★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So, THIS might REALLY be why Apple bought Beats.

06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Deuce View Post
Well, Forbes magazine is not known for rumors. If they said it, they believe it to be true.
When it comes to Apple, Forbes gets it wrong on a regular basis, unfortunately.
06-06-2014, 09:46 PM
#12
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
When it comes to Apple, Forbes gets it wrong on a regular basis, unfortunately.

Well, how about this report?

In a potentially controversial move, the company wants to get rid of the traditional 3.5mm headphone jack that connects essentially all types of headphones to all types of smartphones and replace it with something better.

During a WWDC briefing session this week, Apple revealed its plans for a new standard that would use the company's own Lightning Connector port to plug a set of headphones into a smartphone or tablet.

The logic behind the decision, outlined by Apple's manager of platform accessories Robert Walsh, is to bring more functionality and performance to headphones. The Lightning Connector can be used to power as well as connect devices for example, so headphones could have controls, like volume or nose cancellation features, but wouldn't need their own batteries to power the features.
06-06-2014, 11:10 PM
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Deuce View Post
Well, how about this report?

In a potentially controversial move, the company wants to get rid of the traditional 3.5mm headphone jack that connects essentially all types of headphones to all types of smartphones and replace it with something better.

During a WWDC briefing session this week, Apple revealed its plans for a new standard that would use the company's own Lightning Connector port to plug a set of headphones into a smartphone or tablet.

The logic behind the decision, outlined by Apple's manager of platform accessories Robert Walsh, is to bring more functionality and performance to headphones. The Lightning Connector can be used to power as well as connect devices for example, so headphones could have controls, like volume or nose cancellation features, but wouldn't need their own batteries to power the features.
I know there's talk about Apple being more "open" these days, but it's unheard of for the company to tip its hand about major changes like that -- and especially coming from a manager and not from upper management. WWDC briefing sessions are not open to reporters and, as I understand it, are covered by NDA. So this "scoop" came to Forbes second hand. I am dubious.
06-06-2014, 11:44 PM
#14
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 5,506
There is no way they're getting rid of the jack entirely. No way.

I would believe that they might change their proprietary headphones to use the lightning connector, or even wireless, but to get rid of the universal standard jack for good? No.



Need proofreading, editing or writing done for your game?
Contact me via PM or email and we can talk.
06-07-2014, 10:07 AM
#15
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I know there's talk about Apple being more "open" these days, but it's unheard of for the company to tip its hand about major changes like that -- and especially coming from a manager and not from upper management. WWDC briefing sessions are not open to reporters and, as I understand it, are covered by NDA. So this "scoop" came to Forbes second hand. I am dubious.

Then don't you think that manager would have said that he didn't say that? I have looked for reports online and can't find any. In fact NO stories disputing by Apple. Apple lies like everybody lies in business..... so they could deny it and still do it.