iPhone App Competition

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Pamx, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Saw this competition advertised aimed at new app/game developers. I guess there are worse things you could do with a promo code and $500 is, well, $500. :) The closing date for entries is April 30 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/appchallenge

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Posting this simply lowers your chances to win.

That is all :p

3. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Hmm... Good point! However, we have no plans to enter Ground Effect - thought we'd give the rest of you a chance. ;)

4. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
    Hm why not? It's a great app and I could definitely see it falling into the top 5.

5. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    When it comes to programming books (runner up prizes), I think Glenn has already collected enough over the past 25 years. :) A Great competition for less experienced developers though, & the guy behind it has written some very useful stuff.

6. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    This contest smells like spambait. I'd expect anyone entering to get sent ads for Neil's books. Even assuming it's legit, there's no indication of what types of apps Neil actually likes.

7. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Anyone else thinks this sounds dodgy??

They want an irrevocable right to publish, modify and distribute my app?!

8. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I must admit, I hadn't checked the small print. I would definitely want some sort of clarification before getting involved but I find it hard to believe that such a respected author would really resort to dodgy practices. But, having said that, you never know...:confused:

9. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
  10. PixelthisMike

Yeah that is the most likely meaning. It seems like they have put all that legal speak in to make it look official but they actually have no idea what it means :)

11. kfeltman

kfeltman New Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Hi, everyone - Thank you for your interest in the challenge and your feedback. I work for Wiley Publishing and am Neal Goldstein's editor and am part of the team running the App Challenge. The legalese you are all having a discussion about is from Wiley, not Neal. The challenge is a collaboration between Wiley and Neal to encourage newbie (and seasoned developers, if interested!) to showcase their apps – Neal’s book has given many individuals new to iPhone and iPod Touch development the confidence and ability to create apps which is why we are doing this. So back to the legalese. I understand your concerns. We would never actually take any of the apps and sell or distribute it into the App Store. The developer by nature of the rights owns the code in the app – not Wiley. The point of our legalese is to give us free and clear rights to use the apps (images of, name, title, creator) *promotionally* in our books, marketing materials, and anything we may do with Neal to promote his titles and help readers learn how to develop apps. This would include but is not limited to including the app in a book (this would be a discussion of the app, it’s features and a few images of it as an example), featuring it on flyers Neal may use while attending a conference, sharing the apps that won the contest online in a PR release, and things of this nature. It’s a good opportunity for a new developer to get some exposure actually.
    This issue also comes up with our books –authors have been concerned that the copyright would allow Wiley to take an app written for the purposes of illustrating points in a book and place it into the App Store for profit and it doesn’t. For example in Neal’s book, he has coded two complete apps that exist in the App Store. Neal submitted them, not Wiley. I encourage you all to continue the discussion, and please feel free to ask any questions you might have. I’ve asked Neal to also join the discussion.

Katie Feltman

12. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    People tens to freak out with those notices. Didn't facebook or myspace make a TOS update last year that claimed they owned photos uploaded to the site, and half the Internet freaked out, lol.

Either way, I'm intrested in this and plan to do my mac shopping this weekend. So if there is enough time I may enter. :)

Also thinking about buying one of these books now, haha.

13. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Sounds like a scam and I just entered my app. Now i find this out . What am I going to do?!?!?!?!?!

14. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Thanks for the clarification - I'm sure a lot of devs will feel reassured & will also look forward to Neal joining in the discussion.
    :)

15. PixelthisMike

Indeed it sounds like the kind of promotion that many people would happily pay for!

And thanks for the clarification on that point Katie :)

16. PixelthisMike

Case in point:

:p

17. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Thank goodness that is great. I can stop hyperventilating and sleep finally.:)

18. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
    It's really great to see this sort of thing take place; interfacing with the community is so rare, especially from someone as well renown as Wiley.

Thanks for the reassurance, Katie, not that I was entirely worried in the first place. :p

19. design219

design219 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I started reading this thread and quickly thought... WHOA people!!! But I really appreciate the clarification above. It's a little odd there are no categories, and no indication on what qualities the apps will be judged on.

But that said, I guess I'll be in! I've got one in the pot that I hope to have ready late next week that I'll enter.

20. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Unless the terms actually include what Neil's editor posted (they don't), I would be wary of submitting my app for this contest. That particular clause just gives them way more power than they need. And you grant them that license merely by submitting your entry. I suggest Wiley amend those terms to clarify. It's ridiculous that devs have to take it on faith that they won't be screwed over at some point in the future. A clarification posted on a separate forum doesn't have much legal weight.