★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

02-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
Yep, I would join the odd playalong too. I didn't do all of them, but I did a few and I really enjoyed reading about other people's adventures. Shame about Icewind Dale!

As for favourite RPGs on iOS, I'm in agreement with most of you guys. Final Fantasy Tactics was a revelation - so glad I finally played it towards the end of last year. I'd now rank it up there with my all-time favourites on any platform. DQVIII is still the only DQ I've played so far (though I'll start DQIV some time this spring), but I loved the port. Thought it worked brilliantly in portrait mode, and had just two crashes despite the fact I played it when I was still on a 4S. FFIX is the best iOS port in the series, and also one of the best in the series anyway. And I'll throw out a shout for Ys - good gameplay, even better music and some of the best boss battles in ARPGs.

My all-time favourite is still The World Ends With You, though. Good art, decent story, superb music, and unique, brilliant gameplay.
Grab DQVI! You will love it! I am on DQVII in Japan and it's my favorite of them all on mobile but VI you can't go wrong it's very good!
02-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHess00 View Post
I miss the play-a-longs too. I think Shaun just doesnít have the time now that he is spending more time writing his book. Iím all for someone else taking over for him.
This, more or less. If someone else wants to keep it going, I'm all for it. I can even make a short news post for the front page sending people here. I can't join anymore though as I am very busy with my book.

02-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
This, more or less. If someone else wants to keep it going, I'm all for it. I can even make a short news post for the front page sending people here. I can't join anymore though as I am very busy with my book.
Any news on when the book releases? Not expecting an exact date just an idea and a little something about it
I know you have one buyer right here!
02-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailon80 View Post
Grab DQVI! You will love it! I am on DQVII in Japan and it's my favorite of them all on mobile but VI you can't go wrong it's very good!
I've actually got DQIV, V and VI - I'm intending to play them in order this year! I've decided 2018 is going to be the year of (mostly) backlog on iOS. Still working through Layton's Mystery Journey at the moment, which is adorable, but it'll probably be DQIV after that. I'm in the mood!

2018 GOTY nominations: You're joking, right? I'm still playing games I got in 2015...
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
02-15-2018, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
Best of luck on that then. We will all look forward to reading it.
02-16-2018, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Traveler View Post
Best of luck on that then. We will all look forward to reading it.
Definitely!
02-16-2018, 10:19 AM
Last couple days I have spent on going back to my save on FF Dimensions
I am now 20 hours 27 mins into it and just got the Ranger job and starting a new chapter
I like going for the F Abilities so I have been spending time on that lately
02-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Last couple days I have spent on going back to my save on FF Dimensions
I am now 20 hours 27 mins into it and just got the Ranger job and starting a new chapter
I like going for the F Abilities so I have been spending time on that lately
I need to play that one more. Honestly though, I really have enjoyed my time with FFD2. So weird since I normally would rather explore a world map. But of course, Iím still taking my sweet time in FFXVPE.

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides
iPhone X Space Gray 256 GB
iPad Pro 9.7 128 GB
02-16-2018, 02:21 PM
I also played FFDimensions. And today I played Secret of Mana with another player! That was fun! The game shines in multiplayer where ai don't get stuck all the time!

What game would we want to tackle in a play along?
02-17-2018, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Any news on when the book releases? Not expecting an exact date just an idea and a little something about it
I know you have one buyer right here!
Hey! So I apologize if this is a cop-out, but it will release "when it's done". I can't narrow it down any further than sometime between July and December of this year, as it depends on how quickly I can play and write everything for it. It will be available as an eBook or in hard copy, most likely through Amazon.

The book's tentative title is "Pocket Adventures: A Historical Index of Handheld RPGs and Adventure Games", and it covers every English RPG and adventure game released on Game Boy and Game Gear from 1989 to 1996. It's the first volume of what I hope will be a series. There will be 27 games covered in the first volume, including Final Fantasy Legend, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Shining Force: The Sword of Hayja, The Sword of Hope, Ultima: Runes of Virtue, Defenders of Oasis, Metroid 2, and a whole lot more. Each game's entry has a section dedicated to its history, then the game itself. I've finished four entries so far, so my progress is going alright.

If you want to read it all early, you can subscribe to my Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ShaunMusgrave), where I'm updating each section as I finish them. Patreon subscribers will likely have a way to get the finished book in some form or another for free, but I haven't figured out the details on that yet so don't subscribe on that basis. Otherwise, just hold tight. I'm sure Eli will allow me to announce the book on the front page once it's ready for sale.