Universal Ghostbusters Puzzle Fighter (by Beeline Interactive, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    This thread is for the old soft launch version.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Screenshots remind me of Marvel Puzzle Quest.

3. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Because the best way to sell Ghostbusters (a super kid-friendly property) and puzzle games is with at least 6 gigantic cartoon breasts per screenshot. Good job, idiots.

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    My thoughts as well.

5. touchy85

Jan 21, 2015
    i agree, Asian devs do this all the time, don't really understand why

6. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    #7 hellscaretaker, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    This is more a deep rooted culture thing. You look at Asian culture be it Manga, games, comics etc and you will notice a pattern. Girls that are have big eyes with big boobs or very little clothes on (check out dungeon link), its how Asian males prefer their female characters.

7. touchy85

Jan 21, 2015
    I've played if for about 5 hours. It still is a bit unbalanced, sometimes I only did 50 points of damage in a turn, other times I one-shoted the entire crew of my opponent. Free to play is not that bad and it has multiplayer.

8. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Ok, thanks! I'm gonna try it than. Be back with some impressions later, hopefully.

9. hellscaretaker

May 27, 2012
    I disagree with the balance, unless it was cause i was getting some good drops as it seemed i was always doing a lot of damage. Something the game does not tell you, you can swap in and out the bad guys so i always made sure i had the weakest one tagged in so to take them down first.

10. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Toronto isn't in Asia. :p

11. touchy85

Jan 21, 2015
    as far as I know, Capcom is Japanese

12. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Right, but this game was entirely created at the Toronto studio, like most of Beeline's games, actually. Sony is Japanese, but we don't say Uncharted is from an Asian developer.

Similarly, not brought up by you I know, Dungeon Link was made in San Jose. I think it's safe to assume that cheap sex pops can come from any country's developers.

Anyway, on your main point, I agree with you and others - Ghostbusters 1 definitely had some adult moments, but the franchise turned into something way more kid-friendly after that. The boob-shots are weird, especially on Janine Melnitz.

13. hellscaretaker

May 27, 2012
    It seems now a few people are picking up on the tone of this game all asking the similar question why have they gone down this route with the female characters.

I wouldn't be surprised you know if they change the artwork if there is strong enough feedback from fans and gamers alike.

14. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    They might, especially if Columbia Pictures starts to feel like it's hurting the brand. The game itself is kind of bland, too. I don't know, I have to feel like the only real market for this is Ghostbusters fans, and I can't imagine Ghostbusters fans are looking for T&A in their puzzle games.

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I tried the game and I wasn't impressed. I completed 20+ missions just in case I wouldn't judge the game too quickly, but I can say I've had enough of it. Overall comic style is fine despite the ever-present boobs. I don't think they're necessary to attract the bigger audience. I really like the special attacks and their animations, there's a lot of characters from both movies, everything feels great. Unfortunatelly the gameplay isn't what I expected. In comparison with Darkin or Hero Emblems this game loses significantly. The biggest problem Is you just can't strategically think ahead and plan your moves because you share the board with enemy AI, so whatever you're trying to plan for your next move, the will opponent do instead of you. I just can't find any fun in that. I don't even know any game that works this way and even if I know, I wouldn't play it just because of that. It's just strange. It might work in multiplayer against real opponent probably, but there's still not enough room to play it smart. Well, I don't even need to mention the freemium model, but it doesn't even matter, the game's not that funny to consider to throw some money into its consumable items. I'll wait for another Ghostbuster francise with hope it's gonna be better.

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Spot on impressions! I had/have high hopes for this game. I'm not a big Match-3 fan, but I love me some Ghostbusters. The game just doesn't seem fun to me. I've had fun with other Match-3 games, so it's not like I'm just not liking the game style. There's just something out it. I keep playing thinking things will pick up, but every level is the same. Maybe it's the whole turn based thing like you said. There's no planning ahead. If you try setting something up, most of the time it's shot to hell by your next move. It's pretty much just luck of the draw when it's your turn. I guess you could keep building up your cards and upgrading in order to help balance things out, but as far at when the match is going, I'm just not digging it. Oh well, this is what soft launches are for right?

17. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I'm loving this game, it's the same as Marvel Puzzle Quest but that's a good thing because that was a great game as well.
    I've pretty much played all day off and on and I have bought no IAP and i am halfway through mission 3 and passed halfway through the online challenges.
    The coins are a little harder to get hold of than Marvel PQ you might need to sell some of the characters to upgrade to the better ones other than collecting all the characters to keep the game free.

Overall this is a great game for fans of match 3 games.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    LOL, it didn't take long.. PocketGamer wrote:"Capcom will change hyper sexualised female Ghostbusters in response to player feedback". Check out the whole article.

19. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    #20 venasque, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    One of Beeline's studios is in Toronto. This game was made by an European office of Beeline.