What Apps have you downloaded from the AppStore

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by coolfrost, Jul 12, 2008.

1. coolfrost

coolfrost Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Has anyone downloaded the news apps from the AppStore?

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    AIM and NetNewsWire are the main non-games I've played with. I've been busy with other things so haven't had a great chance.

AIM is great. The background notification will be very useful when it comes later this year.

NetNewsWire (RSS Reader)... I'm not sure if it's better than their mobile version.

Will post more as I get a chance to play

arn

3. ugadawg94

ugadawg94 New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Anything Free

For the most part, I'm still getting used to the iPhone since I held out and didn't get V1. So I have spent most of my app store time on free apps, just to get a feel for some of them.

But I have my eye on a few

Starmap is one. Waiting to see if someone develops one that will show when the ISS goes over and the like.
    Weather ones, but waiting until Sept time frame when push comes to the apps, then alerts can be pushed out.

More and more apps are showing up everyday.

4. ugadawg94

ugadawg94 New Member

Jul 14, 2008
  5. ajbchampion1

ajbchampion1 New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    apps a plenty

ny times, weatherbug, mobile news ap, aim, pandora, remote, box office, ymobile, shazam, jirbobreak, light, vSnax, bible

6. Suneun

Suneun Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Epocrates and Graffitio are the two non-game programs I've installed. ePocrates is as its palm counterpart, though I think it has more features than my palm version (I don't have my iPhone on me to check). For example, it shows pics of all the pills which is excellent. I can imagine showing a patient the picture to verify that they're taking that pill (of course generics complicate matters).

Graffitio is a social program. Creates virtual walls based on location for you to write anonymous comments (like... graffiti). Requires enough people using it to make it interesting, of course. I'll give it a try, though the triangulation of the original iPhones makes locations vague. I doubt it'll work on its own, though Facebook or another popular networking site should incorporate the idea into their own program.

Anyone used a movie listing or concert listing program that works WELL and is free or cheap?

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Aurora Feint
    Tap Tap Revenge
    Scrabble: I love scrabble/ wifi multi in future update
    Texas Hold'em: 9 player wifi!
    Twinkle: location based chat + Twitter
    Facebook
    Myspace
    Aim
    Remote
    WeDict

8. mek

mek Well-Known Member

Enigmo - amazing strategy puzzle game that gets a lil complex
    band - Fun lil app, a lil disappointing as it got old fast
    Aol Radio - Enjoyable GLobal Radio Station (CBS own'd ones that is)
    Trism - Fun, Time killing Enjoyment
    Aqua Forest - Amazing Elements game
    Chopper - Love the controls, feel of the game
    Cube Runner - a nice lil time killing accelrometer game
    TapTap - like GH, but more tapish
    Airpra Feint - for a free game, its fun and worth it
    Motion X Poker - I wanted a Yahtzee game, but this one is addictive and great for small bursts of time
    Sketches - a nice sketch program, has lots of features
    Apple's Texas hold em - its a different AI than the 5th gen Ipod Texas Holdem Game, still fun
    More Cowbell - speaks for itself
    Bubble Wrap - i thought this would be an app i would delete, but sometimes you need to pop some bubblewrap after a stressful day
    Remote - took awhile to figure out, got it working on my laptop itunes and it is amazing

and a few more

9. twokidtech

twokidtech Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Pandora Radio
    Cube Runner
    Evernote
    Tap Tap Revenge
    WritingPad
    Movies.app
    iDrops
    De Blob
    NetNewsWire
    IGN.com Reviews
    Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D
    Comic Touch
    Dizzy Bee
    Remote
    Aurora Feint
    Vay

This site rocks and has introduced me to a lot of awesome apps. Keep up the good work :D

10. everyman

everyman New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    #10 everyman, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    I've downloaded a ton of Apps. The following are keepers for me. So far, anyway.

