knights of the Phantom Castle, The Quest, etc, etc might not have originated under other circumstances and my personal enjoyment of them has at times rivaled top tier ports.

...Plus if you like action oriented KRPG games it seems like iOS has the market cornered on those.

What are some of your favorite RPG games?

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I've experienced the same. I had a 3DS for about 6 months. I sold it a couple months ago because I rarely played it other than Fire Emblem. The strength of the iOS platform is in the indie games. Much easier and cheaper to develop for iOS or Android than it is for Nintendo. The 360 also had a great program with Microsoft XNA which resulted in tons of indie titles. It just had terrible organization.

The touchscreen lends itself well to TBS, Roguelikes, and RPGs. I'm happy to have discovered its beauty just over two years ago. :)

7. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I like to sink my teeth into a good meaty RPG, but since their such a time commitment I like them to have decent production values, an interesting story and decent challenge. I'm playing BG EE and KotOR right now and loving them. I don't mind old school, I've played through all of the old FF games and many SNES classics.

I went on an impulsive 3DS shopping spree a few months ago and bought up all the good RPGs, but sadly (or happily), I'm finding the iPad offerings more enjoyable.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love it. I've got an ipad and an ipod and its great i can carry around with me some classic RPG's, KOTOR, Baldurs Gate on the ipad, 9th Dawn is one of my favourite RPG's (like an old skool Ultima IV) and of course so many other games

Its an amazing platform to be able to have all these classics in the palm of your hand. Plus the fighting fantasy gamebooks and many more classic RPG's like Chronos Trigger and Ravensword etc, amazing ! (You might tell i'm excited by all these games i've got in the palm of my hand !)

9. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I prefer RPG on iPod/iPhone
    But the annoying thing about it is the small battery life.

10. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    iPad has been my favourite gaming device for a long time.
    Cannot be bothered to plug in the old wii, or even start up the old DS..
    It's just so easy and accessible, cheap games, constant new releases, and the big screen.. I used to play games on my iPhone before I had an iPad and cannot stand to do so now.
    Before I had an iPad I thought I wouldn't use it much.. Thought it was just a giant iPhone..but I was wrong. It has absolutely revolutionised my life, I know that sounds cliche, but it's true.
    It has helped me in so many ways, however, it really is a time waster.. I think before smart phones and tablet were around, time went much slower because we were actually out doing things. Now, 75% of the population is constantly glued to their devices! at work= computer in face all day. At home= face buried in iPad all day. At concerts- iPhone in air capturing video instead of actually watching it happen live! Out to dinner with friends- all sitting around texting and ignoring each other..
    Quality of life has gone down, but ease of life has become much more convenient. I no longer have to count calories, carbs, sugars, and fat, there's an app for that. I no longer have to be bummed that my camera isn't with me when I happen to stumble upon an awesome moment, just pull out your phone, I no longer have to worry about getting lost, my GPS app tells me where to go, iOS devices are brilliant tools, when used in moderation, but I'm starting to think I need to cut down and limit myself to only a certain amount of iPad time per day. It's literally draining my life away. But it's blissfully brilliant while doing so!
    Ps- sorry for the off subject rant.

11. donner

donner Well-Known Member

The number of top tier, we'll reviewed RPG games that have been ported to iOS is staggering.

TWEWY
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    FF IV, V, and soon to be VI (the others too, but these 3 are the best IMO)
    KotOR
    BGEE
    BGEE II
    And yes a HUGE number of well recieved indie titles that can't be played anywhere else.

The 3DS lineup:
    Bravely Default
    SMT IV
    Etrain Odyssey IV
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Zelda OoT, LBW (NOT RPGs, but I love the Zelda series)
    Mario and Luigi Dream Team
    Pokemon X/Y

3DS has a GREAT lineup for sure. But For me, I like the iOS lineup better. I've went out and sold my Nintendo handhelds / games before, only to regret it later. So I think I'll keep my 3DS, but since RPGs take so long to finish, I'm not sure I'll ever get around to playing them.

Honestly though, switching from the beautiful iPad retina screen to the 3DS feels like a huge step back. The controls are nice though.