iPhone DroneSwarm Command - iPad Strategy game (in development)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by monoRAIL, Jun 20, 2010.

1. monoRAIL

monoRAIL Well-Known Member

#1 monoRAIL, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    I'm developing an RTS for iPad called DroneSwarm Command. It's like a cross between Flight Control and Missile Command. This game is still early in the development stages - I'm posting work-in-progress videos so you can see how iPad games are developed. I'm using the Torque Game Engine to make the game.

Here's my initial prototype (there's no audio in this video):

New background art, multi-touch controls and drone upgrades are now in the game.

And here's a look at some of the drone models:

[​IMG]

It's a base-defense style game where you have to hold off waves of attacking enemies for as long as possible. Your 3 drones specialize in air to air combat, air to ground attack, and electronic warfare, so you have to combine their skills in creative ways to fend off mixed groups of enemies (choppers, tanks, bombers, SAMs etc).

I'll update this post every week with new videos showing the progress on the game, which, if all goes well, should be available on the App Store in a few months.

2. Danillson

Danillson Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    This looks awesome. I watched all the three videos and it seems very good. I'm intersting in the expercience system...:)

3. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I love the designs of the UAVs! I see you were insoired by the YF-23 Black Widow and the A-10 Warthog

4. monoRAIL

Thanks Danillson - I'm working on the experience points and upgrades system at the moment so you should see some interesting stuff in the next video :)

5. monoRAIL

#5 monoRAIL, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Well spotted :D

The other 2 drones are also based on existing planes... I'll let you figure out which they are. :confused:

6. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    #6 h0130j03, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Well the one with the red colored cockpit looks kind of like the Su-47 Berkut, the one in the top right i can't really recognize just yet :)

EDIT: but the bottom right one also kind of looks like the Switchblade but with a narrower body, minus the forward swept variable sweep wing and forward Canards.

7. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    This looks great! I wish I had a ipad now... Any chance this may work its way to the smaller iDevices?

8. monoRAIL

h0130j03 - that switchblade is nice! I never saw that one before.

The blue drone is inspired by the Global Hawk.

Ron - if the game does well I may port it to other platforms.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm very curious to see how this turns out.

10. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009

aaaah i see it now :) was i right about the Su-47 Berkut? Oh and the Switchblade isn't around yet, but Northrop Grumman did file a patent for it. But i guess you read that already. haha do i get a prize for spotting those :p

11. monoRAIL

Video 4 - Showing experience points, special weapons and countermeasures.

Watch it on YouTube to read the text.

12. Remon

Remon Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    #12 Remon, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    Look really interesting, going to keep my eyes on this one.

13. monoRAIL

Video 5

New background art, multi-touch controls and drone upgrades are now in the game.

14. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Wow what an awesome thread. A few buddies and I are planning to try developing an iPad game next year. Haven't had a chance to go through all the videos yet (have to wait until I'm at home :D ), but looking forward to getting all the tips I can.

Plus, the game looks cool too!

15. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
  16. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Just spotted this thread and wow is this game is coming along beautifully! Superb art on the aircraft and landscape - loving the interface as well!

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I really need to check out the iPad section more often, great work!

18. monoRAIL

Hi 7cal - yes you need those 2 products to develop Torque games for iPhone. You do need a Mac too, as the Torque build process involves compiling your game from the source code with Xcode.