1. Pandora Radio: this is a must. period. one of the very best.
    2. Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D: hard for me, but i am getting better at
    it.
    3. Super Monkey Ball: i am better at this than Crash Bandicoot. i love them
    both for different reasons.
    4. Aurora Feint: awesome free game. really well executed and they should charge for it. it's that good.
    5. Remote: downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet, but i hear great things about it.
    6. Recordifier: great voice recorder and note taker.
    7. Omnifocus: serious organizer. extremely well done.
    8. Spend: very nice basic budget assistant.
    9. Tomatoes: great for checking out movie reviews, theatres, etc.
    10. Currency: basic utility.
    11. Light: simple utility. very useful.
    12. Shazam: a must. pure magic. hold it up to the radio and it will tell
    you what song is playing, artist, etc. fantastic. right up there with my very favorite Apps.
    13. ZIPcodes: another handy dandy utility
    14. Tipper: easy and fast tip
    15. Solitaire Top 3: love this version of solitaire.
    16. eBay: very useful.

I've spent about 70 bucks on trying out a lot of Apps so far. It's been worth it, even though I eliminate a lot of them as I go. The Apps, MAKE the iPhone. Well, they don't MAKE it, but they do add a whole new level of brilliance to it.

11. foxxxy79

foxxxy79 New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    #11 foxxxy79, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    Great App

One of my favorite apps has been Mocha VNC lite (i'll buy the full version soon). It allows me to control my Mac from the iPod Touch over WiFi.

12. Bigwig

Bigwig Member

May 30, 2008
    Super Monkey Ball
    Tap Tap Revenge
    Facebook
    Remote
    Enigmo
    Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D
    iPint

13. gorduxo

gorduxo New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    my to-dos
    net news wire
    units
    chopper
    trism
    enigmo
    monkey ball
    hold em
    aurora feint
    p. solitaire
    aquaforest
    remote
    midomi
    vnc
    facebook

14. theoria

theoria New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    #14 theoria, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
    I've dabbled a little bit in pay and free games, and also a few utilities (proving my old-schoolness I've been shopping around audio recorders) things I've liked so far:

Games:
    - Tap Tap Revenge: enough said :)
    - Bridges Puzzle: I got this to play on the subway, but I've become strangely addicted...

Utilities:
    - AIM: One of those things I didn't realize I was missing until I had it.
    - Speed Dial: Blah blah, I could use my favorites.. but why would I when I can use pictures?

Better than staring into space:
    - Zen Garden: Same people as those who made Bridges (peerium inc) ... also looks innocent enough, but is hard to put down :)

15. gravitation

gravitation New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Games:
    Monkey Ball - bought it but hated the controls
    Radius - great release by a non corp! REALLY addictive
    Aurora Feint - Amazing game and it's free!

Utilities:
    Aim - terrible chat app, wish you didn't have to wait every time you sent a message.

16. Stahl

Stahl Member

Jul 25, 2008
    College Student
    Caledonia, WI, USA
    I've spent quite a bit of money because this is what I was waiting for from Apple since the iPod Touch and iPhone came out :confused:

Games:
    - Aurora Feint: Price - Free Great game overall...
    - Chopper: Price - $7.99 I love the controls, loved this game on Mac.
    - Enigmo: Price - $9.99 challenging, not exactly what I expected, Over-hyped
    - Five Dice: Price - $3.99 a very good Yahtzee game, only thing lacking is multplayer (on one device or over WiFi
    - Texas Hold'em (Apple): Price - $4.99 Pretty good Texas Hold'em game. Never tried the WiFi though.
    - iDrops: Price - $0.99 Straight forward game, Same as Drops game that came out as a iPhone WebApps Sample.
    - Imangi: Price - $3.99 Very cool word puzzle game.
    - Moonlight Mahjong Lite: Price - Free Apparently its a demo however I think that it's full enough for me.
    - Super Monkey Ball: Price - $9.99 Another Over hyped app. Bad controls.
    - Scrabble: Price - $9.99 A very good scrabble game however no difficulty setting. The Computer uses words that humans would never use. I didn't even know half existed and I'm a college student who I'd say has a pretty vast vocabulary.
    - Sudoku (EA): Price - $7.99 I had this app for iPod Video and I thought the Port was nicely done. No complaints especially at the lower price.
    - Tap Tap Revenge: Price - Free Pretty Good, some pretty bad songs, I play without headphones.
    - Tetris: Price - $9.99 I had the Tetris app for iPod Video as well and This version is WAY Better. I recommend getting this if you like tetris. Controls are perfect.
    - Vay: Price -$4.99 A very good RPG for iPhone. I hope more RPGs come out soon!

