Looking for New Game (iOS)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CrankTheTank, Jul 1, 2017.

1. CrankTheTank

CrankTheTank New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    hello, this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if this is regular but I can't post on the iosgaming subreddit so here I am. I just recently got an iPhone 6 plus and I am looking for a game to play. I'm a pretty big gamer, but I really don't play any mobile games other than hearthstone (mostly pc but sometimes mobile). I'm looking for one game that I can keep coming back and progressing as I play it. I don't want a f2p p2w crap, game full of micro transactions and energy systems or waiting mechanics. I'm ok with some in app purchases as long as they don't completely limit my enjoyment. TBH I honestly can't tell you what I want other than a sense of progression and replay ability without p2w. It is worth noting that I think those hero collector team battle games look fun so maybe base your recommendation around that, also I am more than willing to buy the app.

thanks for the help,
    Nick

2. Karl Schmidt

Karl Schmidt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I'm looking for a new car. I am a really good driver, but I dont know what I want. I know that a truck is too big and a bike have not enough seats.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Crank/Nick: Hello and welcome to Toucharcade. I don't play those hero collectors, so I won't be much help here. A lot of the TA folks on the Discord seem to like that new Fate game, and Fire Emblem Heroes and Brawl Stars are rather popular too.

I mostly play RPGs and strategy/tactics games, so if you feel like trying something from those genres I do have quite a few recommendations.

Also: Herr Schmidt, wo sind Ihre Manieren? Manners please, that wasn't exactly a warm welcome.

4. CrankTheTank

CrankTheTank New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    @Karl Schmidt Cute, but do you actually have a game recommendation that matches my wishlist that I clearly explained or are you just gonna be an snarky asshole?

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Crank: you too, Mister. Manners.

6. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    #6 Stronsay, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Flick Heroes is one I return to for a few minutes each day for the sense of progression. It's a series of team battles, and, although the flick mechanic looks a bit random at first, there is some thought required to take advantage of characters' strengths and abilities. IAP is optional - additional team members can be bought but they are not essential. Just keep training and upgrading the existing team.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Play nice, children.

Crank, the problem with the "hero collector team battle games" you mentioned is that they're based around F2P monetization, energy mechanics, wait timers, extremely slow progression and the like.

I'm honestly not sure what to recommend, though I've sunk a huge amount of time in an old "classic", Knightmare Tower, over the last 24 hours. It's basically one of those PREMIUM games that hooks you in by constantly dangling a carrot in front of you. Constantly upgrading. The caveat of course is that it's not very long, but it's a full experience. If that kind of shit tickles your fancy, maybe you'll like the Earn to Die games?

8. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Just get Leap Day. You'll thank me.

9. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Might be a longshot but Hunters 2 worked for me... upgrading soldiers, crafting gear, and coming back again and again to finish another self set goal. It's a turn-based strategy game, with a story mode or random daily missions, that reminds me a lot about the board game Space Hulk.

Anyways that is premium and great fun, and something to come back to, for that extra bit of gold/loot/fun. :)

Also welcome!

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #10 Nullzone, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    As you like Space Hulk and Hunters, and if Fantasy is ok as well:
    Take a look at Demon's Rise 1 & 2 (One's currently on sale, I think). Not as open-ended as Hunters - they do have an ending and no daily stuff, but excellent games on their own. You have a metric f-ton of characters to choose from, so they have a lot of replay value. Rajpreet's Scifi tactics game Strike Team Hydra is due soon, too.
    Dereliction is another upcoming Scifi tactics game, in realtime this one.
    Then, there's of course Warhammer Quest (with part 2 coming soon), I clocked way over 100 hours on this one alone.
    And if you don't mind simple graphics, I highly recommend Tactics Maiden: One of the best tactics games on iOS imo.

Oh, and what I am currently playing, of course: Codex of Victory. It's relatively short, especially compared to something like Hunters, but I had lots of fun and challenge with it.

UPDATE: Oops, must have been really tired yesterday. Didn't notice that Leegames posted about Hunters, and not Crank :p