Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Does it crash on ipod touch 5 or iphone 5?

2. shadowhawkx

shadowhawkx Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi im looking for a really good rpg. Im thinking about crimson gem saga, final fantasy 4, chrono trigger, something along those lines. What would u guys recommend?

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Cthulhu saves the world.

4. shadowhawkx

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey!! I didnt remember that one! Ill look into that one.

5. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #3605 Psac42, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    From a few pages back, but I really enjoyed Horn. Decent story, good gameplay. Yes, many of the missions are repetitive, but it all kinda works. Definitely one to get on a sale if you don't buy it for full price.

6. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    It's a modern setting, but The World Ends With You.

7. shadowhawkx

Aug 22, 2012
    I really want the world ends with you but I don't like that it is not universal. That sucks.:( I have another question, how good is secret of mana?

8. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, it's definitely got a Yatzee thing going on, and yeah, any time you're playing with dice rolls, luck is involved. But of course, the same goes for any typical RPG. I will say this, though, Elder Sign is quite challenging, especially the DLC campaigns. It might take some time to wrap your head around everything in the game, but once you get the hang of it you'll see there's tons of strategy. Thing is, the game is very unforgiving. Overlook any opportunity that comes your way, and it could mean the game for you. It's one of those games, though, where losing is okay, and it will happen often.

9. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    Alright guys, free shooters anyone? Dual stick, third, first, i want to know the best of the best that are free. (Saving money for IBD and RR3)

10. Siked

Siked Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Ok, £2 left on iTunes, got an iPod Touch 3rd gen.

Recommend me some games, into pretty much everything except RPGs.

Tempted to get NFS:MW but I'm not sure how it will run...

Thanks in advance.

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dungelot is free... why haven't you downloaded it yet?

Fall of Angels
    HacX is a free first person shooter that's "worth it." Also you could download the Shadow Warrior port, which includes the first four levels free.

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #3612 Andy C83, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    If you want a game which is free, has no IAP and is a blast to play then I have a recommendation for everyone with an iDevice - Critter Panic.

The game is made by one guy, he also made Silverfish/Silverfish MAX, which is one of my favourite games on any platform.

13. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Skip crimson gem saga, its broken and needs an update that will never come. If you are too young and didn't play secret of mana or chrono trigger on snes then play them ASAP as they are some of the best RPGs ever made. Chrono is arguably THE best for any system so that's a must. Ff4 is also a must play classic. now if u meant that u like those games and were looking for something similar then I'm sorry I misunderstood. In that case I'd look at final fantasy dimensions and the chaos rings series. Also Ash, but not ash 2, it's in chapters and the devs quit, haven't put out the chapters and stole our money.

14. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Been a few days... No response... Do people just not read walls-o-text in this thread? I kid, but still, no one has any thoughts?!

15. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    New RPGs to consider? Eh...Nothing specific comes to mind other than Knights of Pen & Paper. But the first two FFs are currently on sale and well worth the price. Nothing's ever going to beat FFT War of the Lions (SRPG), so if you don't have it, get it -- don't cringe at the cost, it's a damned bargain! And my personal favorite turn-based RPG currently available on iOS, FFIII (yes, I've played FFIV twice in the past, and it's not even close to being my favorite -- personal taste and all that). If you want to step slightly outside the genre but still enjoy the trappings, definitely pick up Dungeon Village (Kairosoft). It's crack in video-game form.

16. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - no introduction needed.
    Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes - really good game on the iPad.
    Heroes and Castles - just amazing! Great action rpg leveling with tower defense strategy.

17. shadowhawkx

Aug 22, 2012
    Wow thanks! Haha now wich one should i play first??:eek:

18. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    #3618 MrAlbum, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    I already have Knights of Pen & Paper on the iPhone. Is it any better on iPad? Perhaps I'll give a look-see....

I've downloaded FF's 1-4 on my iPhone, so those are fine where they are (I'm picky like that: functional on iPhone = good enough :p)

FFT WotL.... I played FFT Advance on the GBA, liked it up to a point. It quickly devolved into micromanager's HELL.... for me, at least XD

Already played Dungeon Village. Yes, it's videogame crack. Yes, I "kicked the habit". Good for quite a while, but it slogged away into GRINDGRINDGRINDGRIND *plays to tune of "Ode to Joy"*

Played BG:EE on PC. Not sure about double-dipping IMHO. DAT WIZARD.... D8

M&M: CoH sounds good. I'll give it a try!

Already have H&C on my iPhone, and it's being all-around AWESOME there ^_^ I'm sure its full glory is shown on the iPad, but, ehhh, I'll try it there when I get bored ^_^

EDIT: How could I have missed Puzzle Quest?! This MUST be corrected!

19. Legendary_Slayer

Legendary_Slayer Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm looking for an open world rpg. I already have Aralon and can't get Ravensword 2, so please don't mention them.

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Earth and Legend, Crusade of Destiny, and Xenome are third person open world RPGs similar to Aralon/Ravensword (some older). The Quest Gold is an open world first person dungeon crawler. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are on sale ($3.99) and have a turn based pixel retro jrpg with an open world environment.