Utilities:
    - AIM: Price - Free Works fairly well, I havn't actually used it once though other than just to test it. Push Notifications would be good once that comes out. I'd perfer something like a Meebo Chat client for iPhone, that'd be far better since AIM is not my most used chat program.
    - Facebook: Price - Free Works very well, a tad bit easier than the WebApp.
    - Myspace: Price - Free About the same as facebook however it just doesn't flow as nicely.
    - Pandora Radio: Price - Free Pretty nice music finding app. Plays music you like and some you may like.
    - Stanza: Price - Free Probably the best Free eBook program. Has many of the stand-alone eBooks that are in the appstore available free for download. You can also add your own as long as you have a mac.
    - Remote: Price - Free Use your iPhone/iPod Touch as a remote for your Computer's iTunes. Works very well.
    - Tuner: Price - $5.99 This is probably the best Radio Program for iPhone on the appstore now. It allows you to add custom pls and m3u streams so you can add your favorite local radio stations too (if streams available) I got it to listen to BBC World Service over my local NPR station and hopefully once BBC figures out to allow m3u or pls streams from them then I'll be able to listen to 24/7 BBC World Service.

If anyone has any questions about any of these apps feel free to pm me or email me or whatever.

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I love scrabble and play and I most definitely get my but handed to me on most occasions.

Instead of Quick Play try the Custom(I think that's what it is called
    you can choose a difficulty in there (easy,normal,hard) I don't know if it carries over to the quick play but I haven't noticed the difference

18. Stahl

Stahl Member

Jul 25, 2008
    College Student
    Caledonia, WI, USA

Yea I just noticed that. It'd be nice if there was a menu on the quick play as well that asked what difficulty you'd want.

19. appletjesfris

appletjesfris New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Remote, Monkey Ball, Cro-Mag rally, Comic Touch, BeatMaker.

20. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #20 hkiphone, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
    Get ready....

<deep breath> Downloaded loads
    1st page: (App name, cost, my rating, description)
    Units, free, 5/5, best free conversion app i think
    Bloomberg, free, 5/5, great replacement for Stocks
    HK Weather, free, 5/5, All the info needed for HK's weather
    Calc, free, 4/5, not the 1st party one - this has full history of calculations to review
    YouNote, free, 4/5, multi-input note taking app
    1Password, free, 4/5, password manager even better when sync'd to $40 desktop app
    Smarttime, free for limited time, 4/5, very slick Calendar & ToDo app
    EasyTaskManager, free, 4/5, GTD task organiser with free online sync/backup

2nd page:
    PanoLab, free, 3/5, stitch multi photos into panoramic view
    Wikipanion, free, 3/5, iPhone-formatted Wiki but online-only
    Epocrates Rx, free, 3/5, medicine identifier
    Facebook, free, 5/5, I seem to use this more than desktop facebook now
    Google, free, 3/5, can search both web AND iPhone contents, but not used much
    FastContacts, was free now $1.99, 3/5, easily filters for upcoming events, friends within vicinity, etc
    iFooty, free, 3/5, English Premiership news updates
    Stanza, free, 4/5, offline e-book reader
    NetNewsWire, free,3/5, RSS reader

3rd page:
    iKana, $7.99, 5/5, learning how to read, listen and write basic japanese characters
    HiKaChan Hirigana, $2.99, 4/5, suggestions for easily remembering jap characters
    HiKiChan Katagana, $2.99, 4/5, Ditto
    Lonely Planet Japanese, $9.99, 5/5, Travellers phrasebook with spoken words
    Lonely Planet Mandarin, free, 5/5, Travellers phrasebook with spoken words
    AirSharing, free now $6.99, 5/5, offline documents viewer, transfer via wifi
    Exposure, free, 3/5, view your Flickr albums, and others Flickr photos of proximity
    Remote, free, 5/5, control your iTunes via two-way remote
    Simplify, free, 5/5, remotely access your iTunes music via wifi and EDGE anywhere in the world
    Shazam, free, 5/5, song identifier by 'listening' to the music for 10secs
    Midomi, free, 4/5, song identifier by 'listening' to the music, your humming or lyrics
    FStream, free, 5/5, plays online radio very well, can input local HK stations
    FlyCast, free, 3/5, Another web radio app (Can't use Pandora in HK) :'(
    QuizTunes, free, 3/5, online quiz testing your knowledge of all kinds of music
    Locly, free, 3/5, search for xyz locally around you

