Daredevil Dave 2 - Avail Dec 12 2015

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by schplurg, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Wait, so to be clear, this one is going to be 3d? As in, not like the original, in which there were only 2 axises?

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Meaning you can steer the bike...yes. The game has always been in 3D but I think I know what you mean.

I'm having a lot of fun messing up Dave on the level I described in my previous post. My best crash is getting run over by seven cars, bouncing off a building, and hitting the roof of some tunnel-like structure, all in one crash.

3. schplurg

Did I miss my "sometime this summer" release date? :(

Somebody asked me about some "behind the scenes" info since an actual gameplay video can't really be released yet. Maybe we can throw something together this week. I'm trying to get Dave in here to do some sound bites for the game - not all of his howls of pain are recordings from actual crashes! Most...

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    How far are you into completing the game? 75%? 90%?

5. schplurg

I don't know, I was never very good at math ;)

6. schplurg

The game is quite a ways off from being released. New cool stuff keeps getting added, which is great, but it adds to the pile of work to be done.

One thing for sure, it is going to be exponentially better than the first (what does that really mean anyways? Maybe I should name it Daredevil Dave^2). I'm trying to convince Dave to let me put up some kind of video.

7. schplurg

#147 schplurg, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    Hello folks!

Yes, we're still here. It's just that finishing the game takes priority so I haven't been able to post anything. Um, I think the 2011 release date was a bit premature...sigh.

Anyways, thought I'd throw a few images your way. These first two show how antialiasing and filtering affects the look of the game. Most gamers (3D gamers especially) are probably familiar with antialiasing, but if not, take a look at the nice clean edges around the gloves and the building details. Click the links for a bigger image.

Antialias and anisitropic filtering (now I need to make the handlebars look better! Oh and that poorly textured tree trunk on the left lol)
    [​IMG]
    (large version)

old version
    [​IMG]
    (large version)

This particular level is loosely designed around Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, which was the site of one of Evel Knievels most famous jumps/crashes. These shots show an earlier build of the level but I wanted the images to match for a fair comparison.

Other levels have Dave making extra cash as a movie stuntman. These levels usually require you to crash in a spectacular fashion. They may also involve avoiding explosions, gunfire, and other nastiness along the way.

Below: Looks like Dave is about to discover the beauty of the injured groin. Ow! Also, are we liking the crowd in the background? Not sure...opinions?
    [​IMG]
    (large version)

Just to repeat/confirm...this will be a Universal app. Unlike the old game, Dave 2 will be designed around the idea of adding more jumps n stuff. No IAP. It will have Game Center. It will be hella fun!

I still can't post a gameplay video because things are constantly being improved. I'd hate to have the game judged by a video showing an incomplete game (no HUD, temporary game objects etc). With the screencaptures I can at least be careful about what is seen.

HOWEVER, I thought about doing a sort of "behind the scenes" video thing if anyone is interested. That way I can show the unfinished game.

Daredevil Dave is still doing well in the App Store. Still in the top 50 in the racing category. It's been out for over a year and a half...I'm amazed and grateful.

On that note, I would like to give my personal heartfelt thanks to everyone who has supported Dave and myself. It has a been a life-changing experience.

Any (well most) questions, opinions, general comments are welcome!

8. wolfpowpow

wolfpowpow Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Classic! Will try!

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Looking and sounding good. And sure I'm always interested in behind the scenes videos.

10. DtheGOPkiller

DtheGOPkiller Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I would have to kill you if I tell you.
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    Cannot wait.

First one was awesome and original! Cannot wait for this. Any idea of ETA?

11. schplurg

No idea of ETA. It'll be 2 years since Dave #1 was released on May 11th. It would be nice to have it released by then.

One reason for the delay is that I began working on other projects after Daredevil Dave was released. I wanted to do some different games, but after awhile I started to think I should do a Dave sequel instead. The game was really fun to make, and it was pretty successful.

The reasons for not updating the first game in so long are mainly technical. The game was built with older devices and older technology in mind. The 3D engine shows its age too. It would have been a major problem bringing the game up to date, or even fixing it to the point where new content could be added.

Besides, Dave deserves better. The new game is leaps and bounds better than the original. Of course it all comes at a price (to me), all the fancy stuff that the new devices can handle means more work for me. I can design fancier levels, add better lighting, more detailed models and textures.

It's a lot more work. Fortunately, I love it!

:)

12. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Pull yer finger out, I'm stoked for this game!

13. schplurg

Cool, good to hear! I'm working on it every day, I haven't disappeared :)

I'll post a few pics later of what I've been working on...destroyable objects. Getting real-time destroyable, or even moveable, objects to perform well on an iDevice is a little tricky, but it's pretty much all worked out. Brick walls, camera towers, garbage cans...all kinds of stuff can come crashing down on our hero.

In Injury Mode you will get additional points for destroying objects. The more an object is destroyed, the more points, or money or whatever you will receive.

Details are still being worked out for how a few game modes might work. There may be some skill challenges, for example Dave could be challenged to knock over a certain random structure, or cause a certain amount of destruction to complete a jump. The possibilities are many now, and I want to cram it all in there!

14. schplurg

Quick announcement: Daredevil Dave will have support for the new iPad retina display. I always make my art assets as big as I can so I was prepared for this.

Anyways, here are a few images showing some destructible/falling apart object testing. Getting a lot of objects moving and crashing around is no easy task for any game, especially on the phone. Rest assured, the game is littered with destructible items! Many of these serve functions in the game too (well duh, they all do really). I'm having a great time testing this!

As usual, these are just test images in our "sandbox" testing level (iPhone 4). The text readouts may give you a clue as to some of the games new features too ;)

First image:
    I don't know where Dave is but I see his bike smacked that brick wall (well it's just a test wall). Some bricks are just coming down the back side.
    [​IMG]
    Click image to see full size.

Below:
    The camera tower took out part of the taco stand on it's way down. Yes!
    [​IMG]
    Click images to see full size.

15. schplurg

Surely someone has a comment for this...

[​IMG]

Dave starts out the game with no cash (party animal) so he has to build his own bike with whatever he can find. The bike shown isn't quite complete.

That's not just any toilet...the tank is filled with nitrous! Flush that baby and watch it go! Yes, it makes a flushing sound.

16. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Lmao. Nice bike can't wait to take it for a ride. How close to being finished is the game? Any videos yet?

17. schplurg

I really want to release a video, but I'm worried the game may be judged by it, and the game isn't done. I suppose I can release it as such - an unfinished gameplay vid.

Actually, I have an idea. I'm gonna work on one.

18. bug

bug Member

May 12, 2010
    i can't wait for the new DD to come out. when will it be released? Is there going to be an injury mode or any other new game modes? sorry if these questions have been brought up/answered already, i haven't read the entire thread.:eek:

19. schplurg

Injury Mode for sure! Crashing is half the fun...or more. I can't remember the last time I deliberately landed a jump safely during testing. In fact, I usually get bummed when I do! "Aw man, I wanted to crash next to the ramp, not land on it!"

There will be new game modes as well. Some of these (and perhaps Injury Mode as well) will have the added feature of calculating the damage to your bike - as well as the surrounding environment - into your score!

BTW Dave looks great on the new iPad!

Edit:
    And don't be afraid to ask me anything. That's why I'm here. I appreciate the interest :)

20. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    What was this idea you were working on in March, and we won't judge your game by a video, we know how polished the first one was!