Bubble Galaxy with buddies - #1 in us but who spoke?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by baptiste, Oct 26, 2012.

1. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Hi guys

I'm still trying to figure out how to make a game pormotion.
    It's always strange to see a game come in the first position without ever having heard of it.
    "Bubble Galaxy with buddies" is in first place today, but when I do a google search with his name, I can not find any major site which speaks about it, only very small sites.
    So my question:
    How do you think they managed to make themselves known?
    Have you ever heard about this game before?
    Do you find sites that talk about it and that might explain this success?

Let's understand together!

2. LAGEddie

LAGEddie Active Member

Oct 16, 2012
    #2 LAGEddie, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    Certainly a very coveted position, and one that our company is also trying to reach.
    I'm downloading it right now to see if there's anything special about the game, but my guess is that they are participating in a burst campaign to try to get as many users as possible in a short period of time. They'll be either incentivized or non-incentivized traffic from other games. The general hope is that you get that traffic, and your game's organic growth potential will keep it afloat in the charts.

UPDATE: I spoke with someone at my company and apparently Scopely raised a bunch of capital. I've never heard of them, but I'm sure they'll hit it big. Game plays REALLY well. I like it a lot.

3. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    for sure they use a burst campaign. But i'm asking to myself why i can't find anything on the net about this campaign. Where are their ads, their reviews, or other forum thread about the game?

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    They were featured by App-o-Day yesterday (or the day before?)

5. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    ok i see now :)
    i saw that you posted already about app-o)day. Do you know how many download this service bring and how many does it cost?

6. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    pming now

7. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

The power of App-o-day!

8. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Shows that any game can make it with the right buzz. Sure it has some kind of half-assed async multiplayer but other than that it's a pretty boring game. Kinda sad if you ask me.

9. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    True. But I think this is a temporary thing that will get fixed eventually.

It's really a question of game mechanics pushing these guys up. What I mean is Appoday and the like will net you 200,000 downloads (estimated). Because this is a with friends mechanic, they'll have to share it with 200,000 other people. Of that, if it's as bad as you say, they won't have the retention to keep the pace up, so the third, fourth and fifth tier of sharing will see it plummeting through the rankings.

It will even out in the end... it just sucks for the other guy with the more polished single player game also doing a promotion today.

10. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    the game is being promoted on various channels.. so if you take enough money into your hands thoose service can attract legal users.. question is for how long

11. LAGEddie

LAGEddie Active Member

Oct 16, 2012
    True enough, but I don't think we're being fair to Bubble Galaxy. I played it today and I have to say that it's very well-designed with a great amount of polish. Sure, it's not novel by any means, but I like how they combined blitz-style mechanics (short sessions), power-ups, and asynchronous gameplay.

At the end of the day, burst campaigns can only do so much for you, and it's all about whether your app can maintain buoyancy by growing organically. A lot of apps can't, but I think Bubble Galaxy will be pretty successful.

12. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    It's really helpfull to understand how to reach the top. At the beginning i believed that the only solution was just to make a good game (yes i know that was stupid).
    So same question about "flick home run". It's #5 on US today. i don't find any reviews, news, for the last days.
    Why? Did it be featured by appoday too? Is there an another way in its case?

13. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    The "Flick X" games have a big fan base already.

There are plenty of ways to reach the top.

The best way is to consistently make fantastic games and build a fan base. This is the most time consuming and hardest way to do thing.

More people (Loopycube included) don't have the fanbase so we're trying to build it up with burst campaigns. We've seen mixed results, but we're only 2 games in... hopefully game 3, 4 and 5 will show better results.

14. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    i hope you will