4th page:
    Star Wars Force Unleashed, $9.99, 5/5, short-lived but pretty good interactive story
    Spore Origins, $9.99, 4/5, pretty good esp when 'evolving' with new features
    SuperMonkeyBall, $9.99, 5/5, its Monkeyball! Super sensitive, but good fun
    Brain Challenge, $9.99, 5/5, very polished NDS Brain Age competitor
    Enigmo, $9.99 now $1.99, 5/5, amazing particle physics puzzler
    Aqua Forest, free till Oct 12th, 4/5, another Physics-based puzzler with freestyle mode
    Trism, $2.99, 5/5, really addictive and easy to play puzzler completely uses iPhone functionality
    Moto Chaser, $0.99, 3/5, fast racer, but after a while seems abit limited
    Texas Hold Em, $4.99, 5/5, excellent poker game, plays differently in portrait and landscape modes
    Motion X Poker, $0.99, 5/5, enthralling dice motion and great game to boot
    Koi Pond, $0.99, 5/5, Water and fish simulation thats actually calming and relaxing
    Expando, $0.99, 5/5, fun and simple gameplay to expand balls to fill 70% of screen
    Hanoi Plus, $0.99, 3/5, just bought it to prove I could finish off 10 layers of stones. And I did.
    Virtual Conquest, $2.99, 4/5, Just to play RISK again, update has better AI
    My football, $1.99, 5/5, displays live data on games on practically every league, fixtures, etc
    The Classic - Human Bridge, free, 4/5, great nostalgia on the classic Game'n'Watch games

5th page:
    Galcon Lite, free, 5/5, great simple but fun RTS
    Toy Bot Diaries, free, 5/5, latest update fixed sound problem and is pretty good physics-based platformer
    Blue Skies Lite, free, 4/5, quite good fun scrolling shooter
    Puzzloop free, free, 3/5, looks and plays like Zuma, but firing method is mostly obscured by the finger
    Tap Tap Revolution, free, 5/5, DDR-like game, with good music elevates it to great status
    DizzyBee Free, free, 4/5, gravity-based game rotating the gameboard to let the bee rescue and escape
    Firedrop, free, 4/5, burn matching patterned boxes, to clear the gameboard. Excellent fun
    Colourblind, free, 2/5, interesting to see how colour blind one is, but really its more hit n miss.
    Fireworks, free, 3/5, fire off your own fireworks display
    Cannon Challenge, free, 5/5, calculate trajectory of tank shells in parabolic arc over mountains
    Othello, free, 4/5, challenging game thats simple to learn but really quite hard to win on hard
    Cubes Lite, free, 3/5, imagine Rubiks Cube but having to match colours to remove them
    EyePhone, free, 5/5, your own personal eye test, including colour blindness!
    Space Monkey, free, N/A, not even tried yet!
    iBowl, free, 4/5, Wii-like bowling
    iGolf, free, 4/5, Wii-like golf swinging

6th page (still reading this???):
    Ambiance, $0.99, 5/5, large selection of ambient noises to relax in, or fall asleep to. Actually effective.
    Relax, free now $2.99, 4/5, not as many sounds as Ambience, but has high-res visuals
    Earth3D, free, 3/5, relaxing to watch earth rotate around the sun and moon in 3D
    Mocha VNC, free, 4/5, ability to remote desktop to Mac OSX
    Mocha RDP, free, 4/5, ability to remote desktop to WinXP
    A Personal Assistant, free, 2/5, permit app to login to online accounts like banks or air miles to instantly see details. Seems to only work for HK banks, but am concerned about personal data privacy.
    Dual Level, free, 3/5, spirit level for spotting uneven surfaces
    DecibelMeter, free, 4/5, probably not accurate but fun to see how loud your neighbours are!
    CompassFree, free, 4/5, identify North correctly when the sun is out
    SpeedTest, free, 3/5, basic network data transfer test over the air
    Fring, free, N/A, not tried yet, but looking forward to setting up Skype over wifi
    Lightsaber Unleashed, free, 2/5, unleash your inner geek but still looking rather foolish
    Stone of Destiny, $0.99, 2/5, looks very pretty, but basically just "find the hidden item"

Still plenty more games and apps I wanna get, but have to budget myself! :p

That's 56 free apps and 20 paid apps! I've been keeping the HK App Store busy! :D