Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I know there at least a few musicians around here.

What music apps do you guys use?
    I've been getting a lot of use out of Pianist and Beatmaker. Every music should have those two.

I also have using ITM Matrix and ITM Midilab along with Logic.
    Cleartune has been a great tuner for me.

I recently downloaded Synthpond and it's pretty interesting. It's mostly meant to just play around with, but it has some serious functionality as well.

2. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I cannot stop using Drum Kit lol

I like Guitarist for the whammy bar/tremolo... The wah is pretty cool, but it's too unresponsive

3. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    BeatMaker is great. It was the first app I got, the only one I'd happily pay $20 for (okay, except for OmniFocus, but that's a productivity thing). I just got Noise.io, but I haven't messed with it yet.

The two that I use the most (other than BeatMaker) are PaklSound (think TenoriOn), and BtBx, which is like ReBirth for the iPhone (and, thus, awesome!).

I should mention, these are both primarily for messing with music/sounds, not for creating a song.

When it gets a little cheaper, I'll probably grab Bloom, but that's really just for playing with sounds, not a *true* musicians' app.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #4 NotYou, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
    I'm tempted to get noise.io, but I'm not sure I'll use it. I'm not much for synth sounds, though I haven't messed with synths a lot. I might get it; I'm still debating. Let me know what you think about it.

5. TouchGene

TouchGene Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Apps for Musicians: Noise.io Pro

I'm an avid user of BeatMaker, and just recently purchased Noise.io. So far it is the best synth I've tried and can definitely get some creative juices flowing if nothing else. If it were cross-compatible to BeatMaker, it would be a dream-team duo of must-have apps for budding musicians, or whatever you may call yourself. I recommend it.

6. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I use pocketguitar for those 2 minute guitar sessions, and i also have Guitar Toolkit. Its great for a quick and easy tuner that works very well. It also has a great chord library that you can strum to see if you are it playing right. Those two recommended for any guitarist.

7. i bought pocket guitar when i first got my ipod touch and i hated it. i realized it's more of a toy than something that can be put to good use. i don't mess with beat makers, synths, band, or any other kind of instrument simulation app.

instead, i use karajan to work on my musicianship and theory. it covers a good amount of areas such as pitch, intervals, even tempo. i use karajan more than any other app i've bought.

karajan ftw!

8. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #8 NotYou, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    There's apparently a rumor going around that noise.io is currently attempting to get their app to export directly to Beatpack (if you use Beatmaker you know what that is). I think that might be as good as we can expect to get, but it'd still be awesome.

I'm really considering Noise.io now. I've never been into synths, but I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

9. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    #9 Haephestos, Nov 3, 2008
    The creators of Noise.io are currently negotiating with Intua to allow that functionality! I love Noise.io and Beatmaker! They are sweet for composing and I can'twait untill they implement record functionality too.

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #10 NotYou, Nov 3, 2008
    Found this in Noise.io's forum. It's from the devs. He's talking about exporting directly Beatmaker:

"We (the Amidio team) are ready to provide such a functionality.

We've been contacting Intua sice August and finally came to a decision that this could be implemented.

It will most probably be done when we get a kind of API from Intua.

QUOTE FROM INTUA: ...we are working into ways to exchange data between the two programs via a new version of BeatPack, we will get into more details once we are set on our part.

If something won't work out, we will implement WAV export to our own server (could be several variants of that, will run a public poll then)

We just do not want to end up with users having tons of servers for different apps."

-----------------------------------------------

I'm officially getting noise.io now. That's amazing. I ever thought of using the iPhone for music creation when got it. This is goes way beyond my expectations.

If someone would make a music scoring app I'd be thrilled. I think the iPhone would be a perfect platform for it. It could even export to MIDI, like Beatmaker does.

That's one app I've been keeping my eyes open for, but so far there hasn't even been a rumor of it. Any devs out there listening to this?

11. TouchGene

Nov 2, 2008
  12. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    im not much of a musician at all but im currently loving miniSynth.

I also have Beatmaker of course, which i love.

13. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

We haven't really kept much noise about this since there's still loads of work ahead of us. But there is a musical toy thing called 'Cinnamon Beats' coming up that we're working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x03nQs_Y1cU&fmt=18

I admit, it's a freaky way of making music, but it does work. We're going after a fun factor, emergent rhythms and discovery of music through playing around.
    Official announcements and the like are still quite ways off.

Any feedback is absolutely welcome, if you can make much sense of what's happening in the video.

14. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

That's awesome. You have an insta-buy from me when it comes out.

15. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I picked up Synthpond. Kind of odd (in a good way), but having seen lots of videos of Bloom, I think this is a little more user-oriented (less random, more control over composition).

Version 2.0 is coming out soon, and there's some nice generative features added: http://apps.stfj.net/synthPond/ Definitely worth the $2.

16. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I've been using noise.io a lot today and I'm very impressed.

It's a full fledged synth for $9.99! What?!:eek:

It's better than most music programs and plugins I've tried for my Mac. It's the real thing. It's not a toned down music toy.

I just thought I'd mention that. I'm still a little stunned.

17. Haephestos

Oct 25, 2008
    I totally concur with NotYou above. Noise.io is better featured than all the synths I have used.

Noise.io ftw!

18. TouchGene

Nov 2, 2008
    That was exactly the reaction I had when I started using Noise.io (I tend to buy up all the music apps if they seem even half-decent), so I had to say something when you brought it up. Can't wait for the possibility to make a full song with Noise.io and Beatmaker, let's start a revolution here. (NoiseMaker?!?!):eek:

19. Haephestos

Oct 25, 2008
    Beat.io or BeatSynth ftw!

20. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Beatmeaker is awesome, picked that up as soon as it came out. Yet to pick up Noise.io neat, but will do soon. Cosmovox is quite interesting and a great use of tilting the device to play :) I was a bit dissapointed with Thereminator (Cosmovox does that whole thing better.)

Bloom is also fun and right up my street although not really a musician's toy.