App Store thoughts.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mene, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi.

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting tired of buying £5-6-7-10 games and finding out within 2-3 mins they are crap or too complex.

In the last month alone I've wasted (yes, wasted) a lot on games I have now deleted like: KotoR, Eclipse, Le Havre, Sim City, Warhammer quest, King of Dragon Pass etc etc.

Its simply dead money now.

I'm not asking for refunds on all the games I delete, no that would be stupid.
    But.. I would like a 'cooling off' time period, lets say five minutes.

If you buy an app or game and delete it within five minutes, you are not charged!

I don't think it will be abused, speaking for myself I think it would actually encourage me to buy more as I wouldn't have the 'hmm.. is it worth it?' Worry.

I don't think there's a chance in hell of it being added but I do think it would be a great idea.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #2 psj3809, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Of course we all have different tastes but i cant believe you seem 'fed up' with KOTOR or Warhammer for example

The 'cooling off' period isnt bad for testing out 99c type games, throwaway type games but you cant just have 5 minutes to see if you like KOTOR or Warhammer (or Baldurs Gate) etc

Impossible to get a decent opinion in those 5 minutes for larger games, small runner style games/platformers etc its a good idea but not huge epic RPG's.

Why dont you simply wait ?

The forums great to see if a game goes down well with people or users you might have similar tastes to. I check a few iOS sites for reviews/youtube reviews etc. I'm not super rich so i wont instantly dive in to a $10 game without doing some 'homework'.

Plus theres many games which i think at first 'yuck, why did i buy this', come back to it a week later and realise what an amazing game it is and why everyones raving about it.

Not saying theyre super expensive but if you are thinking about a $10 game and 'is it worth it' then surely just wait for opinions/reviews/videos etc ? If you rush in instantly without checking then think you only have yourself to blame. If you've wasted in your view that money then again surely that tells you to wait to hear about future games.

3. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I guess so, perhaps you're right about huge games but still, I do think it would be a good idea.

As for KotoR, I got totally stuck on Taris duelling, I simply could not get even 30% health off Marl, even when I was level 7.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Those are some well regarded classic games you regret buying, Mene. It might be you want to give them some more time to sink in. One thing that helps me decide on purchases it to look up gameplay videos. There are also a few websites or forum members that I know have similar taste in gaming that I do so give more weight to their recommendations.

I've been burned a few times spending more than I should on a game that ends up lukewarm. However, if I give it some thought often I get a reasonable value per dollar. For example, I deleted Warhammer Quest (like you I was disappointed) but not until I had spent 10+ hours on it (at 2 hours per dollar that's a good value in my opinion).

In part, having grown up trying to blow the dust out of NES cartridges to see if they will load better, I am a "physical media person". It takes some getting use to the App Store's disposable game marketplace. I'm use to spending $30+ on a game and being stuck with it, trying to milk all the enjoyment I can out of it, and it still feels odd downloading a game for under $5 playing around with it then deleting it to find another. Part of me wishes I had some oversized box with cool cover art to add to my perception the game should be some sort of permanent fixture in my collection.

A 5 minute free access period would be interesting but there are probably technology limits to that (I'm not sure if App Store could detect if you've deleted an App within 5 minutes; even if it could I don't want Apple to use that kind of access to my iDevice). Apple is watching us.

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Maybe you need to just find another gamer with similar tastes to yours and buy those games he enjoys. I noticed, you listed a few games as your sig, so start comparing sigs and see what thatbother guy likes...

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Or maybe, you should just stick to a more casual experience. There's still tons of good stuff that are pretty casual. Seems to me the more indepth ones dont appeal to you.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ok... Sorry, but i just find that funny. I was playing on hard mode, and proper preparation and a bit of luck got me through.

Were you playing in hard mode?

Also, i hope you realize you can just skip some missions including the tournament and get on with the story. There's still tons of places to get stuff and money from.

8. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

You should probably just research the more expensive games before you buy. Changing the entire app store for YOU seems pretty silly.
    Not to be rude, but really, have a little initiative and take responsibility for your own choices (thus, forcing you to make BETTER choices).
    Also:
    Buyer Beware.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Your problem is you don't know yourself well enough. How do you ever expect to buy a house?

10. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Just the 2 cents from a dev standpoint -

Google play actually does this already, with I believe a 30 minute refund window. The problem it creates is actually one where people will download your paid game and then sideload the apk, then get the refund. The apk then gets placed on a number of Free APK sites, etc., and makes the rounds for piracy.

It's certainly a friendly method when it comes to consumer testing and experimentation, but it can be viewed by devs who still believe piracy is completely congruent to lost sales (read: most publishers) as the chance for lower sales, revenue, and profits.

With regards to the games you're talking about, I've found all of them to be high quality, deep gaming experiences. It sounds less like you're in need of a refund period and more that you just need to take a look at the games you've enjoyed playing in the past and purchase games with similar features and depth.

Everyone's got their preferences. I'd recommend taking a few minutes to list out all the games you've ever loved or had great experiences with, and then maybe posting that list here and seeing what the rest of the forums suggests.

11. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    #11 Mene, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    I'm 51 and have never bought a house, heck the most money I've ever had in my bank in my life was £750 so a house is a 'lottery win' away. Haha

Tbh I thought my idea was a valid one, reading the devs input, I didnt realise about the piracy thing, stealing is not something I do so I have no experience of such but indeed I see your point and I'd never want to do something to encourage stealing or make it easier.

As for listing games I've paid for and love, sure, here's a few off the top of my head:-

Game dev story
    GP story
    Ascendancy
    Distant star
    9th dawn
    Quest lord
    Dungeon plunder
    Basteon
    Bards tale
    Uplink
    Phantom leader

I also think that 'do your research' doesn't really work most of the time. Some games, you can read forums for days and watch videos all day on youtube but until you actually play it, you don't know if you'll like it.

Several examples of that, especially Eclipse and King of dragon pass. I spent days reading about them on forums and watching youtube videos, only when I bought them and spent a few hours playing did I realise they were beyind me and a total waste of money. You can't always tell.

12. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Based on your list:

Kairosoft games (you liked Game Dev Story & Grand Prix Story)

Hack Run Zero, Hack Run, and Hack Time (since you liked Uplink)

Alien Frontiers (since you liked Phantom Leader)

13. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I assume you know about the Google Play store policy.

Food for thought: I often make purchases on my PC because of the huge filesizes of a lot of newer apps. What would be your suggested solution for refunds on apps not made through the wifi store?

If you DID just install it and have a history with apple, it shouldn't be difficult getting a refund. I bought a game several weeks ago that had advertisement banners despite being a paid app (with no dosclosure of the ads in the description).

I quit the app after a few minutes and contacted Apple. Refund + 3 free movie rentals immediately.

14. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I saw some of them are RPG, maybe Dungeon Village (from Kairosoft), Battleheart, or 10000000 are suggestion.

15. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't be fooled by its looks as Dungeon Village ain't no RPG. It is a village simulator. I played that for hours before I realised the player character was actually the village and the adventurers were just lemmings...

16. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I think that you don't know what kinds of game that you like, so you often feel waste of time while playing other kinds.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    First of all, I'd advice you to visit the forum of the games that you're interested in and ask specific questions, like "is the game too complex or easily accessible" and whatever you prefer.

Second, based on your list, I'd advice you to try out the following games or check these forum threads:

- Towel Fight 2
    - Quadropus Rampage
    - Wazhack (maybe)
    - Dungeon Village (and other Kairo Soft games, like mentioned before)
    - Bit Dungeon
    - Cavern
    - Starbase Orion
    - Nameless: The Hacker's RPG

18. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    There's never any use trying to follow after advice and suggestions. Especially when following them in the past never led you to finding anything you like. If following the crowd never worked, maybe go look at games that don't get so much attention?

19. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    In defense of video's (if done right) and researching are one of the best tools to decide on purchasing a game. Maybe some players do need the game in their hands to decide if they can't get the insight beforehand. But if I were to buy a car I'd research and hopefully test drive. Not buy it right off the lot only to regret it later.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You mention 9th Dawn (which is a great great game), i love non-linear RPG's. I was hooked on Aralon for a long time as similar to 9th Dawn that had lots of side quests, was non-linear but also had a major main storyline as well.

Aralon (And Ravensword 1 and 2) are brilliant games, you should like those if you liked 9th Dawn. Graphics are much better but obviously it comes down to gameplay and all of those games have great gameplay