New game, I want your input!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by THEDeliriumTrigger, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Game Features??

1. On Screen D-Pad

18 vote(s)
    38.3%
  2. Local WiFi Multiplayer

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  3. Autosave

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  4. Pickup and Play

36 vote(s)
    76.6%
  5. Nice and Long

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #1 THEDeliriumTrigger, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    Hey, in my other thread, i was asking for anyone who would want to join me in making an app. Well im getting things going, and now i want to know: what features do you want? This will be a stickfighting game, so keep that in mind. Other than that, post what you would want! Ill include a poll of features already requested often, but feel free to post too! Vote for any and all you would like!

2. Altrez

Altrez Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    IT
    Kentucky
    Hey :) I sent you a PM. I am working on a Stick Fighter as well. I have started coding the main menu and controls already. I also have some great things planned.

-Altrez

3. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Awesome, sounds like a good start! Anyone else have input?

4. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I'm also a rapper, and I make beats, so if you want original music or a soundtrack, I'm game

Checkout www.myspace.com/ktfright:cool:

5. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Dude, email me! Why did you not mention this, jeez! Awesome work!

6. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I like the music. Is your stuff on iTunes? If not, could you send me some of that? It is great :D.

7. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    So i see people arent really voting for the d-pad feature, why is that so? Any other control suggestions?

And just for the purposes of explaining myself, i was thinking maybe having the controls similar to Super Smash Brothers? Just a thought.

8. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    D Pad takes up the screen.. People hated it on Crystal Defenders.

9. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Is this stick figure fighting? It would be cool if you did this using 3D models and ragdolls but still did the fighting in one screen in 2D. With the right art it could look cartoon shaded. If you want to check out a ragdoll example go to http://www.potatocows.com/ - he did it with the Unity3D engine for iPhone.

- Matt

10. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Rather than D-Pad, make it similar to ragdoll kungfu (from steam)
    Use your finger to drag the person's fists and feet towards the opponent to perform attacks

11. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I thought a dpad would work. I mean I like this ragdoll Kung fu, but I want that ol' school fightin'.

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    A d-pad needs to be done correctly otherwise it can turn people away from the game.

For example. The only reason I have not bought Crystal Defenders is because of the enormous ugly dpad at the bottom.

If you plan on using one, I suggest making it more like a joystick like Hero of Sparta. That one is very nice looking as well :)

13. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    I like the joystick idea, but i was thinkin a dpad like real soccer 09, very out of the way.

14. Have the D-Pad be an alpha-blend overlay that gets progressively lighter (ie; it fades away). The player can learn where to tap and not need to see the D-Pad. As always, have a setting that always enables or disables the display of the D-Pad. Once the player knows where the control is, no reason to have it on the screen.

15. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Thats a good idea! And do you really? Am i missing something, or did i just not see it?

16. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    #16 ktfright, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    That seems like a good idea, but I kinda need to see how that looks.

When u have the time, see this stick movie made in flash. It on YouTube. Just type in "ghost fight". It is literally the best stick movie ever!!! It might give us some ideas.

17. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The reason I posted that Ragdoll Kungfu video was because I think the controls could be translated well to the iPhone.

I think all good games developed on the iphone should use its unique hardware properties such as accelerometer, multitouch, and swiping.

For example, Rolando could have had a dpad, and a separate button to jump. Instead, it uses the accelerometer to move, and to jump, you can swipe up, from anywhere on the screen. Why should there be a button to jump, if it makes it a lot easier to swipe from any point?

Consider if someone made a Super Mario Bros port. They could mock up a NES controller on-screen. A smarter developer would take advantage of the iPhone and use controls similar to Rolando.

Need to think out of the box! Perhaps we could tap the areas of the opponents body to strike at that particular point?

18. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    I actually have come up with another method that will probably stick, and uses buttons, touch, and accelerometer, but is very simple. Thanks though! You got me thinking, and it paid off!

19. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Also, check out the controls for dropship! A dpad appears from any position

20. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    This is a great thread. A have a question for you guys... can you talk a little about how important local wifi multiplayer is to you? Do you have friends and family that also have iphones or ipod touches... where you meet in the same place to play?

I'm just skeptical about how much this feature would be used... Remember, I'm not talking about online play here... but just local wifi multiplayer.

Thanks.