How long in submission lately?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by headcaseGames, Mar 21, 2010.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I know there was a super-long thread about this topic ages ago, but digging thru the archives yields no results for me. Is there anyone who has submitted anything to Apple lately who can give me some idea what to expect? Is it days to turnaround, a week, several, etc?

It looks like we are on track to submit Tuesday night and I'd like to promote the game at PAX in Boston next weekend, but I will feel rather foolish if I am trying to sell people a game which isn't available for purchase yet. Thanks for your help!

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Promote the game anyway. Pre-release promotion is one of the most important parts of the release that is overlooked. Make sure you have a business card that directs to info about the game (a blog, site, press-release, whatever).

It is unlikely that your game will be approved in less than a week, so don't count on it. Don't sit on your ass either, be proactive during this crucial time.

3. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Have apple release on a certain day to build countdown hype. Aldo, what is the name of your game? I would like to keep an eye out to see if I am interested.

4. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    It seems like it's been quick for some people lately.

http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/iphone-sdk-development/4320-appstore-wait-thread-134.html

5. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I had 3 apps approved on this past Friday. Two had been submitted early that same morning, one a few days before. A fourth update was submitted early Friday is is still in review.

At current rates, expect approval time between 0 and 3 days.

6. design219

design219 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I submitted my second app late last night (1 am) and this morning I discover that the boss has not submitted the bank info! The first app was a free game app, so that info was not needed. This one is a personal project and is 99ยข, so if he doesn't get that info quick (and he's really busy today), I'm afraid it will go into limbo. Grrrrr.

7. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Updates are usually faster than a new submission. If you have a new submission, I don't think it is normally approved in less than a week.

8. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Your mileage may vary, but I haven't seen any difference in approval times between new or updated apps.

Some examples:

Kung Fu Challenge, a new app, got approved in less than four hours.

The first release of Pocket Boxing Lite was submitted to Apple a full day after a minor update to the full version to Pocket Boxing, yet the new lite App got approved almost immediately, while the Pocket Boxing full update lingered in "waiting for review" status over a week.

9. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    thanks Mondae. our game is called 180. i am working on the trailer & website as i type this. hoping to submit tonight (wednesday)

any other recent submission stories out there, devs?

10. bryanmitchell

bryanmitchell Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Geared v1.2 was approved in about 46 hours.

11. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    Same here, Spirit 1.1 just came out and took about 48 hours

12. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Echoing what the other dev are saying. It was 'in review' in less than 24 hours, but I had a minor issue and had got rejected; had to resubmit the binary. Even with that hiccup, it was approved in 48 hours.

They must have really scaled up their approval team.

13. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i just submitted 7 (seven) application updates - lets see how long :) last time it was approved within 48 hours - but i have a feeling the ipad submission deadline may be affecting some normal application approval times as well.

14. bcarbone

bcarbone Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    iPhone Developer
    Estero, FL
    My free version of Police Chase has been "In Review" for almost 3 days now so review time definitely varies.

15. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I would like to know how long apple takes to answer to a question sent to them thru their developer page web form. It's been days and no reply. :confused: :mad:

16. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    14 hours.

march 24 23:07 - waiting for review
    march 25 13:05 - in review
    march 25 13:33 - ready for sale

28 minutes to review? all seven of my application updates. well done apple!

17. thekellen

thekellen Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    My app Padlock took a three days last week to get approved. I've heard that updates go quicker. My update to Padlock has been waiting for two days so I'm not completely sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if the approval committee got flooded with tons of new iPad apps this week, which could mean longer approval times for a little while. I'm sure Apple wants the iPad launch to be as good as possible, so those apps could get priority.

18. Mykyl66

Mykyl66 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    As new developers we submitted our first app on the 23rd and it was ready for sale on the 25th. As I mentioned in another post that kind of caught us out being so fast.

Cheers

Mike R

19. I'm not sure about what's going on. Our initial 1.0 release went into review in 24 hours, and was approved another hours later.

We quickly rolled out 1.1 because there was an algorithm change, and that's been "waiting for review" for the past 2 days now.

20. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Super Search 60 has been really consistent. The Unlimited version gets reviewed within 24 hours. The Free version (which includes an in-app purchase) takes about 5-6 days!