Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-05-2014, 02:38 AM
iPad, iOS 6.x

Hi everyone!

Progress has gone really well the last week, and just thought I'd post a li'l picture of an artistic knowledge tidbit.

If you ever do art for games, one of the central tenets I've learned is to unify any elements of the art that you can. Inking style, emotional inspiration, and in this example, the color palette. Specifically light and shade color.

Whenever I add shading or lighting to objects and interface and anything in ALL OF ROGUES, I use the two circled colors. That color palette is always present, and it means that everything looks like it's shaded and lit by the same sun. Super simple, but a really valuable piece of knowledge.

Lighting everything with one color will make your game look better. Fact! (And for select times you choose to not use that color, it makes that distinction stronger and thus more useful.)

-

So that's all for now. Really happy with game progress. Hoping to maybe add some story into the game this week via speech bubbles, along with other tweaks and improvements to the game.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:13 PM
iPad, iOS 6.x

Oh man, just added speech bubbles to the game and it adds a ton of personality. I'm gonna reward myself with a break!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:00 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Take a break Randyo!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 AM

It's not letting me install the latest version..
Something about a "provisional profile has expired"...
Looks amazing though
Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM
iPad, iOS 6.x

Yah, I have a fix, but hoping to get a water texture in first. Soon.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 PM
iPad, iOS 6.x

Changes that have happened.

-Ports are now safe spaces in the game. While in a port, ships cannot shoot or be shot. This makes the game a lot less confusing, and also makes the "store" element of ports easier to deal with.

-Ships are 3d! I was deliberating how best to deal with ship variety and ships leaning and other art stuff, and 3d ships solve many problems I had. I haven't done much 3d modeling in the last several years, but I'm glad to make this decision.

-Progression and persistence. I'm starting to implement long-term persistent elements of the game. It seems all the best games take you through a journey, and that journey is often through slow accumulation of items and experiences.

-Focusing on ships. I saw the design director of Dead Space 2 talk last week, and realized that the interesting choices within my game all relate to combat. Exploration is not what makes the game fun. It's all about encountering and maneuvering with various ships on-screen. This means I might have to do some slightly deeper AI work [very scared], but I think it'll be worth it.

--

Anyway, here's a new shot of the game. It's starting to bear some surprising mechanical similarities to Dead End, so fans of that, be excited.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 PM
iPad, iOS 6.x

Gonna do some Twitch playtesting of iOS pirate game in about 15 minutes if yer interested: twitch.tv/randallion :]
Old 08-14-2014, 07:04 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Hi Randyo, Rogues lags sometimes(3 FPS)on my iPod Touch 3G 32GB that runs IOS 5.1.1! Also, how do you shoot your ship's cannons?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 AM
iPad, iOS 6.x

@sirhanet: you flick in the direction you want to fire anywhere on screen that's not the wheel or throttle.

I am also trying to keep things sped up, but I have a feeling that this game may not work on pre 4 iPods and iPhones. I have a 3rd gen iPod as well, and it struggles a lot while my iPod 5th gen is running a constant 60fps. I am going to keep working on optimizing, but I may not be able to support 3 and earlier. Hopefully will know in the next month.