C.0.ntact scifi rpg (WIP)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Zdgames, Apr 2, 2013.

1. #1 Zdgames, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    Hey everyone at t.a. My name is zack and I have been surprised at the lack of good sci-fi RPGs on the AppStore and in general across the market... So I decided to put my coding knowledge to use and started with this project... Contact is a sci-fi fps rpg(wow what an acronym mouth @$&/) the story will revolve around mark kilmath... A fourth generation colonist and a member of the 412 marine division... In this game humanity has found a way to harness the dark matter that is space and use it to create warp fields so they have sent colonial ships to every nearby solar system... This ship was sent to the Triangulum galaxy and come across a derelict ship only operated by an unknown ai the ai invades kilmaths mind and unlocks a portion of his brain that we never use this allows him to communicate with the aliens and the only hope of avoiding a first contact war that would have devastating repercussions to all raves involved... Let me know what you think... All comments are welcomed and I appreciate all advise... And yes I know my spelling is awful :( lol

Here's a quick little video I threw together...

2. osorio

osorio Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Woooa is this real??
    If it is, it looks awesome

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Video looks impressive, i would get a friend/colleague to spell check a future release though as it'll be a shame if those great graphics were let down by typos etc

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Looks neat, I can never have to many FPS RPGs. Is it still in alpha? What would be the estimated release date, if you want to put it tell us.

5. invulse

invulse Well-Known Member

This would be impressive if you had created the assets for this game yourself. This appears to be using a sci-fi modular construction kit available on the asset store, and one of the enemies is the mine bot from the Angry Bots demo which comes with Unity3d (make sure you remove this before you ship, as those assets are not usable for commercial products.)

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    Embedding video...
    It's not uncommon for early development builds to have temporary art placeholders for eventual graphics to be developed later. I'm feeling optimistic and am going to assume that's the case here but sometimes it's hard to tell how seriously to take early pre-release projects.
    I agree that App Store needs more Sci-Fi RPGs but most first person shooter (semi) role playing games on iOS are sci-fi based (Mission Europa, Star Warefare: Black Dawn, N.O.V.A.s, Infinity Project, Doom RPG, etc etc). I would be more curious to see a science fiction turn based japanese style role playing game.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^That.

This looks good though.

8. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    Amazing graphics if it all translates properly to my iPhone. Also looks very creative! Can we get some more information such as yourself and your development team? Also some information on whether or not this is Pre-Alpha footage and the games development state.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Whoa. How long has this been in development?

10. #10 Zdgames, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    I've been developing for about three months and as for the art a lot of what you are seeing is placeholders i am all alone in the coding and development part so it is just there for now... Touch controls have yet to be implemented but I have a plug in for that in unity so it should be quick... Sorry about the spelling I know but I put that up after about 2 mins of work...I'm glad there are others that want a game like this I put a good four hours into it everyday... I've completely reworked the camera and added 3 new weapons an smg a revolver and a pistol also follower system is complete... I will have a video up in the next couple of days...

11. #11 Zdgames, Apr 3, 2013
    This is a three man team, I do the coding and 3d modeling, Phil is working on a quest system and Jon is on music duty... We are all working on the story would you all like to here some of the music I have a demo cd Jon's good at techno and dub step...

12. #12 Zdgames, Apr 3, 2013
    Sorry I don't really want to put a release date(we all saw what happened to the shadow sun by Ossian... No thank you lol) but I will say everything is done and coded were just building and modeling now...

13. comicx90

comicx90 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    This is great! Everything looks neat

14. #14 Zdgames, Apr 3, 2013
    Those are place holders the others like the alien girl and the brutes and the alien guy however will stay... Sorry should have clarified that... And yes it is a construction kit that we purchased but this is only the alpha so almost everything will be replaced... the kit may stay as it pretty badass looking and will only be about 1/50th of the game as it is only on the derelict ship...

15. Thx:)

16. #16 Zdgames, Apr 3, 2013
    I feel dumb but how did u embed the video... Lol also do you all want development videos or just a weekly trailer? And I'll be speaking so there will be no typos ;( lol also it will not be all fps though I do like the immersion it adds there is also a space sim like mode (like in gof 2) when traveling from planet to planet... I might add a tps mode but we will see...

17. hey all Jon made me put up some of his music he is really excited to see how you like it... Phil also said he would come later when he wasn't busy to talk about the quests and direction of the story and how the story will be delivered in-game...
    the music is here...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VlJAA8kCI&feature=youtu.be

18. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #18 ThreeCubes, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    I think thats its great that you want to make a mass effect style game but i feel like you really need to scale back what your planning. Anybody can just slap some cheap assets into unity in a few hours but turning that into an actual game is a massive undertaking. From your video it looks like your going to get a massive shock when you actually start to try and run it on an iPhone. your not going to be able to use bump maps and real lights and render thousands of blades of grass.

If i was you just focus on a smaller game first make it a prologue or episode 1 get some high quality assets made. dozens of worlds and 16 different ending is just not going to happen. the longer they game it is the time in testing it raises exponentially.

focus on just the ship to start, there is no shame in using that scifi ship pack of the appstore. get the gameplay right for a short two hour game and release it and see how well i does.

Sorry in advance for being "That Guy".

it would be a real shame for you to spend years making a mass effect game that is never released.

19. #19 Zdgames, Apr 3, 2013
    Don't be... Like I said we Are welcoming all advice and thank you for the input and yes. We do know it will tack a crapton of work the drawl call is a good 120 over what it needs to be to opperated in an iOS game... I played around with it last week and got it into the operational limits of an iPhone 4(it is a mobile construction kit after all)... As for making a shorter game well that's not our style we didn't come here to get swept under the rug... As for just slapping down assetes onto a terrain you don't have to worry about that my team and I have been working on the first planet for well over 2 week now...everything is lovingly placed and rotated and we are spending a lot of time on the worlds and there design...we are not trying to duplicate mass effect rather we are making an rpg that has some bioware like features we do not want to be gameloft 1.5... If you look at it I said I had been develouping this game for 3 months well that's only half true seeing as a lot of the things in this game come from previous trials in the unity engine over the past two years... We really do appresiate your concern and will take your advise to heart, but we kindly ask that you give us a chance we are putting a lot of time love and money into making this a game we want to play on ios...

20. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Well I wish you the best of luck. hope to see some more screen shots soon.