Advance Wars Iphone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JMitnik, Feb 25, 2010.

1. JMitnik

JMitnik Active Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Hey guys,

is there any kind of game which is identical to Advance Wars for the DS? Like multiplayer on 1 Iphone device? I was considering Rogue Planet, but it only has multiplayer for Iphone's more than 1. So... is there anything like what I described?

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

As of now, the only one I can think of that supports multiplayer on the same device is Transformers G1 (just released overnight)... and if you're not a fan of transformers there's nothing to fall back on.

At this point I don't think any game on the iPhone has captured the feel and spirit of Advance Wars. I've played UniWar, Mecho Wars, and Rogue Planet- all of which had some potential, but dropped the ball in one manner or another (I didn't mention Battle for Wesnoth here, have that as well, but it's a whole different league... not attempting to be an AW clone).

Later this spring (or early summer) my third iPhone game release will be much like Advance Wars as played on the GBA and DS, including the multiplayer "pass and play" on the same device. I've only got a rough outline and handful of spritework done so far because my second game is monopolizing my budget and programming time!

Expect to see details for this game start to emerge soon after the release of Secret Project #1 :D

3. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    What about War3100 ( www.war3100.com )? IIRC, the developer of this game used to be on the boards here. Not sure if it has pass-n-play though.

4. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    UniWar has multiplayer on the same device!:D

5. Luc Bernard

Luc Bernard Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    There is actually same device multiplayer on Mecho Wars :) I know since I did the game

6. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    ugh, i wish nintendo would expand their franchise to iphone, i mean it couldnt hurt porting gba games to the iphone right?

7. grelb

grelb Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    New Zealand
    Advanced Wars style TBSs

Ok - i've been doing a bit of research on Advance Wars type games.

There are a few threads on the same topic
    (Cross posted this in each of these)

46397 (this one)

From what I can gather there are quite a few games
    (Prices are in NZ dollars - so drop them a bit for $US)

Uniwar $1.29
    Mecho wars $1.29
    Rogue Planet $6.49
    Battle for Wesnoth $5.30
    Battle Academy iPad only. $24.99
    War of eustrath ipad only. $4.19 ($6.49 iPad)
    Great little war game $2.99
    Armament 2028 $2.59
    War3100 0.99c
    Transformers G1 Awakening $1.29
    War Generation not available in New Zealand store?!
    Agile Forces - in development

I'm sure there are more. reply with any others and I'll update this post.

I havent tried them all, but:
    Mecho Wars was good and pretty straight forward, but does not have many features or unit types.
    Uniwars seems to be very impressive, smooth and it has lots of modes. 3 races and online rankings.
    I was not very happy with War 3100. It seemed unintuitive and hard to control. But I gave up playing that after the 4th mission.
    I can't comment too much on the others, I've only tried a few of them.
    Anyone care to rate these with respect to each other?

Cheers
    Simon

8. Flan

Flan Member

May 25, 2012
    Battle for Wesnoth has an absurd amount of content and has some very challenging game play. I didn't get too deep into it but I enjoyed it, the interface is a little clunky though. The other downside is the app hasnt been updated to the same version as the computer one so there isnt cross console multiplayer anymore. If you're looking for a game to spend hours on and get tons of content this is definitely a good one to look into.

9. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Like people have said; UniWar is really close.