Please help me price my upcoming game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mike@fsa-games, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Hello,

I've just released a trailer of my first game for iOS devices: 'The Twin Horizon'.

The game is in beta stage now and I expect to submit it to the App Store within 6 weeks. Since I've invested a few dollars and about 1000 hours of my work in it, I'would like to sell it rather than give it for free.

I have absolutely no experience in selling games and wouldn't like to set the price to hight, so I would like to ask You, dear community, to help me price my game.

In general, it is a RPG game embedded in a fantasy world, it has 3 locations + one smaller for tutorial. The gameplay is about 3-4 hours.
    It is an universal app (from iPhone 4 or iPad 3 and above).
    It's 3D with 3-rd person perspective, it has quite detailed models.

You can watch the trailer on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQSAsloajDQ

I'm the only developer of this game so I can answer any question about it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Michal.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Its not so much about how much the game itself is worth, but rather what price you will set so you will make the most money out of it.

You should also make the player animations a bit better...

3. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    I too felt that The player animations were lacking compared to the rest... Other refinement and polish can be done in updates if you have the time and sales to support it but player animations are always in view to the player and cannot be lacking at launch.

I would stay in the $2-$3 dollar range based on your trailer.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'd say $.99 is the right price for this.

5. I'd say (due to the length of the game) $2

6. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

It certainly has potential, I'd set it at $0.99.

7. Without great 3d graphics, think 99 cents to gain a good following at first is important.

8. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    99c should be the price and I'll explain why. iPhone game customers are easily deterred by a price higher than 99. A game that cost more than a buck is looked at, searched, scrutinized and looked over before purchase. A 99 game however is an easy impulse buy regardless of quality or reputation for a lot of buyers. They might just see the word "rpg" and say meh why not. From there, if the game gets even a few good reviews it can take off like a brushfire.

An unknown dev needs a STELLAR trailer to charge a lot for their game. 99 will make your game an easy pickup and from there it can take off if people like it. It's silly to think that a measly 2 bucks could deter someone, but it's mainly psychological and it's the truth.

Make it 99c, or at least say "99c sale for the month!" Or something catchy like that if u insist on 2 bucks down the road.

9. Legendary_Slayer

Legendary_Slayer Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Maybe a $.99 release sale for say the first week, and then up it to $2-3 or something like that.

10. neilw711

neilw711 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    App Developer
    Virginia, USA
    This looks like a really fun game and I'm not too big on RPG games :p
    Try setting it to .99 first as an opening launch then 1.99 later after a few weeks or a month. If you state that the game will go back to its original price in a few weeks, people will buy it right away. I've got sucked into that scheme plenty of times lol

Also, the graphics look great but you need to fix the animations. When enemies were slicing the player with a sword, I didn't see any movements from both sides.

11. Hello everyone,
    thank you for comprehensive answers.

My target was $2-$3 (2 rather) but now I can see, that the quality is to low for that.
    I think I'll release it at $0.99 and try to raise the price after couple of weeks if the game will catch some players.

Again, thanks for your time.

Michal.