Universal Spaceward Ho! (4x Strategy by Ariton Games/Delta Tao)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jaklar, Apr 2, 2012.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #21 crunc, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    I just bought another $50 gift card from walmart.com (for $40), so I guess I'm buying this. :) Done. I'm looking forward to trying this out tonight! Hopefully I remember well enough how to play. It has been years. I did read a bit of the guide on the web, so hopefully that's enough to get started.

2. cesarlin

cesarlin Member

Oct 20, 2010
    OMG I've been Waiting for this ever since iPhone came out, is ther going to be a graphic update, cos the graphic seems extremly outdated.

3. geb

geb Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Totally floored this came out! Classic game!

4. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    Need the iPhone version. I also had it on my old palm devices.

5. christophercotton

christophercotton Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    We can look at it, we weren't sure whether people really wanted to name it, or since we are adding game center support whether they would just use their Game Center name.

Coming in update soon.

Coming in a much later update as we are working on GameCenter support, the iPhone version. It is definitely on our list to make sure to do.

We are working on it. To do the iPhone version requires very different screens than the iPad version, and we love playing the game on the big screen so we did it first. We will make it universal so you don't have to buy it again.

Check to see if you have the "Turn auto play off when something interesting happens" Since you probably discovered some new technology, or a new planet, or a battle or something. If you turn it off and turn down the speed, you can just have it play an entire game for you. Actually quite fun to watch.

6. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, we will probably do a "different tile set" where you can choose which graphic set you want, since there are some people who really love the original graphics.

7. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Palm Version

Excellent. We wrote the Palm version too, and yes, we are working on the iPhone version right now. Just will take us a bit longer. The game will be universal when it comes out.

8. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Which features are you waiting for? And yes, we are actively working on updates and will continue to update it based on the feedback we get (in forums like these).

9. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Hi,
    thanks for your answers. I know your old Palm Version. It was great and really very playable ... even on my slow Tungston with 33 MHz ... :)

Missings features:

1. As I wrote, the history graph ... it is just for information, ok, but nevertheless.

2. More important: The player compare graph: I used it very often because you can overthink and adjust your own tactics if you can see where you are in front and in which technology you are behind the other players.

3. It is nice to give yourself a custom name ... I did that with several names and after a few games the AI players took themself also these names ... :D

I am really looking forward to the next updates ... I love this game since version 2.05 for Windows 95 ... :)

Best Regards,
    Mythbuster

10. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Are you talking about # of games played, # won/lost? Or something else? You do get "Master Points" as you win games, and we keep track of that. Though we are adding in some more record keeping when we finish the GameCenter support.

If you have other things you are thinking of with player stats, let me know and we will see what we can work in.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Color me very happy. :D

Be sure to let us know if you need any help beta testing...

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm waiting for the stuff other people said was missing. It's been so long since I played that I wouldn't recall what was missing myself, but since they said it was missing, I want it. LOL. :)

I played a little last night. The game really is bare bones graphically, which is just its age showing. It would nice to see upgraded graphics and animations as an option. Like seeing ships fly to the planets instead of just lines getting shorter.

13. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well, new graphic features are nice ... but ... for "old school fans" like me ... if new graphics, please an option to switch between "classic" and "new" graphic set ... :)

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    That's why I said option. :) I like it old school, but would like the option of upgraded graphics/animation too.

Also, while I was playing my 9 and 11 year old boys were watching and at least the 11 year old wants to try it. :)

15. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    OK, so we do agree 100%! :)

16. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Glad to hear you're working on a universal version. Do you have any timeframe for which it might be ready?

17. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Update 1.01 with Retina graphics is out! :D

18. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Retina Support

Hey All, the 1.0.1 version with Retina Support is live. If you have purchased it, just go do the update and you will get it. Otherwise you can go buy it from the iTunes store.

19. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    No specific timeframe, but our main focus is GameCenter support and the Universal support.

20. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes! I was just trying to post the update message, but my network was flakey. The update is out and on the iPad3 it really does look great. And starts to point out that some of the graphics are still a little blocky. We are working on doing a second (maybe 3rd?) tile set of graphics. and then also trying to redo the original a little to make them look better.

But definitely go get the update, and don't forget to go write another review for the app (since they get reset).